100 series 4 vs 5 speed auto

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I had a four speed Hundy, and I would have liked a five-speed, and a few more horsepower, and more air bags, and a better stereo, and a backup camera, and etc. . . .

But geez, according to a couple of quick edmunds.com appraisals, you could be looking at a $10-$12 cost difference for what is real close to the same truck. I may be in denial, but I'd take the old truck and spend the leftover $10K at Slee or similar.

Wareagle

Observer
5 spd is so much nicer than the 4spd. Early post mentioned the 1st to 2nd jump on the 4sp being quite large. I totally agree. The main issue that I have in towing a 3500# boat is the wide ratio between these gears. I've seen newer 100 series with larger boats dust me on some of the low speed mountain inclines around here.

Skrewball

Observer
when they went with the 5 speed the engine got a bit more power as well.

the 5 speed requires fancy fluid and has no dip stick.

i would go for the 03-04 and up for the nicer interior and drivetrain.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've never owned the 4-speed (or a 100) but I can attest to the excellence of the 4.7L/5-speed combination; simply excellent!!!

I'm a manual trans fan but the 5-speed auto has my respect, and I love the Low 3.52:1 first gear ratio. Like the tranny even more with my 4.88s and 33-inch tires. It will pull anything close to reasonable in size/weight :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles