250lb capacity recreational kayak?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
What is a good fat guy kayak? I want something that will not drag bottom more than other boats with normal sized paddlers. I want somethng that is good for shallow rivers. Only class 1-2. I'm hoping for a ten foot boat with a large easy to enter cockpit.

I sat in a Oldtown Vapor 10. It seemed to fit, but I don't know how low they ride? I also looked at a Drigo(sp?)120.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I bought a Advanced Frame Tandem Kayak and I love it. It works great with the wife, or with two boys and me (one is small), but the other thing is that it works wonderful for me and my photography gear. Gives me a work/storage area. I also like the fact that it stores in a small area.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
If you're going to be paddling a lot of whitewater, I would look specifically at whitewater boats, but that said, if it's just short stretches that punctuate longer flatwater sections you've got a couple of options. If you're not wedded to the idea of a sit-inside kayak, like the ones you tried, take a look at sit-on-tops. They're generally very very stable and can hold a surprising amount of weight. If you flip, they are very hard to sink, and are really great when you're getting in and out a lot...the one downside is that you're exposed to whatever elements you're paddling in...rain, sun, wind, heat, cold, etc.
Another question to ask yourself is how long you expect to be in the boat at a time. Are you going for distance, just to hang out, fishing, a whole day, or just an evening paddle...
If you can, I would highly recommend going and trying a couple of different types of boats...most shops will let you demo a couple boats, and if there is a demo fee, it's usually credited to a boat if you end up buying it.
Hope that helps.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
So I bought a kahki colored Old Town Vapor XT 10 Angler boat and a 230cm paddle today. The weight capacity is rated at 325lbs. I took it down to the river to a 300 yard pool and paddled in circles for 45 minutes:) So far i really like it, it is very stabile on the slow water. I have a 7 mile float planned next week, so i'll report back

Attachments

• Photo_07.jpg
    Photo_07.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Nice.

What river are you doing the float on?

The Bald Eagle Creek from Sayers dam to Mill Hall. I joined the Canoe Club of Centre County, www.ccofcc.org, so I asked about a good beginner trip and 4-5 people stepped right up and put together a trip:costumed-smiley-007

I'd also like to do a west branch of the susquehanna this summer. Is there anyplace with high enough water up your way?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Well the Allegheny River from Warren to Tionesta can be done anytime. Deep water gentle flow with camping on one of the islands as an option. Though if you pull out at Tidioute you could do it in a day. With all the rain last month the creeks aren't to bad, you could possibly do Oil Creek from Titusville to Petroleum Center with minimial dragging. Tionesta Creek might be doalbe too, but I'd have to check it out. I haven't been up the way for a couple of weeks because the darn Rainbow People have invaded ANF and it's best I stay away from those hippies. If you'd like some company a float down the Susq would be sweet...hint, hint...

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
The Old Town Otter is a pretty good boat for heavier loads. And you can usually find them pretty easily and give them a test drive before you buy one.

Van_Homan

Adventurer
That Vapor is a great starting boat. I've paddling one on several occassions and I like the oversize cockpit and stability they offer. The dual cup holders are also a nice touch.

I think you'll enjoy it.

KayakingApril3201054.jpg

gasman

Adventurer
i have an old town solitude .. im not a big guy though 175 # i have had it for about 6 yrs .. its a great little boat.. they tell me its good for class 111 i think they cass it as a sports boat .. not a cruiser. not white water i cant roll it.. the cockpit is too big but it dosnt stop me from trying , you will like the old town .. crappy pic but here it is anyway..
IMG_0564.jpg

ramiromunoz

I got the Pelican Maverik kayaks from Dicks sporting goods, 249 a piece on sale for the holiday and they hold up to 300 lbs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles