2010 Dodge Cummins 3/4 Ton Crew Cab

sapper

Adventurer
That flush mount rear light setup is pretty slick - where did you get them? I couldn't bring myself to put a utility light hanging down from the rear bumper because I know I will tear it off as soon as I get it mounted.

Actually they are a rubber grommet trailer light grommet. (Drilled with a 4.5" hole saw) and 35 watt 4" headlight bulb. They just push in to mount them once the hole is drilled. A good parts store will have a 4" headlight bulb and the trailer grommets. I think all in they cost me $16. They should be bright enough to see from the truck mirrors when backing up and well protected.

Also the grommets allow you to mount the light in a spot that is not truely flat as the bumper itself has some curve to it but it holds the lights very well.

bdbecker

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Sapper. I started doing some measurements last night and it looks like my F150 bumper is significantly smaller than your Dodge bumper - the 4.5" hole will be much too large to look normal. I haven't even looked for lights or grommets yet, maybe I'll be able to find something smaller.

sapper

Adventurer
Well I have a lot done in the last couple of days. Drove 600kms to get my canopy on less than 3/4 of a tank (very happy).

I have the bed sprayed now as well as in the side bins on the canopy and the bins under the truck. I am glad to have the carpet gone from the outside of the vehicle.

I also have the bed slide in the truck but the mounting methods are less than to my liking. Once I get home next week I will get some 1/4" mounting bars to go under the bed floor to secure the bed without the use of the provided "pins" I am very happy with the way things are turning out so far.

My camera will be dropped of today to hopefully get repaired because right now it is busted.

Pictures to follow. I am hoping to get a bunch of pictures from my trip into the rockies this weekend helping my brother move.

06QuadRam

Observer
I am going to have to steal that rear bumper light idea. I had mine hanging down last time - while it looked cool, this looks way better.

Outback

Explorer
I think all of us here on E.P. have more than one thing in common with your intro to this thread. I would suggest an At Flippac fold out camper. These are pretty well made and make for some quick camp setups! Also check out the Staun internal bead locks. I think you will like them better than dual mechanical bead locks which should be re-torqued once a month and all bolts and nuts replaced annually. At least thats what is recommended by most DOT certified manufacturers. Good luck with your build. It looks like a great one!

sapper

Adventurer
Well I added 3000 kms in the last week. 1800 towing a trailer to help my brother move. Towing the trailer threw the rockies was actually great. I never had a lack of power or braking on the hills. The tow/hall mode with the exhaust brake was great I never felt the truck racing down hills and never had a lack of power up hills.

I also got the canopy put on and sprayed the bed, in floor bins, and tool bins in the canopy. I wanted a platform style roof rack but I endded up with something which is useless for me. The dealer is working with me to get me what I wanted in the first place. I was a bit disapointed with the fit and finish of the cap. There is some cosmetic things I want fixed and I hope they can do it, if not I will do it myself. I now know why this canopy was cheaper than the ARE units.

HPIM2947.jpg

HPIM2942.jpg

HPIM2946.jpg

HPIM2943.jpg

HPIM2945.jpg

I also have the bed slide in the truck and just need to cut a bunch of flat stock to secure it for use, same for my air bags.

Before I got the canopy I ordered a bunch of LED lights of ebay which are now all here and I will hopefully have them installed by the end of the week before I have to go back to work.

I really need to find a bug screen for the front soon. The coolers are packed full of bugs and fluff from all the trees. I need to do this ASAP as it looks like concrete in the front of the rads and I never had this issue with my old screen.

I also got to meet the guys from www.gocms.com and get a very detailed look at thier new 6.4 Hemi JK.

HPIM2937.jpg

sapper

Adventurer
Well I got the lights in the canopy wired and tested but I need to do some cleanup. I also got the bed slide mounted, which was a PITA.

IMG_0077.jpg

Review of the lights

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=659328#post659328

Now I also have to finish mounting all my tools and hi-lift. I am trying to maximize the spaces I have to work with. I should have my axe/shovel and pick mounted by the end of the weekend. I am having a hard time finding decent diesel fuel cans (military style) scepter cans. I should be able to fit 4 fuel cans (80 L) infront of the bed slide accross the back of the box which will help keep things from sliding off the bed slide.

Still working with the dealer for my canopy for the rack I wanted in the first place I wanted to have the platform top so I would have my solar panel mounted but no such luck yet.

805gregg

Adventurer
Not a Dodge, it's a Ram, no more Dodge trucks, the bone heads that control Chrysler sold the truck division to Tata of India. But not the Dodge name.

sapper

Adventurer
Well I was able to get a lot done today. The truck is mostly ready to roll. I got it loaded with most of the stuff I normally carry and I just need to finish mounting the Pick head and the handle. I need to hit the hardware store to get some more fasteners.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

I was able to get the air bags mounted and the air fittings all plumbed in but I need to figure out what air pressure I need to have the bags at for different duties. I was surprised how much the bed end raised already with what I normally carry in the truck.

IMG_0217.jpg

I still need to take everything back out and get a photo log of everything for insurance reasons and I still need to add a few other items like oil, spare filters and such. I have space in front of the bed slide for 4 5 gal jerry cans but I am having a hard time finding diesel cans. I also still need to finish wiring in the 3rd brake light on the canopy. I still have 4 light force lights to mount as well once I decide were I want to put them as well as the 15watt solar panel.

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

sapper

Adventurer
I also put a screen in front of the rads because after the trip last week it was really packed with bugs and tree fluff. I hated the factory Christmas tree style plugs to hold the cover in but I stole some from the wife’s JK which I will replace tomorrow after a trip to the parts store. I had to drill the holes out to 21/32 and the jeep ones fit perfectly. I can now access the rads very easily without replacing the plugs each time to clean out the debris.

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

All in all I did get a lot done today but I still need to try and make the wife happy and get all the yard work done. At least trips to the dump will be easier to do.

sapper

Adventurer
Nice truck Jay, good to see you over here.
Mark.

Thanks for the complement, coming from you it means a lot to me.

I had wondered what you were up to after to sold RMOR to some "interesting" individuals.

Do you have a website for your new endeavours? I was always a fan of your work.

I am still working on my buggy slowly but I the last couple of years I have been away with work more than I am home.

sapper

Adventurer
Jeepers, those tires look small on that truck. Time for some bigger ones, imo.

Yes the plan is to later add larger tires as I would like at least 35's if not 37's but not different rims. I was considering using H1 wheels but I would rather like to avoid the lack of choices in the 16.5 rim size and I want to maintain towing capacity so I think I will be going with 19.5's when these tires get low on tread and the bank account is back up a bit after all the recent spending.

I also need (actually want) and H&S mini max or black max to gain a few MPG on this truck and delete the DPF, cat and EGR, sooner than later I want to increase engine longevity and stop fueling during the exhaust stroke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste