Best domestic full-size diesel truck?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Louie,

I think the Superduty is the best overall package, but I would never own the 6.0 Powerstroke. Every single person I know who has one has been plagued with engine problems, whereas the 7.3 you have is a good motor.

And I'd prefer the solid axle too, so I'd go with the Dodge if I was buying a brand new truck right now.

It's too bad you can't buy a perfect truck. Every one will have a weak link of some sort.

Bella PSD

Explorer
The "perfect" truck would be a Ford SD with a Cummins and a 6 speed. I would not have a 6.0L myself. But I do know lots of people without one problem with thier 6.0L. I think the 2nd best truck is a Ford SD with a 7.3L!!

The 6.4L Maxxforce IH twin turbo should be a good motor!!;) (I hope)

Louie

viter

Adventurer
pskhaat said:
I don't know who it was, but I was running around the lake where we are right now and saw this ************ 4 door Chevy Silverado go by (nice and slow due to the traffic)...

I could have sworn it was ARB on the front w/front winch, but obviously a custom ARB-look-alike job.
somewhat off topic but...
arb makes bumpers for chevys too now -
chevy.jpg

Silverado.jpg

I wonder if you can get a chevy in australia, I didn't think so...

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
viter said:
I wonder if you can get a chevy in australia, I didn't think so...

Yep, Dodge too. They are imported and converted to Left Hand Drive. Cost for a new converted deisel, crew cab, short box, 4x4 is about $95-105K AUD. Oh, and it takes about 6 months and $20,000 for the conversion.

There are a lot of Ford Super Duties, because until Jan you could buy one at your local Ford Dealer. Chevy and Dodge are not as common, but they are there. Quite a few Suburbans too (they were sold as Holdens for several years)

Cheers
Mark

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
For what it's worth here's my thoughts.
Last summer I checked into gettin' a new truck and since I'm an old school straight axle guy that left only the Superduty and the Hd Dodges. Then I saw the sticker prices on these rigs and realized that a truck, the price of a modest house, that was going to lose it's value to about half of what you paid for it in five years time didn't make alot of since to me.
We have an '89 Dodge cummins and with almost 500,000 miles on it it still runs stong, though there is not a staight panel on it after all these years. I think for guys itchin' for a diesel but don't need it for work or serious towing there are alot of older early 90's Ford and Dodges diesels that make great rigs and can now be had for a good price since alot of diesel guys gravitate to the latest and greatest mantra. Used Trucks; Diesel Power without soul gripping payments.
Around Here Fords and Dodges are equally popular with the guys that use the trucks hard for work, Oil and Gas drillers and Loggers. Chevy Diesel you don't see much in a back woods work site, but are popular with for trailer haulers, and Farmers.
I belong to a couple of local offraod "clubs" here, and while the Superduty and Cummins boys like to play in the mud, you don't see to many late model Chevys, unless they are parked at a truck show.
Oh, this too. Diesel drag racing is very popular here, and Chevys seem to come out on top more than not. Ok that probably has little intrest in this forum but black smoke on a dragstrip is cool.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
The ISB Cummins trumps the Isuzu Duramax in every way except a mild bit of power but it doesn't feel any less strong. The New 6.7 will trump them all. 6.0 Superduty's are fun trucks, but the reliability is really poor. As for Chevy, I thionk they're pretty boring rides with about the poorest interior fit and finish around not to mention the number of TSB's issued (second only to Ford for SD's head studs and gaskets). The Allison is nice, but the New Asin in the Dodges will be more than a match when you factor in the low cost availability of a factory exhaust brake and Tow haul features nearly identical to the Allisson. As for looks, Ford wins IMO, but Dodges look great with armor too. Chevy, again, just a plain jane looking rig (wich can be good sometimes too).

If I had my dream Fully/Camping/Tow rig, I'd get a Mega Cab std bed Cummins HO equiped 6sp manual Dodge no questions asked.

I drive an 05 Superduty for work and I really like the size of the rear seats and the utiliuty of the thing, but as hot rod as the motor is, alot of little things are gong tits up on it after not alot of miles (like 30k). It looks great espescialy on teh 35in MT-KMs and the Manual is nice since it in typical Ford Fashion has a granny first (awsome if you've got a load or a big trailer on) but it's ALOT clunkier than say my uncles manual Dodge.

I've only driven an Auto Shiv, and since I really dislike the disconected feel of slush boxes, it really didn't appeal to me. The motor is powerful enough, but it doesn't feel like the snorty grunty diesel's in either the Ford or Dodge, and I'm a realy sucker for a Cummins with a straight pipe, they sound like dump trucks/big pieces fo heavy machinery. Not to mention the Dodge with a Manual feels like it's a 5 ton ferrari when you get on it, same with the Ford they're fun too.

Cheers

Dave

Clutch

<---Pass
I would say my only gripe about diesels is that damn smell....

I grew up in a construction family, and you guessed it worked for the family business for a number of years. So everytime in traffic I smell that god awful odor it reminds me of sitting on that damn machine in the blaring sun or the freezing cold,...getting that ground in grease in my hands that never seems to come clean. You get the picture....I hate that damn smell! That would be the one reason I wouldn't buy a diesel.....and oh yeah the $50K+ price tag!

On other hand my dirt bike buddy is running Bio-diesel in his Excursion....now the smell of something like castor beans burning is a beautiful thing!

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
Rob,

All those "pull off" or "tug of war" stunts prove is who ever has their traction goes first gets pulled. Not anything to do with real power and torque.

I say get a used truck as was stated above. An older Dodge or a Ford with the reliabile 7.3L would be best!! Get a 6 speed too, if you can find one!

I got the X plan back in 02 and out the door, fully loaded (6 speed) tax and all was $35,000. 0% loan for 36 months and no money down too!! After 5 plus years it “could” cost me about $2000 a year “if I was to sell it today” for $24,000 (I could get more!!)

I think when it comes to buying a new, expensive, diesel pick up truck (35-45K plus) you need to thing long term. I am keeping mine for a loooong time. I promised my wife I would keep it 15 years the day we ordered it. Less than 10 to go!!

Louie

Bella PSD

Explorer
The T 444E Diesel gets about 16.5 MPG on winter blend diesel fuel and about 18 MPG in the Spring, Summer and Fall. When the truck was new I could get 20-21 MPG on the highway. Problem is the truck has grown to about 7900 LBS empty. A 5” lift, 35” tires on 16x10 rims, plus the 6” high roof rack with 35” spare tire up top does not help!!

The 16.5 MPG on winter blend and 18 MPG on summer diesel fuel are “average MPG”. (Driving both city and highway 50/50) I can get into the 19-19.5 MPG area if I baby it on the highway (stay under/at 2000 RPM at about 65 mph). The last trip I took to the North Carolina running about 75 mph and about 9000 lbs I got round trip 17.78 MPG.
If I would have dropped to 65 mph I am sure I would have been at 18.2-18.5 MPG.

I have tracked every gallon of diesel fuel ever run through the truck. I keep a logbook and top off to the fuel neck every time. So the numbers posted are real world and not guessing.

Louie

slooowr6

Explorer
Wow, 9000lbs, 65mph, ~18mpg. :drool:
Diesel definetly has it's charm. If the low sulfur diesel can sovled the "smell" problem with diesel, I'll get one in 10 years, I just got the Taco.:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles