Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifting: what is your current program?

Default Lifting: what is your current program?

Jeremy and I hit the gym (weights) 2-3 times per week. We started over four months ago and have never missed a week. I feel better than I have in a decade.

Our current program is a core / strengthening 5x5, broken into two routines, with at least one full day of rest between.

Day 1:
    Bench 5x5 (225lbs)
    Squats 5x5 (225lbs)
    Inverted Rows (pulling up on the smith machine bar)
    Push-ups 3xFailure
    Reverse Crunch 3x12

Day 2:
    Squats 5x5 (225)
    overhead press (40x2)
    Bulgarian deadlift (3x12)
    Pull-ups/Chin-ups (3xFailure)
    Prone Bridges 3x30sec
    This is a slight adaptation of Stronglift.com

What are the rest of you up to?
    Last edited by Scott Brady; 06-18-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen |

As the years go on, mountain biking hasn't been enough to keep me fit. I built the van to help get the mountain bikes and kayaks out, but ended up going on long weekend trips all the time...and that doesn't help the fitness level. With a heart rate monitor hooked up, I know that I've burned 3500 calories during a 7 hour Enduro ride, but that just wears you out and makes you hungry for a burger and beer, not build up your muscles and cardi.

Last year I got on the Bill Phillips 12 week program which combines weight lifting, cardio, and eating right, all in six days on, one day off (including eating anything you want that day).

I lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks. Was feeling great, riding and paddling strong, then ripped my shoulder while warming up on the bench press (like nothing I've ever heard before). Haven't been able to get back on it since.

Scott, I will only go to the Gym first thing in the morning before work. I just can't be in a gym during the afternoon or evening when ther is so much else to do. When do you guys go?
    Life is short, Paddle often
    '03 Chevy Astro w/ NP233C 4x4 electronic shift transfer case, 5" Overlandvans lift kit, 4:10's w/ Detroit Locker, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks w/ in-dash remote & onboard air compressor, 245/75 16 Cooper Discoverer STMaxx, GTRV pop top w/ sleeper, Carefree Awning, Coleman Fridge, and tons of Thule

2010 Gas Gas EC 450 plated, 2005 Gas Gas FSE 450, plated

Bridges are great do you do sidelying as well or just prone? I do side middle side up to a minute now each....sides are broken into 10 sec intervals switching between 10 hip lifts, 10 sec hold, 10 hip lifts etc up to a minute. Try it! It will take your core work to a new level I think.

I also cannot emphasize enough about stretching!! Make it a part of your workout routine.
    Last edited by weezerbot; 06-18-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    Heidi - KF7CKI
    1985 Vanagon GL Diesel Convert

When I am at home, I work a 4-day cycle in the gym with my cardio usually being a trail run or hi-tempo hike during the warm months.

Chest/Biceps
    Back/Triceps
    Legs/Shoulders
    Off

My work has me on the road quite a bit so I take my TRX Force to keep the workouts going.
    2004 Land Cruiser -- OME/Slee Suspension | F/R ARB Lockers | Slee Armor (Front, Rear, Sides and Belly) | Dual Battery | Nitto TG 285/75-16 | ARB Drawers
    2013 Trail Edition 4Runner -- Stock
    2012 BMW R1200GS

When you become bored with the current program, then do the Body for Life program big boy.

It'll lower your BMI and the make you leaner in just 12 weeks. Sounds like you're pushing big weights now...this will bump you up to four sets to failure, than two more sets of 12 back to back. Done right it makes almost sick at the end of each body part. You will never be leaner. It's hard to eat all day...but thats the way it works! 3 days weights, 3 days cardio, 1 day to eat anything you want!

It's also nice to interject 200 -250 grams of protein in your system everyday...it'll put raw, ripped muscle on faster than you can imagine.
    The diet aspect of it (high protein,medium carb, low fat) is easy to follow, and helps to teach you to eat right (not that I follow that...lol)

Best of luck, keep up the good work!

Pat
    The R.O.A.M. Camper Build...Recreation Optimized Allterrian Module
    In Development....R.O.A.M II
    Toyota 2010 4Runner Silver Trail Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
    My work has me on the road quite a bit so I take my TRX Force to keep the workouts going.
    That is interesting. Tell us more about the TRX Force. opinions, etc.

With me leaving for two months across EU and Asia, a field training option has appeal
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal

Quote Originally Posted by weezerbot View Post
    Bridges are great do you do sidelying as well or just prone?
    Those are evil, and surprisingly effective. Have not tried the sidelying yet. sounds extra evil
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Titanpat57 View Post
    When you become bored with the current program, then do the Body for Life program big boy.

Pat
    I have loked at that before and liked it. We try to change things up (sups too) every 6 weeks.

We started with a modified negatives program, then a traditional heavy lift/ targeted routine, followed by an evil 10x10 program to build some muscle endurance.

We are now engaging the legs heavily and pushing bigger weights though more complex movements- feels good

Oh, and leaving for a mtn. Bike ride now
    Scott Brady
    Overland Journal

P90X.

Not for the feint of heart....
    Get out and make nowhere your special somewhere!

http://www.crossfit.com/

Also train in the dojo 2-3 times a week for MMA, and mountain bike on the weekend.

Also switched to the http://www.thepaleodiet.com/ about 3 months ago. I feel better than ever.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast