Best balancing tire?

zjsheller

Observer
I've been in the wheel and tire business professionally for over 11 years and lots of experience with tires up to 40" or so. Hands down the BFG Allterrain is the smoothest riding tire of all the brands. They are the best all around do everything tire I have ever used.

I too have spent many of the last 20 years in the tire business and have to agree that in the past the BFG AT has been a great choice. I can't say this to be true as of late. OOR problems, excessive weight problems, and problems with the heavy spot moving at an unusually fast rate. (a clear sign of inconsistancy in the molding process). This has not been a problem that I've seen with the BFG MT's.

I have had experience with the new GY MTR's w/ kevlar since they were introduced almost 2 years ago and they have been, hands down, the smoothest running highway tire I've had on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I run a 285/75-19 10 ply which is overkill for that light of a truck. I run them at 40psi for fuel economy purposes and no vibration problems at all. In fact, of the last 280k miles on my Jeep, they have been the smoothest. And to boot they are fantastic off-road tires.

Good luck with your search.

Zatara

Adventurer
Last month I replaced the tires on my Chevy 2500HD.
It had michelins on it when I bought it and they were great tires except they were not so good off road. After much research I decided on Hankook Dynapro RF10s. Problem was, when I blew a tire recently they were back ordered in my size.
I stepped up and payed extra for Goodyear silent armor pro grades. In the space of one month since purchase they have replaced three tires due to balance issues and for floating/wandering.
All had been road force balanced and they were just crap tires.
These were Goodyears best.
I went back and talked with my friend, the manager at Discount where I bought them and he got me the Hankooks which had just come back into inventory.
Same day they were installed I hit the highway and what a huge difference.
I will never buy another goodyear.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Well, I was up running to the airport this morning and on the way back I thought I would swing by the tire shop. Looks like someone had there Wheaties this morning, Or something.

Ended up that there was a slight dent on the inside of one of my wheels. I would have never noticed such a slight dent until the tech finally noticed it. They swapped out that rim with my spare and remounted what they caled the out of round tire and presto! Smooth ridin'

The good ol Yoko's that I was loving are back to true! I'm still in the market for another set.

I always like to poke around the "trash tires" at the tire shops. I found some Toyo MT's that where nearly bald with perfect even tire where. I don't know there history but that is a good sign. They were a 35/12.50.17 so I'm thinking they were on a full size. The BFG AT's sitting next to them were not so impressive on the even wear and much more life left.

That tire shop wants $335 perToyo MT 285/75/16 :Wow1:

shredwagon

Observer
Have you checked out the Goodyear Duratracs? My HDJ81 had Yoko AT's on when I imported her. Didn't think the snow performance was too hot. Useless in deep snow/mild mud and 2 punctures. Test drove my buddies 80 with the new BFG AT's with the softer compound to see if I should go that route - meh in winter. Also Ccnsidered going the dedicated studded winter set route.

After alot of research, decided to get the Duratracs. They have been perfect for my year round needs. Have 20k - quiet & trouble free - kilometers on mine over every terrain, except DEEP mud and rock crawling, with no regrets. I'm surprised more overlanders are not running these tires.

Edit: I'm running 285/75/16's, rated E load

Last edited:

thecriscokid

Explorer
I have looked at the DuraTrac's, My Yokohama's are my dedicated snow tires. They are the Geolander itGO72. After talking with Yoko, they are the AT carcass.
I have given them a pretty good flogging in the desert and in the hills (still concerned about puntures though) . I do need a set of summer tires though.
I was really into the DuraTracs until I read a bunch of negative reviews regarding balancing and wear. Glad to hear your are so good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94