Camping with a weapon

Viggen

Just here...
So, most camping here in my area on the East coast is deep in the woods and remote. Theres always a hunting knife in my car but I was curious as to how many people camp with a sidearm? Im not looking for a political debate but curious. Camping at an established site, probably not a consideration. Camping deep in the woods where it is just you, your truck, companion (who spawned the question as I think about planning a multiday trip) and whatever/ whomever wanders your way. Maybe?

Im sure this has come up before but I couldnt find it and Im not even sure this is the right section or not.

jsmarine

Adventurer
So, most camping here in my area on the East coast is deep in the woods and remote. Theres always a hunting knife in my car but I was curious as to how many people camp with a sidearm? Im not looking for a political debate but curious. Camping at an established site, probably not a consideration. Camping deep in the woods where it is just you, your truck, companion (who spawned the question as I think about planning a multiday trip) and whatever/ whomever wanders your way. Maybe?

Im sure this has come up before but I couldnt find it and Im not even sure this is the right section or not.

Yep, it has come up. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40094&highlight=weapon

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Given the bizzare people out there. I take a 9. The recent shootings up on the Blue Ridge Parkway make my case and point.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Pretty much always take mine w/ me. Came a lot closer than I'd like to actually needing it on 2 trips last summer. In CO open carry is pretty much accepted when you get off the beaten path, and we have very good laws around carrying in a vehicle. Make sure you are in accordance with all local laws when you carry.

ForealBoreal

Observer
I bring the mossberg 500 18.5 inch barrel shotgun filled with slugs.
Doesn't hurt with a hungry yogi around.
I love that I get put through a fisheries course every year for shotgun bear safety.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
It's maybe more of hand howitzer than a side arm but when I camp remote I always take my S&W .460 XVR. :elkgrin:

xtatik

Explorer
With all the lions, tigers, bears, crackheads, zombies, yeti's that are mentioned on this site in conjunction with guns.....I'm left wondering if many here just aren't really mentally prepared/experienced enough for backcountry travel. It isn't for everyone, and many here come across sounding like they just don't feel comfortable out there. The best way to know if it's important or not, is to spend enough time in the sticks without one and you'll know.
If you are an experienced outdoors person, your answer to yourself and your partner should be simple. From your question, I'm assuming you've never needed it in the past.............? So, what's been your experience.
Most of my friends and I have spent our lifetimes outdoors.....climbing, backpacking, flyfishing, hunting, etc. None of us even remotely feels it necessary to pack a gun during backcountry travel inthe contiguous states. Here are a few exceptions we make.....one, is while hunting (no-brainer). Second, is when on our Alaskan fishing trips, and we leave that business to the guides. Truth is, individually we've had many encounters, primarily with Black Bears, and cats. Most of those encountered amounted to views of them desperately running in the opposite direction to avoid contact with us.
Most of the wildlife attacks in North America are resultant from human stupidity. If you leave the gun at home and bring your brain with you, you'll be just fine. As for human interactions, I would venture a guess that there are far more crimes and opportunities to become a victim of a crime occurring daily within a mile of your home than will ever be realized in the boonies.

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I shot a possibly rabbid possum this morning while walking my dog. It was walking in circles and falling over, so it may have been drunk. I walked back to the jeep and got some garbage bags, double bagged it and threw it in dumpster. Hopefully nothing will eat it. I carry a S&W airlite .38. The possum is the first thing besides paper plates that it's ever shot

edit: before anyone jumps on a soapbox, this possum's fur was matted, it's eyes kinda bugged, it was definitely severely ill. I was able to nudge it with my boot.

Last edited:

08whitex

Adventurer
I always carry. I have a Ruger LCP in my pocket as I am typing this response. I would rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it. I have watched tv shows where hikers have been attacked by mountain lions. Those hikers have always said I didn't feel I needed to carry a gun. I have come across 4 mountains lions in Crown King AZ on a hike, they ran away very fast but what if there were cubs? I hope I never have to use a gun while hiking or camping but if I do I will be prepared.

dumolebob

Observer
Bear Spray

Aside from firearms – what about “Bear Spray”? No human being could remain aggressive towards you once he/she got even a tiny shot of bear pepper spray! A good shot might very well kill 'em!:wings:

Oh my gosh! That stuff is P O W E R F U L:Wow1::drool::wings:

D

Deleted member 9101

Kimber 1911 everywhere I go.

xtatik

Explorer
I have come across 4 mountains lions in Crown King AZ on a hike, they ran away very fast but what if there were cubs?

That is awesome that you were able to see so many cats on a single hike. Almost too difficult to believe actually....But, hey good for you! On this merit alone you've surpassed the number of sightings that even the most active outdoor person might glimpse in a lifetime. You're were very fortunate to see them.
But, aside from the TV renditions you've mentioned, does this "mother with cubs" scenario create the fear that has you carrying a gun?

xtatik

Explorer
Aside from firearms – what about “Bear Spray”? No human being could remain aggressive towards you once he/she got even a tiny shot of bear pepper spray! A good shot might very well kill 'em!:wings:

Oh my gosh! That stuff is P O W E R F U L:Wow1::drool::wings:

Spray works fine for campground bears that are more stubborn and more accustomed to "people presence". Just be carefull of the people downwind in the next campsite....they may not appreciate a faceful of it. For backcountry bears, usually a couple hollers or banging on stuff and throwing rocks will send them scurrying off.
Now, I should probably define "campground bears" they can also be found in the backcountry. Anyone who has done sections of any of the more commonly traversed trail systems will note the bears are pretty keen to where everyone pitches camp for the night. The bears will put these spots are their nightly patrols. Proper food handling and storage is the key.

shogun

Adventurer
With all the lions, tigers, bears, crackheads, zombies, yeti's that are mentioned on this site in conjunction with guns.....I'm left wondering if many here just aren't really mentally prepared/experienced enough for backcountry travel. It isn't for everyone, and many here come across sounding like they just don't feel comfortable out there. The best way to know if it's important or not, is to spend enough time in the sticks without one and you'll know.
If you are an experienced outdoors person, your answer to yourself and your partner should be simple.

It would appear that your point is that the question is only applicable to the inexperienced or SCARED people. That might appear rather arrogent to some.

[/QUOTE]Most of my friends and I have spent our lifetimes outdoors.....climbing, backpacking, flyfishing, hunting, etc. None of us even remotely feels it necessary to pack a gun during backcountry travel inthe contiguous states. Here are a few exceptions we make.....one, is while hunting (no-brainer). Second, is when on our Alaskan fishing trips, and we leave that business to the guides.[/QUOTE]

So while you readily admit that there is a need, you would rather leave that messy responsibilty to others. So much for self-reliance.

[/QUOTE]Truth is, individually we've had many encounters, primarily with Black Bears, and cats. Most of those encountered amounted to views of them desparately running in the opposite direction to avoid contact with us.
Most of the wildlife attacks in North America are resultant from human stupidity.[/QUOTE]

While I admit that bears are quite "desparate" in thier fear of humans, I'm not sure the issue would be solved by prohibiting "stupid" humans from access to wilderness areas (although the sky-island folks would agree with that position).

[/QUOTE]If you leave the gun at home and bring your brain with you, you'll be just fine. As for human interactions, I would venture a guess that there are far more crimes and opportunities to become a victim of a crime occurring daily within a mile of your home than will ever be realized in the boonies.[/QUOTE]

So you are making a case for carrying a gun "at home"; what is the downside to carrying a gun in the "boonies"? Am I to wager my life and my families lives on your "venture a guess"? Do you not see anything, silly, about that?

I dont make these comments for your edification, your mind is made up, but others might not see the, sillyness, of your statements.

As for the implied FEAR you think others may have of the "boonies", I would only ask;

What is it that you are so afraid of?

xtatik

Explorer
Shogun,
Quite frankly, the greatest fear I have while in the wilderness is coming in contact with Poison Oak....I hate that crap, it's the only real malady I've suffered. Yep, that's right, when the stuff goes dormant in the winter it's difficult to distinguish. And, when I'm more concerned with a stealthy approach to the next pool i've been known to run into it. Aside from that, I've taken a few long whippers on the sharp end of a rope while climbing. Some bad rockrash, but that's it! That was years ago, and in retrospect, I'd have to say I enjoyed every minute of it. So, there you have it...Poison Oak...my wilderness fear.

Now, getting to your manipulations of my post...Up there we leave the bear protection business to the guides. Their primary business is to get us to where the fish are, secondary to that is to make sure we're not distracted. It's pretty simple. What messy responsibility are you referring to?.....a kill? See, your thinking as though killing bears is a necessary and recurring event for these guys....it's not! They are smart enough and experienced enough to avoid that scenario in all but very rare cases. I haven't met a guide yet that has had to resort to that at this point. They've had to discharge in order to turn a bear (multiple times, in fact), but never kill one in defense of their clients. I'm sure its happened, but I haven't seen it or met a guide that has personally had to do so. If instead, your making reference that I fear guns or the killing of an animal....wrong again. I'm an avid hunter and spend my time from October to January mercilessly deflating birds. I have no fear of guns.

Your second manipulation: As Forrest's Momma said: "Stupid is, as stupid does". There are a lot of people who are mindful of how to travel in bear country. There are many who aren't. Things like wilderness food prep and storage, when to travel and when not to, what signs or indicators to keep an eye out for. Those who don't school themselves on such things, then venture into the wilderness to invite bear encounters into their lives...are what in your opinion? Is it your opinion be that they're conduct is appropriate and that they are simply lacking a gun?

Your third manipulation; First off, I've never felt a need to have a gun at any time other than while hunting. And, no I'm not making a case for having a gun at home. I'm certain my "guess" could be easily backed by statistics. But, it was offered for comparative thought/study. The point is simple, if you're not getting mugged often at home..that's great, and take note of it, because your chances of being mugged by a human or bear are far, far less in the wilderness.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier