Volcano II vs Cobb

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That's a bummer. It would be completely worthless to me if you can't burn wood in it. What kind of sticks were you using?
These were just regular old sticks of random pine found around the camp area. None were much bigger than 1" in diameter, and it was hardly crammed full. Frankly, this was just within the first 5 minutes of using the stove. I actually had plans to put much larger pieced of wood in the stove. So, even while I was aware I needed to build a "small wood fire" the small fire I built was even too big.

For $150 with the propane kit - Total fail. Not a product I would recommend and I'm glad I tried it before ordering a couple dozen for our store.

It's getting harder and harder to find equipment that meets my basic standards of quality.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I used wood in mine again with out any problems.

DSCF1072%20blog.jpg

Did you ever contact them about it?

KevX02

Observer
I love my volcano II

Used a Volcano I when I was groing up.

I grill over the top, standard really for wanting to cook good food camping, I have grilled ahi tuna on it with coals so firey hot I thought I'd melt the thing, got a perfect sear all the way around a 2" diameter loin of tuna after about 40-45 seconds.

My main use with the volcano is stacking camp ovens on top of it, up to 4 high, it makes it nice to do spare ribs and potatoes and beans all at once.

Great buy really versitile

matt s

Explorer
Update, I decided to give myself a little fathers day gift. A cobb grill is on the way. Should arrive next week. I will post up some impressions once I get to play with it.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
The paint bubbled on my volcano also, After I built a real fire in it, was also hard to close so I took it apart and straightened things out. I really didn't like it much in the begining but it had its advatages and I think I have worked through the problems. I gues I was to used to cooking over an actual fire like cave men. The volcano offers versitility and compactness that the old coleman does not, it just take some time to get used to there system.

mezmochill

Is outside
I just used my Volcano II for the first time this weekend using wood as the fuel. I give it a complete fail.

I clearly read in the instruction booklet the Volcano II is capable of "small wood fires" and overloading it would void the warranty. Well understood. So, we only filled it with a small pile of sticks. Wouldn't you know it - the enamel paint melted right off the top 1/3rd of the stove. The paint also bubbled on the bottom and folding it closed after wasn't so easy.

I give it a complete fail as a product. Boooooo. Plus, the quality was less than stellar in my opinion.

Does the lack of paint now effect its performance?

We use ours exclusively with wood for cooking and warmth. Works great. I think the paint is mainly to protect from rusting after production but before sale. Paint is ONE form of protectant. For carbon steel oil/patina from use are the best. Dry it off if it gets wet and oil it if your concerned about rust.

Use it.
If you take just moderately descent care of it will last.

Its aesthetics, or lack there of, do not constitute a "complete fail".

Last edited:

aa2300

Observer
As a new owner of a Volcano, I've got to admit I'm a little disappointed. Especially with the propane configuration. It's basically the same burner I have underneath my turkey fryer, but a little smaller. There is a plate for diffusing the heat before it reaches the grill, but it seems pretty lousy to me. Things will cook dead center in the middle, but nowhere else. Going to give charcoal a try this weekend, and if it doesn't work out -- back she goes.

frogers930

Observer
I just bought the Volcano too and I agree with aa2300, the propane attachment is a POS. I did use it with charcoal a couple times during a camping trip last weekend and that worked very well.

My overall opinion so far in limited use is that I like the size, being able to collapse and put in the supplied bag is nice. Construction seems okay but I will defer my final opinion until I get some more use out of it. I bought the lid and using that with charcoal and some hickory chips gave me some nice burgers.

If I were to buy again I would save some $$$ and not get the propane attachment, at this point I don't think I will ever use it.

I will report back after some more use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier