Lifting: what is your current program?

Scott Brady

Founder
Jeremy and I hit the gym (weights) 2-3 times per week. We started over four months ago and have never missed a week. I feel better than I have in a decade.

Our current program is a core / strengthening 5x5, broken into two routines, with at least one full day of rest between.

Day 1:
Bench 5x5 (225lbs)
Squats 5x5 (225lbs)
Inverted Rows (pulling up on the smith machine bar)
Push-ups 3xFailure
Reverse Crunch 3x12

Day 2:
Squats 5x5 (225)
overhead press (40x2)
Bulgarian deadlift (3x12)
Pull-ups/Chin-ups (3xFailure)
Prone Bridges 3x30sec
This is a slight adaptation of Stronglift.com

What are the rest of you up to?

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
As the years go on, mountain biking hasn't been enough to keep me fit. I built the van to help get the mountain bikes and kayaks out, but ended up going on long weekend trips all the time...and that doesn't help the fitness level. With a heart rate monitor hooked up, I know that I've burned 3500 calories during a 7 hour Enduro ride, but that just wears you out and makes you hungry for a burger and beer, not build up your muscles and cardi.

Last year I got on the Bill Phillips 12 week program which combines weight lifting, cardio, and eating right, all in six days on, one day off (including eating anything you want that day).

I lost 15 pounds in 5 weeks. Was feeling great, riding and paddling strong, then ripped my shoulder while warming up on the bench press (like nothing I've ever heard before). Haven't been able to get back on it since.

Scott, I will only go to the Gym first thing in the morning before work. I just can't be in a gym during the afternoon or evening when ther is so much else to do. When do you guys go?

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Bridges are great do you do sidelying as well or just prone? I do side middle side up to a minute now each....sides are broken into 10 sec intervals switching between 10 hip lifts, 10 sec hold, 10 hip lifts etc up to a minute. Try it! It will take your core work to a new level I think.

I also cannot emphasize enough about stretching!! Make it a part of your workout routine.

Last edited:

Bighead

Adventurer
When I am at home, I work a 4-day cycle in the gym with my cardio usually being a trail run or hi-tempo hike during the warm months.

Chest/Biceps
Back/Triceps
Legs/Shoulders
Off

My work has me on the road quite a bit so I take my TRX Force to keep the workouts going.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
When you become bored with the current program, then do the Body for Life program big boy.

It'll lower your BMI and the make you leaner in just 12 weeks. Sounds like you're pushing big weights now...this will bump you up to four sets to failure, than two more sets of 12 back to back. Done right it makes almost sick at the end of each body part. You will never be leaner. It's hard to eat all day...but thats the way it works! 3 days weights, 3 days cardio, 1 day to eat anything you want!

It's also nice to interject 200 -250 grams of protein in your system everyday...it'll put raw, ripped muscle on faster than you can imagine.
The diet aspect of it (high protein,medium carb, low fat) is easy to follow, and helps to teach you to eat right (not that I follow that...lol)

Best of luck, keep up the good work!

Pat

Scott Brady

Founder
When you become bored with the current program, then do the Body for Life program big boy.

Pat

I have loked at that before and liked it. We try to change things up (sups too) every 6 weeks.

We started with a modified negatives program, then a traditional heavy lift/ targeted routine, followed by an evil 10x10 program to build some muscle endurance.

We are now engaging the legs heavily and pushing bigger weights though more complex movements- feels good

Oh, and leaving for a mtn. Bike ride now :)

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
+1.
I've been doing Crossfit since the '90s (long before it was known as "Crossfit"). IMO- It's also the best program for people who travel since you can do it with or without equipment.

Also switched to the http://www.thepaleodiet.com/ about 3 months ago. I feel better than ever.
+1.
I've been eating "mostly" Paleo for 10+ years. The health and performance benefits are real.

Crossfit and Paleo are a great combination.

YJake

Adventurer
I have always had a decent workout routine even though I'll never excercise as much as I had back in my highschool years. Then I was a cross country runner and Lacrosse player, talk about lots of cardio!:Wow1:

Now I do a gym routine 3-4 times every week and that's been enough to keep me very fit. I run a mile and do stairs every day and plan to hold the routine for a long while

It's amazing how your quality of life improves when you try to stay fit! :)

-Jake

I've started hitting the gym a few times a week recently, too. It's an excellent way to let out aggression and stress, with a positive effect on the body. Since my accident a couple years ago, my back pain has left me pretty stagnant and kind of crippled. To remedy the pain, I started working just the back muscles a few months ago, ever-so-lightly. Once I felt I got a little more structure, I started jogging a bit.

Now I am doing this current routine, in this order, when at the gym:

DAY 1:
Run 1 mile
25 push-ups
Dead-lift (60 lb) 2x12
Trunk extensions on exercise ball 3x12
25 push ups
Run 1/2 mile

DAY 2:
Run 1/2 mile
Squats (175 lb) 3x8
Stairs 10 minutes
Stretch hamstrings for 5-10 minutes. (They're really tight)
Run 1/2 mile

I do feel better already, and I've coupled this routine with eating better and drinking less soda and beer and A LOT MORE WATER. I've never had a weight problem, but I'm 6'1 and 145 lb. so I am trying to put on some healthy weight, and hopefully cure some aches and pains. Not to mention, I believe it's helped my slight insomnia as well. It's much easier to get to sleep when you're actually tired at bedtime.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I've started hitting the gym a few times a week recently, too. It's an excellent way to let out aggression and stress, with a positive effect on the body. Since my accident a couple years ago, my back pain has left me pretty stagnant and kind of crippled. To remedy the pain, I started working just the back muscles a few months ago, ever-so-lightly. Once I felt I got a little more structure, I started jogging a bit.

Now I am doing this current routine, in this order, when at the gym:

DAY 1:
Run 1 mile
25 push-ups
Dead-lift (60 lb) 2x12
Trunk extensions on exercise ball 3x12
25 push ups
Run 1/2 mile

DAY 2:
Run 1/2 mile
Squats (175 lb) 3x8
Stairs 10 minutes
Stretch hamstrings for 5-10 minutes. (They're really tight)
Run 1/2 mile

I do feel better already, and I've coupled this routine with eating better and drinking less soda and beer and A LOT MORE WATER. I've never had a weight problem, but I'm 6'1 and 145 lb. so I am trying to put on some healthy weight, and hopefully cure some aches and pains. Not to mention, I believe it's helped my slight insomnia as well. It's much easier to get to sleep when you're actually tired at bedtime.

Um, hello your local massage therapist here!! Get with me I work on a sliding scale my friend!

RttH

Here is a fun one when traveling/or in addition to home/gym....www.fitdeck.com. It seems so basic but works well. I have my weights and run/bike routine, but for fun I add the Bodyweight and Navy SEAL routines from Fitdeck and must say it kicks my behind! My wife enjoys
P90x, and I find it a good workout too.

Variety is the key!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles