Catalytic cleaner

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
My 04 Liberty failed the emissions test and it needs new catalytic converters which will be about 1500 to 1800 dollars. Saw catalytic converter cleaner which states that it will take careof clogged catalytic converters so they will pass emissions. Wondering if any one has heard or used a product like this?

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I keep reading of the new cars costing upwards of $1000 to get the cats changed..seems a bit high....I found cats for 200 on ebay for an 04 liberty, install shouldnt be that much.
Now if you live in my wonderful state(California) you have to get the "carb legal" cats..which from my research are no differnet except for the carb cert..I need a new cat on my Dodge and am in the process of checking prices...last time it cost around 300 for a new one , installed..

GreenToys

Observer
wow that much to replace CC these days! are they sure it's the CC? I haven't tried those "magic fix in a bottle", but last year when our toyota was losing power on uphills and keeps the EGR overheating, I disconnected the muffler first, drove it and it's the same. next I disconnected the CC and I saw the cells inside kinda look like inside a beehive... it's totally clogged! drove the car w/o the CC and power was back! so I ended up buying an aftermarket CC online, oh! and some gasket. if I remember it cost me around 200 plus shipping and I just installed it myself. on mine there are only 4 bolts and it's out, but if you got rust in there, be ready with a grinder. sorry I know I didn't help you with your question, but I can't imagine how a liquid in a bottle can help unclogged those pores, I can't even push those clogged materials with a stiff wire.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
The left cat is 365 and the right is 275. The rest is a new y pipe from the engine. All the shops around here won't guarantee it passing emissions and tell me I have to go to the dealer as they are the only ones that will guarantee that it will pass. Trying to get it pass as cheap as possible right now as I'm going thru a divorce and have child support for 2 marriages.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Does Mass have anything limit on what you have to spend to get a waiver for the year? MD used to have like a $500 to $750 limit on repairs that would get you off actually passing.

I'm a bit surprised that you're cats have gone bad. How much highway time was it running before it got to get tested? My WRX wont' pass a CA smog unless its been run pretty hard right before getting there. Seems to take some work to get the cats up to temp.

TOTJ

Adventurer
What is the Warrenty in your state for cats.
Here in CALIFORNIA is 100,000 miles.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
My warranty is 80,000 miles, Drove it about 40 miles on the highway before the inspection. Plugged it in and get the code for the lower left bank which is the catalytic converter.:smiley_drive:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Read the bottle...

I suggest you read the entire bottle of "magic stuff". See if anywhere it mentions that it contains Acetone. If it does then save your money. Every jeep I've ever owned that needed to be sniffed I did/do this.
Use up almost all the gas in the tank then...
Give it a normal tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, rotor...whatever. Full montey)
Pour in about a spray paint cans cap worth of Acetone (available at any hardware store or Wallyworld in the paint section) then fill up with high octane "good gas". If you can find a gas station that is just refilling their underground tanks...even better. You don't wnat "old" gas.
Then, drive around for a while...stop and go and highway, to get the entire drivetrain all warmed up.
Take it in for the test...
Just my opinion and its what I have always done...Only had a couple over the years that wouldn't pass...but they were dying anyway...and did shortly after.:sombrero:
GoodLuck

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you for that link. I called and talked to a salesman and he said to have a engine diagnosis done. He said it may not be the cat. May be the o2 sensors.

Verbalkint99

Observer
Not sure how it is in your state, but here in Michigan I had a 96 Ram that the Cat went bad on. It was at 75k miles and I was at least the second owner. Took it in to the dealership (one that I had never been to, and that the truck was not from) and they put in a brand new converter free of any charge to me per state law. I would look into that first before spending money on anything.

inked33

Adventurer
you can use a laser thermometer to test and see if your cat is bad. let the engine warm up and take a reading right before the cat and a reading after the muffler. if the temperature is hotter before the cat then it is clogged and needs to be replaced, if its hotter at the muffler then your cat is fine. most autoparts stores will have them for loan if you dont have one

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
My 04 Liberty failed the emissions test and it needs new catalytic converters which will be about 1500 to 1800 dollars. Saw catalytic converter cleaner which states that it will take careof clogged catalytic converters so they will pass emissions. Wondering if any one has heard or used a product like this?

A non functional post cat o2 sensor will have no effect on the sniffer portion of the test but can throw a check engine light, So did it fail on exhaust output or for a check engine light?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles