Volant intake and Snorkel

davidshourd

Adventurer
installed the volant intake on Monday evening and got the snorkel on last night. new toys! the volant intake made a nice difference from the K&N intake I had. then the snorkel seemed to restrict flow a little at lower speeds but sounds awesome. then at higher speeds the snorkel seems to excell and ram the air into the intake. I have some more shots I will try and get up later that show my truck with some holes in the fender, good times.

Attachments

• P6070025.JPG
    P6070025.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P6070027.JPG
    P6070027.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 40

mcm4090

Explorer
congrats David. How did you get the volant hookedup to the snorkle?

Get ready for people to stare, point and you can even see there lips say "what the F is that".:snorkel:

davidshourd

Adventurer
congrats David. How did you get the volant hookedup to the snorkle?

Get ready for people to stare, point and you can even see there lips say "what the F is that".:snorkel:

the stares have already started. went and filled up last night and the whole gas station was over looking and talking to me.

I have not got the snorkel "sealed" to the volant intake yet. I am still trying to figure that part out. its an oval hole in the fender/volant intake, with a round snorkel pipe pokeing into it. I am thinking of getting some thin aluminum sheet metal and making a closure around it and then caulking it up.

What air box do you have on your MCM?

davidshourd

Adventurer
Looks like from the snorkel "de-structrions" it would have been a bit nicer of a fit to the stock air box. For some reason I tossed mine when I moved a couple years ago! ohh well, I will figure out something.

Question for ya MCM: do you get much snow where you are? have you driven in just driving snow and/or rain and had any problems wil mositure getting to the filter? I made a couple small drain holes in the very lowest point of the volant intake, but that does not stop rain/snow going down the snorkel and blowing onto the filter. thoughts?

mitssan

Observer
The snorkle looks great! I miss the one on my old truck. It seems the snorkle is the one thing you can do to your truck that makes it clear to people you actually off road and aren't just a poser. Everyone lifts and runs nobby tires. Tons of trucks have bumpers, when was the last time you saw a stock bumper on an Toyota FJ? Nobody understands what sliders do and just think they are nerf bars. But a snorkle makes it clear.

I had had the see concern with the Safari snorkle on my old truck. A friend showed me that the "head" on your snorkle is wider than the pipe it conects to, and it should have drain holes around the lower edge. The idea is that water moving at high speeds contacts the inside of the head then drains away, not collecting in the snorkle itself.

Why did you pick this snorkle and where did you get it?
Can you us more about the install. How did you attach the snorkle to the A pillar? Was it hard to locate and cut the hole since it's on a body line? How did you protect the cut area from rusting.

A snorkle is high on my list of future mods.

Thanks
Maurie

davidshourd

Adventurer
Thanks man. The install was not too bad, took about 3 hours. the snorkel can be purchased from Calmini.com, 4x4parts.com or ruggedrocksoffroad.com. I am sure there are other resources, but those are the two I know of. made by Air Flow (I think its an australian company). the snork is made specificly for the Navara Diesel and pathfinders, but we have the same body lines so that is not an issue. I did have to cut down some of the pipe that lives in side of the fender. it appears the gas intake is closer to the back then the diesel intake that it was designed on. the snork attaches to the piller with a couple little brackets that screw into the piller. The snork also comes with a big paper template that lines up with body lines, you tape that on then punch some dimples onto the truck of where to drill the holes. it worked out for the most part, but I did end up driling the larger 3 1/2" hole first that the snork goes through then put all the studs on the back of the snorkel and painted the ends of them with some black paint. at that point you can just push the snork up against the body and the studs will leave a small black dot from teh ends of the studs everywhere you need to drill. it worked well for me and seemed to cut down on the stress level of trusting a crumbled paper template.

I seem to be having troubles uploading right now. I will get some more pictures from the install up later.

Attachments

• P6070021.JPG
    P6070021.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 27
  • P6070018.JPG
    P6070018.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 22
  • P6070026.JPG
    P6070026.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

mcm4090

Explorer
Question for ya MCM: do you get much snow where you are? have you driven in just driving snow and/or rain and had any problems wil mositure getting to the filter? I made a couple small drain holes in the very lowest point of the volant intake, but that does not stop rain/snow going down the snorkel and blowing onto the filter. thoughts?

We actually had a 3 blizzard this pass winter. No normal for here but I did drive it everyday in the snow (most playing around). After the first blizzard I did open the box see if snow or water had made is way down but never found any.

davidshourd

Adventurer
We actually had a 3 blizzard this pass winter. No normal for here but I did drive it everyday in the snow (most playing around). After the first blizzard I did open the box see if snow or water had made is way down but never found any.

Thats good to hear! I am sure I am going to still be paranoid the first few times driving down I90 going 70 with the wonderful Oregon mist/rain! Thanks for the input man. :snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles