shansen M101 build

shansen

Observer
Well, maybe it's less of a "build" and more of a finish, but I am just entertaining myself with that title. I got this M101 a few months back, it came to me in excellent condition, the entire tub/fenders coated in Line-X and the rest of it done with POR-15. The trailer has 6x5.5 lug wheels on it now, and they surprisingly looked similar to the Mojave Teflon wheels on my FJ40.
So with a very solid start on a trailer, I moved on to making it something more useable for camping. First thing was to get a lid. I like the look of the Adventure Trailers lid, so we used similar "lines" to what they have there. I wanted the entire thing to be built out of aluminum as well. On top of the lid, I will add 3 load bars to support the Eezi-Awn 1800 series roof top tent I have.
Once the lid and tent is on, that will finish my "finish" of the build (at least that is what I tell myself); need to get the thing out of the shop and on to some dirt. Will post up more pictures as it gets finished, below are a few of the structural supports that will be underneath the skin.

shansen

Observer
Pictures!

Attachments

• M101 Front.jpg
    M101 Front.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 753
  • iPhone 003.jpg
    iPhone 003.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 881
  • iPhone 008.jpg
    iPhone 008.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 789

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing you didn't cut that out with a jigsaw by any chance?...:ylsmoke:

Nice design, looks like someone has some nice toys to play with!:drool:

Pat

shansen

Observer
Jigsaw, no. :) these were all laser cut. So far, the lid weighs about 30lbs maybe? Hoping with the skin, load bars, handles, etc, that the entire thing will still be very light, yet strong. I can easily move this around by myself right now.

We are actually contemplating selling a kit that we could ship that would include all of the internal framework, hinge, etc. It would pack nicely and be flat, which would help on ease of shipping (the thing that has killed the ability to sell these before to anyone not local). This still would require the end user to "bring your own skin", which could rivet to the top. We will see how it all works out when the skin goes on next week and it gets finished.

shansen

Observer
Located just outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. Should have some pricing within a week or so, and I will post a picture of the completed project. It would include everything but the skim in the kit, and we would be able to ship it through regular UPS/FedEx because all the components can lay flat and slide into a box. The end customer could even coat the framework in canvas if they wanted; although I am more of a fan of the metal skin.

Trailpsycho

Observer
Looks awesome, but also overkill. You might consider dropping two of the ribs and respacing. Saves you a little weight and shouldnt affect the strength. Is that steel or aluminum tubing? Guessing aluminum if it only weighs 30 lbs right now. Is this structure to be riveted or welded. Looks pretty awesome...but with all the ribbing you will give up some storage space in the head-space of the lid. Keep us appraised.

Will you make a kit for the M416 as well? That would be cool.

shansen

Observer
The structure is welded together, the only thing that will be riveted would be the skin. I am going to do a smooth aluminum skin to start off, but have also debated doing a diamond plate skin (which would be heavier and cost more, so we will see).

We could do this for an M416 as well; I believe it is around the same measurements so we would just need some specs before doing all the cutting, etc. I would recommend tac welding the base frame while it is sitting on the trailer - we have found there are some variences in the trailer themselves (one corner higher, one lower, etc) that can be compensated for if fit this way.

For the amount of "ribs" underneath, yes, it may be overkill, but I intend to use the space. Each one is perfect for sticking one of those camp chairs that are in a stuff sack. They fit up in there and can be held in with some small bungi cords.

More pics and info to come this Saturday!!! :)

Last edited:

shansen

Observer
Will be camping this weekend as long as we get them completed; would like to make CruiserFest but don't know for sure yet.

I do need to pick up those tail lights and a couple D-ring shackles from you within the next week, so you will likely see the 40 with its new bumper.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Will be camping this weekend as long as we get them completed; would like to make CruiserFest but don't know for sure yet.

I do need to pick up those tail lights and a couple D-ring shackles from you within the next week, so you will likely see the 40 with its new bumper.

Nice, I'm around all this week except Friday as I'll be heading out to MMP for Cruiserfest.

Marshall does some nice work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles