Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best domestic full-size diesel truck?

pskhaat is offline Expedition Portal Moderator 2005 Expedition Trophy Champion

Default Best domestic full-size diesel truck?

I don't know who it was, but I was running around the lake where we are right now and saw this BADASS 4 door Chevy Silverado go by (nice and slow due to the traffic). Now, me saying that is heavy, because this thing was totally tricked for an expedition, and I am not a fan of many domestic models.

It had a mild lift (3-4"), and looked perfectly done (the rear end wasn't dragging) like a SCORE wanna-be, had a slight rake. It had probably 35" tires, but they looked skinny. I could have sworn it was ARB on the front w/front winch, but obviously a custom ARB-look-alike job. I can't believe how nice it looked without the fairing of a front bumper and a high-approach-angle bar.

It had two spare tires positioned longitudinally (sp?) on either side of the headache rack which was integrated into a full cage if you will that extended the roofline all the way atop the bed. Custom rear bumper with rear winch fairlead and hook (gotta assume a rear winch) and build in ladder to get to the top of the cage. Bending down to look at the rear wich I saw a rear fuel tank angled up from the axle to the rear bumper. All of the accessories (like high-lift, shovel & axe, etc) were cleanly mounted.

I've never seen a full-sized truck I wanted more. Again the thing was amazing. Oh yeah, and of course diesel. Aren't the Silverado's 4 wheel steering too?

This got me really thinking of a full-size expedition TRUCK like that. If you built one, what make would you choose and why? Personally, I'd like to do the same get'up on a 4 door 2500 Cummins'd Dodge avec the 6spd manual. Ford 250/350s have PTO option. So much cool stuff.
    Pskhaat (Scott)
    UZJ100 "Mama Kuiser" built to look cool for the soccer mom
    FZJ80 über rare "Geen", cloth'd & locked

I really like the Super-Duty. ARB bumper and some 255/85's with a fourwheel camper
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | TE630

GMC 2500HD with Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. Not as huge or ugly as a Super Duty (sorry, Scott. ) but also unstoppable and very reliable.

This is a bad thread.
    Just got my taco but couple days ago, I heard a 2500HD drove by the turbo diesel sounds so nice. From what I head it's pretty normal for 2500HD diesel to get 20mpg on freeway. The diesel engine will last a LLLOOOONNNGGG time. Ok now I need to stay away from this thread........

Cummins Dodge and 6-speed.
    Garth D
    '99 Durango 5.9 4X4 3.92 gears and rear LSD
    Mods:
    249,000 miles
    31x10.50 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A's
    Tow hook

goodtimes is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by TRXRacing
    Yup. To bad they switched transmissions in 2007...people aren't real happy with them....6th gear is significantly lower than the previous trans. At 75mph, the B series Cummins needs to do little more than an idle....gearing to low is easy to do with them. Hell, even my 3.73's were to low (47RE trans and 305/70R16 tires).
    "Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured" ~someone

flyingwil is offline Overland Training Alumni Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
    Toyota Tundra... That is my vote. Can you really define Domestic anymore?
    Wil Kuhns KF7CDH
    Sierra Expeditions *Forum Sponsor* 866.507.4254
    The only regrets in life are the risks you didn't take.
    Mod Progress Gauge:[||||||----] = 60% Complete.

Quote Originally Posted by TRXRacing

Ditto... SFA and best engine. I'll finish building my expedition vehicle sometime.
    1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc...
    (The neverending project... )

2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/Rolltop Bed Cover/RTT Rack/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs

2002 Hawk Four Wheel Camper

"Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

KD7UEH

Funny, I was just getting ready to ask the same question.

I am seriously thinking of getting a fullsize. I will keep my Tacoma (it's paid for) and "give" it to my girlfriend.

...and since Toyota doesn't have a fullsize diesel yet (damn!)

So which is the better one?

I am thinking manual transmisson, either crew cab short box, or extra cab long box with a 4-Wheel camper. It will be used for yanking a trailer full of race bikes, and the occasional offroad trip.

The only lift I have seen for the Chevys is a drop IFS...which I would see as a weak point.

More opinions please.
    Last edited by Clutch; 02-24-2007 at 02:42 AM.

goodtimes is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Poseur
    The steering system on the chevy's really leaves alot to be desired (look at the tie rod ends sometime.....). I also prefer the inline engines....and you won't find them under the hood of a ford or chevy. The B series Cummins is to the diesel world what the small block chevy was to the gasser world. But honestly, right now I would wait a couple of years and see what the new diesel fuel brings in. I suspect we will be seeing a good number of new diesel offerings....

But it would be hard to go wrong with a dodge and a 4 wheel pop up.
    "Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured" ~someone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast