Overland Rally: Expeditions West Announces Regional Overland Rallies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Brady

Founder
Rally_Logo.gif

Overland Rally: Expeditions West Announces Regional Overland Rallies and Workshops

Along with the growth of Expedition Portal and Overland Journal, the community of vehicle-supported adventure travelers in North America has expanded considerably. As the regional chapters of Expedition Portal have become more active and other forums have added expedition sections, there has been a growing need for more local rallies and training workshops.

The goal of these events is to connect the community of travelers, hear each other's stories, plan adventures, help fellow adventurers with logistics and vehicle preparation and learn from experts from around the world. This is a continuation of the popular (and always full) Expedition Trophy and Overland Symposium that was started by Expeditions West and Expedition Portal members in 2005. The Expeditions West team (along with partner organizations and individuals) and the Expedition Portal community are now large enough to support the Overland Rally and Workshops in the US and internationally. These events are about all levels of vehicle-based adventure travel, from a trip to Utah, to an around-the-world, and everything in between with a strong sense of community and all levels of experience.

Regional Overland Rally and Workshop Schedule 2010:
California, USA (Hollister)- September 24-26, 2010 (In cooperation with Seth from Syncro de Mayo)

There are two ways to pre-register: Remember the days of the Expedition Trophy. There are only 190 available slots, which is only 95 couples. These will sell out quickly.

Family Pack: Two adults and dependent children and all four nights of camping. Access to all available event functions. $200 ($250 if paid separately)

Individual Registration: For individual attendees, or those staying only a few days/nights. Ala Carte option. Camping must still be booked in advanced and paid for by the night. $85 per person. Be sure to use the coupon code above, which discounts the pre-registration by $15 per person.

There are no day passes available, as this will be a closed to the public event requiring pre-registration.

Planned Regional Overland Rally and Workshop Schedule 2011:
England, UK- Late May 2011 (In support/cooperation with Sam Watson of the RGS)
Washington, USA- Late July 2011 (regional partner to be announced soon)
California, USA (Hollister)- Early September 2011
Vermont, USA- October 7-10, 2011 (In cooperation with Vermont Overland)

Finalized dates and venues for 2011 will be announced as we coordinate further with our cooperative partners and Expedition Portal community members. The event attendance will be limited to ensure the quality of experience and instruction. Details for registering and registration costs will be announced in the next few weeks.

Additional Events: We would like to see an event in the Southeast (possibly Georgia) and another in Utah or Colorado. These additional venues will develop as we coordinate with more members on the forum.

UK Event Note: The UK event was started and is operated by Sam Watson of the RGS. Our goal is to help him with attendance from the US and to support his event as he chooses. We are excited to help Sam.

Event Features:

Overland Rally:
On-site camping
Local 4WD and motorcycle adventures
Fireside chats, which include trip presentations by fellow adventurers
Vendor exposition to support local companies and respected manufacturers
Feature vehicles
Movie night
Expedition Trophy competition (YES, it is back!)

Overland Workshop: Presented by Overland Training
Overland chef demonstration and training
Trip planning course
Photography and videography presentation and training
Adventure motorcycle riding course
Overland driving course
Field recovery course
International driving session
Navigation (backcountry and international)
Family adventure planning
Communications and electronics
Other workshops as requested by the local members.

For details on becoming a title sponsor, regional sponsor or vendor, please contact:
Brian McVickers
Office: 928-777-8567
Email: brian (at) expeditionswest (dot) com

Some fun pictures from past rallies and Expedition Trophys
P1020893.jpg

P1020935.jpg

expo2008007.jpg

Adventure Trailers tire clinic:
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

haven

Expedition Leader
Sounds great!

My only concern is how the regional events may affect participation in the Overland Expo. From Scott's description, it sounds like an Overland Rally agenda will be similar to OvEx.

On the other hand, I know that many people can't take off enough time to drive across country to the OvEx site in Arizona. So maybe it's good that the Overland Rally will come to them, instead.

Scott Brady

Founder
Sounds great!

My only concern is how the regional events may affect participation in the Overland Expo. From Scott's description, it sounds like an Overland Rally agenda will be similar to OvEx.

On the other hand, I know that many people can't take off enough time to drive across country to the OvEx site in Arizona. So maybe it's good that the Overland Rally will come to them, instead.

The goal is to have local events throughout the country. The agenda is just like our earlier Expedition Trophies and associated training/vendor sections. Think of these events as small, regional gatherings. More of a rally than expo. . .:ylsmoke:

Overland Expo is a wonderful, international event. There are many great reasons to attend both!

overlander

Expedition Leader
Come to Georgia and I'm there! (And I'm bringing a possy of enthusiasts with me)

There is a STRONG Rover community in the NC-SC-GA-VA-TN area.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Sounds great!

We'd love the opportunity to learn more :coffee:

It is tough for us to get out to AZ for Overland Expo.

Looking forward to it! I guess the NWOS would be the local sponsor here in Washington? The training will be great for specific enviroment, rain trees rock mud more rain.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Very cool, looking to try and make it for Hollister this year on the moto. One last adventure before I give my free weekends back to work in October! :wings:

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Great idea, Scott. Spread the love around. The trophies were an absolute hoot! I am sure that this will be a success anywhere you choose to take it. I look forward to hearing more.

Cheers,

overlander

Expedition Leader
Great idea, Scott. Spread the love around. The trophies were an absolute hoot! I am sure that this will be a success anywhere you choose to take it. I look forward to hearing more.

Cheers,

Paul,
If you come bring goodies and save us all some shipping. I have a shopping list for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke