A cheap, pretty quiet 12V fan

Ironduff

Observer
For those who like a little breeze.... I was at WalMart to pick up a small fan for the house. I noticed a 10" 'battery or plug-in' portable fan on the shelf. It was designed to run on 8 'D' cells... which means 12V... Ah, ha! So I took it home, cut the wire to the wall wart, and substituted a male cigarette lighter plug. Took it out to the Tiger, and sure 'nuff, it works fine. It moves less air than my $60 Fantastic Fan Endless Breeze, but not by much.

If you reverse the polarity when you connect the splice, it's gonna run backwards, of course. It's 2 speed, and the wall wart is rated for .5 amp at 12VDC, so it's not too power hungry.

Look for the 10" "O2 Cool" brand, model number 1145. About $14, on the same shelf as the other small fans. They also have a 5" model, but it runs off of 2 1.5 volt batteries, so 12V would probably fry it quick...

There's pretty much space left over in the folding battery box / base. I'm thinking about it as a hiding spot, maybe for a little cash. And I've got a left-over 12V 'Energy Star qualified' wall wart to inspire some future project.

(For tent camping, an unmodified one will supposedly 40-60 hours on low speed on 8 D cells.)

Jim H.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
X2.
I've got the smaller version that I bought at the world's most evil retailer, takes 4 D batteries, for $5.00 on clearance a couple winters ago. Works great.

CSG

Explorer
I went for an Endless Breeze a couple years ago for the van (which has no roof vents or fans) and it's been a godsend. I'm not a guy who does stuff so figuring out the WM fan would have been beyond me. :D

I think I paid $40ish for mine.

Honu

lost on the mainland
endless breeze here ? its nice when cooking and blow away the heat etc..

also nice with those portable misting systems here in the AZ heat pump them up and let it go nice place to get cool in front of and cool the kids off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior