100 series 4 vs 5 speed auto

kmaser

Observer
I am looking for a 100 series land cruiser and was wondering if it is worth holding out for the 2003 to get the 5 speed auto. looking for some opinions.

Kurtis

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Yes from a better RPM management perspective. From my friends who've gone from the A343F (4-speed auto) to the A750F (5-speed auto) 100-Series there is a considerable difference in perceived +hp and overall efficiency and shifting smoothness. I know I don't like the big ratio jumps in my '99 especially between 1st and 2nd and then again between 2nd and 3rd which is exasperated by all the heavy metal and gear I've added...

CSG

Explorer
I would like to have gotten a 2003+ but my 2002 is what I found that was worth buying at the time I was shopping. Honestly, the 4 speed has had no noticeable impact on my enjoyment of the vehicle and the 5 speed doesn't seem to improve MPG all that much. It might be smoother and perceived as smoother but I think it's more important to find the right rig for you when you're ready to get one.

Anthony.L

I drove both the 4 speed and 5 speed and the difference was easily noticeable. Any one that tells you different owns a 4 speed and is in denial.

The other nice thing about the 5 speed is the impact when putting larger tires on is less of a decrease in performance then with the 4 speed.

mph

Expedition Leader
Get the newest one you can afford:) Not sure of your mod list but the goodies add up too. Good luck with your purchase. They are tough to come by out here in Utah.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I just wish we could adapt the 5spd to an 80. Like Spresso, the gear splits in the 4 speed leave a lot to be desired. I think that like the 100, the 5spd would make a big difference in an 80.

Jack

mph

Expedition Leader
Finding them in Idaho or anywhere is a pain:) I spent 5 months looking and was lucky to find the white/tan combination right here in Utah. I am been super happy with my purchase...it is a great ride. I just got back from a 10 day trip to SE Utah. The ride and experience in the LC was great. Could drive that thing all day! Good luck with your search.

CSG

Explorer
mph, mine is a one-owner that came from Lexus of Lindon. They brought it here for me to inspect last December with no obligation to buy. It was almost as good a rig as they described it to be (but not quite) and had complete Lexus service records for its 67k life. I have yet to take it on an overnight yet.

And to stay on track with the topic, the 5 speed may indeed be better. My point was simply that I was/am not distracted by the 4 speed mine has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles