Best domestic full-size diesel truck?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I don't know who it was, but I was running around the lake where we are right now and saw this ************ 4 door Chevy Silverado go by (nice and slow due to the traffic). Now, me saying that is heavy, because this thing was totally tricked for an expedition, and I am not a fan of many domestic models.

It had a mild lift (3-4"), and looked perfectly done (the rear end wasn't dragging) like a SCORE wanna-be, had a slight rake. It had probably 35" tires, but they looked skinny. I could have sworn it was ARB on the front w/front winch, but obviously a custom ARB-look-alike job. I can't believe how nice it looked without the fairing of a front bumper and a high-approach-angle bar.

It had two spare tires positioned longitudinally (sp?) on either side of the headache rack which was integrated into a full cage if you will that extended the roofline all the way atop the bed. Custom rear bumper with rear winch fairlead and hook (gotta assume a rear winch) and build in ladder to get to the top of the cage. Bending down to look at the rear wich I saw a rear fuel tank angled up from the axle to the rear bumper. All of the accessories (like high-lift, shovel & axe, etc) were cleanly mounted.

I've never seen a full-sized truck I wanted more. Again the thing was amazing. Oh yeah, and of course diesel. Aren't the Silverado's 4 wheel steering too?

This got me really thinking of a full-size expedition TRUCK like that. If you built one, what make would you choose and why? Personally, I'd like to do the same get'up on a 4 door 2500 Cummins'd Dodge avec the 6spd manual. Ford 250/350s have PTO option. So much cool stuff.

asteffes

Explorer
GMC 2500HD with Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. Not as huge or ugly as a Super Duty (sorry, Scott. :) ) but also unstoppable and very reliable.

slooowr6

Explorer
This is a bad thread. :ar15:
Just got my taco but couple days ago, I heard a 2500HD drove by the turbo diesel sounds so nice. From what I head it's pretty normal for 2500HD diesel to get 20mpg on freeway. The diesel engine will last a LLLOOOONNNGGG time. Ok now I need to stay away from this thread........

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
TRXRacing said:
Cummins Dodge and 6-speed.

Yup. To bad they switched transmissions in 2007...people aren't real happy with them....6th gear is significantly lower than the previous trans. At 75mph, the B series Cummins needs to do little more than an idle....gearing to low is easy to do with them. Hell, even my 3.73's were to low (47RE trans and 305/70R16 tires).

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny, I was just getting ready to ask the same question.

I am seriously thinking of getting a fullsize. I will keep my Tacoma (it's paid for) and "give" it to my girlfriend.

...and since Toyota doesn't have a fullsize diesel yet (damn!)

So which is the better one?

I am thinking manual transmisson, either crew cab short box, or extra cab long box with a 4-Wheel camper. It will be used for yanking a trailer full of race bikes, and the occasional offroad trip.

The only lift I have seen for the Chevys is a drop IFS...which I would see as a weak point.

More opinions please.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The steering system on the chevy's really leaves alot to be desired (look at the tie rod ends sometime.....). I also prefer the inline engines....and you won't find them under the hood of a ford or chevy. The B series Cummins is to the diesel world what the small block chevy was to the gasser world. But honestly, right now I would wait a couple of years and see what the new diesel fuel brings in. I suspect we will be seeing a good number of new diesel offerings....

But it would be hard to go wrong with a dodge and a 4 wheel pop up.:punk03:

CLynn85

Explorer
My dad has a 2004 Ford F250 and he absolutely loves it. It's a nice riding truck for an HD and comfortably seats 6 if the occasion calls for it. We only use it for home improvement trips, towing our pontoon boat, or a car trailer here and there.

His company on the other hand only runs Chevy/GMC trucks, and they've had nothing but problems with the new Duramax diesels. One of the trucks has had problems running hot since day one, especially when towing (big requirement for the job). Two of the others have had injection problems multiple times.

The Ford SD's are still my favorite, if I ever have the need for a full size tow rig that is...

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
My boss has replaced the transmission twice and the torque converter and transmission cooler once on his 2002 F350. 85k miles on truck. His trailer he is towing is only around 10,000 lbs.

His neighbor has a newer model with the 6.0 Powerstroke and has replaced the engine once and the transmission once and he has less than 75k miles. He is towing a slightly heavier trailer.

Frankly, I'd try the Dodge myself.

Clutch

<---Pass
GoodTimes,

Could you direct me to the new diesel? What are they changing about it? I know as of right now, the USA has some of the dirtiest diesels out there...is that right?

The new 2007 PowerWagons aren't too bad looking either. Almost ashame to put a boxy 4WheelCamper on there.

I know very little about diesel other than it smells funny...and the engines make gobs of torque.

I rented a Bobcat mini excavator last year, I was amazed how much power that machine had now, over the ones I ran 15 years ago.

getImage.do

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Kermit said:
GoodTimes,

Could you direct me to the new diesel? What are they changing about it? I know as of right now, the USA has some of the dirtiest diesels out there...is that right?http://www.bobcat.com/publicadmin/getImage.do?id=15229&width=400

To clarify, I was referring to the new EPA standards on diesel fuel sulfur content. We (the USA) are now on the same standard as the rest of the world (<15ppm sulfur). From what I understand, this has been the biggest reason some manufacturers have not imported many diesels....the lack of ultra-low sulfur fuel for them. Now that the playing field is level with regards to fuel, I suspect we will start to see some cool stuff.

As a bonus for moto riders....the new blend doesn't stink nearly as bad, so when you are behind a diesel (waiting for traffic to clear so you can pass them....), you stand a better chance of not choking and puking inside your helmet while sucking their exhaust.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I hope this tread does not get ugly!!

I went with the Ford. Back in 02, Dodge did not have a crew cab and well it was a Dodge.... I have owned one to many K cars to go back to Dodge. Chevy has IFS....NO THANKS!!!

So Ford CC with solid axles it was. The only question was the Internaional 444 engine. I liked the Cummins but just did not want that Dodge. After 5 years with the IH I could not be any more pleased!! You should here that turbo spool up and then shift the 6 speed tranny and then it spools again....:hehe: My exhaust exits out in front of the rear tire so you can really hear it good!

Many claim the Cummins better than IH BUT that just does not hold up with me. They BOTH get the same life out of them, "average" about 350,000 before overhaul(most go many miles more). Both can be tuned to about 400 HP and get 17-20 MPG for the same money. Now if you want 1000 HP, then the Cummins is your way to go. But for 99.9% of the people out buying trucks you can NOT go wrong with any of the domistic diesels(GM/Isuzu, Dodge/Cummins, Ford/International) I like all 3 diesels. It comes down to the trucks they are in. For me its Ford SD then Dodge then Chevy. I only put Chevy last because of the IFS.

Louie:REOutCampFire03:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles