Camping with a weapon

xtatik

Explorer
This is for those who fear it wont happen to them. I am certain these people may have thought the same thing.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_polar_bear_attack.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/14/national/main1498833.shtml

http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks.shtml

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2327485/posts

http://www.wolfsongnews.org/news/Alaska_current_events_1753.html

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rzwSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0e8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4567,233500

Regardless how many times a thread has been created, someone is asking for a reason. Lets not me insensitive towards others. I have thought of this topic a few times and wondered the same question. Yes of course if we leave the continent of the U.S. then most of us will not be taking our fire arms with us. I guess thats why I choose to camp right here in the U.S.A. and not anywhere else. Its much better to be prepared than to be the topic of a FAIL thread!

Well, of course, someone had to do it.
Very sensational stuff, and every situation hits the evening news as one would expect...but why?
Because it rarely happens. Kinda' like when someone gets hit by lightning, except the odds are even less with wildlife attacks.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Kinda' like when someone gets hit by lightning, except the odds are even less with wildlife attacks.

So do you stand out in the middle of a field during thunderstorms then or do you seek shelter?

Some call it paranoid, I call it prepared.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Do you think we should get a third thread going on this topic so we could do best 2 out of 3? :lurk::beer:

xtatik

Explorer
So do you stand out in the middle of a field during thunderstorms then or do you seek shelter?

You're kind of tilting the odds, wouldn't you say?
You know precisely what I meant, and it still holds true.
But, to answer your question, yes I have. In fact, more than once I've found myself standing in a slushy meadow with a 9' highly conductive graphite flyrod in my hands......not by choice! Anyone who's spent the time has seen how fast a summer lightning storm can form in the mountains. It's happened enough times that it doesn't worry me anymore. If it's crackin' at the canyon walls then I just dip the rod and myself down low to the grass and make haste for the truck. By that time it's usually raining frog-stranglers anyway.
Yep, it still holds true for both in the wilderness...you stand a better chance of being hit by lightning than being attacked by a bear. Look it up!

Last edited:

mitssan

Observer
As requested, politics aside. I'm new to Expo portal so this is my first time ready/replying to a gun thread. Even though I don't carry I went in to this open minded and decided to stay unarmed. Here is why:

I've never really considered caring one in the back country. I've been playing in the Canadian wilderness for ten years (I won't count my childhood) and I didn't even consider it. I have three back country hobby's; biking, hiking and wheeling. When hiking weight is always an important consideration, same with riding, so I can't see a firearm fitting in too well. Add to the weight the fact that in order to pack a weapon securely it wouldn't be very accessible for emergency situations. My bear spray is much more practical for those two situations and I can hang it on my belt where it is easy to get at. I don't know about the USA but firearms are banned in the Federal parks up here so spray is more versatile too.

I have wheeled with people who carry weapons, but they are usually packed very securely while wheeling, and only emerge around the camp fire. I don't feel much safer with the gun being there. If a cat is going to get me it's not going to make a fuss about it, it'll get me when I'm pooping behind a tree.

If I were to get a fire arm I think I'd go with a shotgun. It seems the most versatile weapon. You don't have to have great aim, there is a broad choice in ammunition and if I were to get stranded in the back country it would be the best choice for picking of small game... and it is one heck of a sound maker too.

Maurie

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Well, of course, someone had to do it.
Very sensational stuff, and every situation hits the evening news as one would expect...but why?
Because it rarely happens. Kinda' like when someone gets hit by lightning, except the odds are even less with wildlife attacks.

Just because "it rarely happens" is no excuse to be ill prepared.
It's simple, really. If you're afraid of firearms, incompetent in their use, or just don't want to have/carry/use one, then don't. Please have the kindness to allow the rest of us to do so.

Many of us do want to exercise our second amendment rights. I do every day, and I'll continue as long as I'm able.

So my answer is yes, I camp with weapons. My .44 Mag revolver and a cheap (reliable) pump 12 gauge.

And I'll be glad to protect those who "feel" no need to have firearms of their own.

Check out JPFo_Org and www.a-human-right.com/ when you get a chance. Not about camping, but instructive nonetheless.

Last edited:

KG6BWS

Explorer
With all the lions, tigers, bears, crackheads, zombies, yeti's that are mentioned on this site in conjunction with guns.....I'm left wondering if many here just aren't really mentally prepared/experienced enough for backcountry travel. It isn't for everyone, and many here come across sounding like they just don't feel comfortable out there. The best way to know if it's important or not, is to spend enough time in the sticks without one and you'll know.
If you are an experienced outdoors person, your answer to yourself and your partner should be simple. From your question, I'm assuming you've never needed it in the past.............? So, what's been your experience.
Most of my friends and I have spent our lifetimes outdoors.....climbing, backpacking, flyfishing, hunting, etc. None of us even remotely feels it necessary to pack a gun during backcountry travel inthe contiguous states. Here are a few exceptions we make.....one, is while hunting (no-brainer). Second, is when on our Alaskan fishing trips, and we leave that business to the guides. Truth is, individually we've had many encounters, primarily with Black Bears, and cats. Most of those encountered amounted to views of them desperately running in the opposite direction to avoid contact with us.
Most of the wildlife attacks in North America are resultant from human stupidity. If you leave the gun at home and bring your brain with you, you'll be just fine. As for human interactions, I would venture a guess that there are far more crimes and opportunities to become a victim of a crime occurring daily within a mile of your home than will ever be realized in the boonies.

Im curious why you feel that those of us who carry are not "mentally prepared or experienced" enough?? No offense, just an honest question.

Ive pretty much grown up in the outdoors. Hunting, fishing, backpacking, offroading, exploring. Maybe some people carry out of fear. I choose to carry for emergencies. Less for defence, more for the possibility of getting stranded and needing to eat. But I do value a sidearm for that one chance encounter with an animal who is to sick and hungry, or just plain has no fear, that decides I look like a good meal.

I respect your choice to not carry, and I very much agree with you that your brain is your best defense, but Im still curious why you need to put down those who do carry.

KG6BWS

Explorer

Some call it paranoid, you call it prepared, I just call it plain intelligence. :sombrero:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
A few years ago, my brother was pheasant hunting in Easter Washington outside Yakima...not prime black bear country, but not unheard of...lots of brushy area maybe chest high and thick.

After awhile, he heard the dog sprinting back to him w/o getting called...she came right up to him and right behind her was a small black bear, not a cub, but not very big. He put 3 rounds into the bear and basically point blank range, in the face. Granted, it was pheasant shot, but the bear shook it's head and ran off. This was a 12ga w/3-1/2 shells (so not a small gun).

I was surprised by a couple things:

The bear was chasing the dog. I hear this both ways - dogs scare off bears, dogs attract bears. I've had my dogs spook off what I thought were bears, so I think it's dependent on a ton of factors, including whether the bear was hungry :)

3 rounds, right to the face, even w/o buckshot I'd expect to drop a smaller black bear. There was some blood, but no sign of the bear (my brother tracked it trying to find it). Gives me pause that even w/buckshot it wouldn't be effective at close range for a po'd bear. Just a word of advice, if you are using a shotgun for protection, use slugs (I use 1 buckshot first for a warning shot). Harder to hit, but (I hope) more likely to kill the bear.

I think this is a great discussion, and one I think deserves many threads on - as long as it stays civil and people give their perspective on why they choose what they choose. Gives people different perspectives and hence maybe opens some eyes on both sides of the discussion.

xtatik

Explorer
Just because "it rarely happens" is no excuse to be ill prepared.
I'm extremely well prepared. In fact, when entering bear habitat, I'd say I'm ten times more prepared than most individuals that would merely strap on iron and go for a walk in the woods. In most cases, guns and fear of bears end up being more detrimental to the individual.

It's simple, really. If you're afraid of firearms, incompetent in their use, or just don't want to have/carry/use one, then don't. Please have the kindness to allow the rest of us to do so.
I agree, and you're certainly not addressing me on this point. As for kindness, how bout we have the kindness to accurately answer the OP's question without infusing it with pro-gun propaganda. Keep in mind, I own guns, I hunt with guns. I just don't believe they are "necessary" or even "appropriate" in all situations. They are definitely not a necessity while wilderness camping.

Many of us do want to exercise our second amendment rights. I do every day, and I'll continue as long as I'm able.
Good for you, but, so do I and it might be worth noting that I've never challenged this right and wouldn't.

So my answer is yes, I camp with weapons. My .44 Mag revolver and a cheap (reliable) pump 12 gauge.
And I'll be glad to protect those who "feel" no need to have firearms of their own.
Ummm, ok! Thanks, I think.

xtatik

Explorer
Im curious why you feel that those of us who carry are not "mentally prepared or experienced" enough?? No offense, just an honest question.

Ive pretty much grown up in the outdoors. Hunting, fishing, backpacking, offroading, exploring. Maybe some people carry out of fear. I choose to carry for emergencies. Less for defence, more for the possibility of getting stranded and needing to eat. But I do value a sidearm for that one chance encounter with an animal who is to sick and hungry, or just plain has no fear, that decides I look like a good meal.

I respect your choice to not carry, and I very much agree with you that your brain is your best defense, but Im still curious why you need to put down those who do carry.
Multiple questions here, but here goes:
Just as with travel in our biggest cities where dangers are much greater statistically, the overwhelming majority of people will go a lifetime without incident. No one that lives in the city gives it much thought. If they see a congregation of kids on a street corner late at night, they'll walk an additional block to avoid them. The more experienced outdoorsperson is much the same. They've churned the odds years back, were wary to their surroundings and behaviors to the point it becomes their second nature and don't really give it any more consideration....they know the risks and the odds and they know what to avoid. With this experience and knowledge they are in complete comfort.

Personally, for the survival purposes, I'd rather have a knife. Most experts agree it's a much more useful tool in that scenario.

As for putting people down...you need to keep in mind the OP was not in the "those who carry" camp. I was addressing his question, and he was inquiring as to whether or not people felt it was necessary or not. Again, for wilderness travel here in the contiguous states, most experts agree it is not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier