The Great Roadway Bazaar

Scott Brady

Founder
I would really re-think the GPS strategy. A Garmin with the World Map was EXTREMELY useful for the trip.

We will have that, plus many gigs of maps on the computers for detailed navigation. We also have fine detail and waypoints of critical locations, like the port to cross the Caspian, etc.

Scott Brady

Founder
Pamir Highway is out this year. Kyrgyzstan is still having massive unrest.

We are monitoring this closely. Fortunately, there are several routes we can turn north on, if required. Like Azerbaijan north into Russia, or Uzbekistan then north, etc.

Scott Brady

Founder
Our tents. Packing is coming along nicely, and I am sending the first box to France tomorrow. Trying to keep the travel load light - I learned that the very hard way when traveling to France for the OBC.

attachment.php

Deciding how to prep the vehicle has also been interesting, with the goal of as little as possible, as much as necessary

Modifications to Jimny:

1. +1 BFG AT Tires (5)
2. OME Heavy Springs F/R
3. OME Shocks
4. LED driving lights
5. Headlight bulb upgrade
6. Front aluminum skid plate, which covers oil pan
7. Front and Rear HD recovery points
8. Rear load lashing rings- HD.
9. Additional 12v power port.

Thats it...

I will post our final gear list soon. It is amazing how little you really need. Essentially, we are going to have two backpacks with personal gear. Two camera/laptop bags. A tool/spare kit. A small camping kit with stove, chairs, etc. It will all easily fit in the Jimny, with no roof rack.

Attachments

• Nemo_.jpg
    Nemo_.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 918

LC4Dakar

Adventurer
We are monitoring this closely. Fortunately, there are several routes we can turn north on, if required. Like Azerbaijan north into Russia, or Uzbekistan then north, etc.

Have they opened the Azerbaijan-Russian border? Last I heard it was still closed. The Russians on the Black Sea ferry last year warned us about going too far south once we got to Russia. Very Dangerous they said.

Scott Brady

Founder
Mostly the iPhone - seriously.

Real nav support is typically only needed in the cities, where there is cell coverage anyways (almost everywhere now). Otherwise, simple paper maps.

For serious help and tracking, we are going to have the Hema Navigator with us.

LC4Dakar

Adventurer
Ah, but here is the critical map! If anyone had ever told me I would wear out a map of Kazakhstan I would have told them they were crazy!

Watch out for cell phone use past Turkey. My partner ran up $1,800 in roaming charges ($4.99/minute). Text where possible.

IMG_1411.jpg
[/IMG]

JSQ

Adventurer
Mostly the iPhone - seriously.

I like it.

This is trip is minimalist without making a contest out of it.
It's not like ultralight backpacking where you cut your toothbrush in half, but it's definitely making do with just the essentials.

haven

Expedition Leader
The Suzuki Jimny is popular in Russia, so it would be a particularly good
choice for Mongol Rally competitors taking the northern route to Ulaanbaatar.

suzuki-jimny.jpg

Too bad Suzuki doesn't import these to USA!

Scott Brady

Founder
We just received details on the start in Barcelona.

Festival of Slow - Spain

A seaside launch from the splendid Barcelona 24th July 2010

The Spanish Festival of Slow will be hosted by Barcelona - and right by the sea too allowing the teams one last look at the ocean before they face four weeks of mountains, deserts and barren steppe...

On 24th July 2010 44 teams will gather from all over Spain and some from much further afield for the first time since signing up for the mighty Mongol Rally 2010 late last year. The day will be a celebration of all things slow, adventuresome and unpredictable and the teams who are indulging in the adventure.

You are invited... It's free for everyone

You are cordially invited to come and meet the teams, check out their comically unsuitable vehicles and see the kind of thing you could be doing in the summer of 2011...

The details for the teams

Friday 23rd July:

The launch site is at the end of Carrer de la Marina, on the harbourside in Barcelona - it is marked with a blue flag on the map opposite. on Friday 23rd July afternoon/evening any time from 6pm. You can leave your car on site if you need or want to. Though there will be security on the site, we cannot guarantee that the valuables inside your vehicles will be safe - so please ensure you remove your prized possessions - money, cameras, passports etc - from your vehicles! Past teams can tell you just how frustrating it is to loose your passport and money on the day of the launch and it presents quite a challenge to getting to Mongolia!

Once you're parked up, you are welcome to join an informal gathering at El Filferro Bar, 10 minutes walk from the launch site. This is marked with a cocktail glass on the map opposite! They have reserved tables for you from about 18:30 - 19:00 so aim to get there for then. There will be some Mongol Rally balloons outside so that you can be sure you have the right place! The full address of the bar is:

Bar El Filferro, C/ Sant Carles, 29, Barceloneta, Barcelona. Their telephone number should you want to check directions, is (+34) 932219836.

We hope that most of you will come along to meet some of your fellow Mongol Rally teams, and meet our team out in Barcelona. Jesus Barcala, a Mongol Rally and Rickshaw Run veteran will be there to meet you. He will be taking up the stage at the launch on Saturday, so Friday night is your opportunity to meet the chap who's going to announce your launch to the world at large!

Saturday 24th July:

You can wander back to the launch site at the civilised time of 9:00 on Saturday morning. From 9:30 you will need to register your team and collect your team pack from the team registration gazebo - this will be clearly marked with a banner saying "Matriculacion de los equipos."

From 11:00 the launch will kick off in earnest - Ex rally legend Jesus will take to the stage to do the introductions and;

From 11:15 each of you will have the chance to take you and your steed to the stage - you'll have one minute to say who you are, why you think driving to Mongolia is a good thing to do, and get a photo of you, your team and your vehicle in front of the start line. Remember to keep it short - you really only have 1 minute to tell the world about your team and someone will be timing you!

At 12:15 there'll be a brief intro to the charities Nadeishda and the CNCF who many of you have supported this year. Unfortunately neither of these charities are able to attend the launch, but they would like to send their thanks nevertheless!

At 12:30 we'd rather like to get a Mongol Rally 2010 Barca teams photo with all team members on the starting ramp. Once this has been successfully achieved, any press who have come to the launch will have an opportunity to interview the teams they are interested in featuring.

At 13:00 award giving will commence - 2 of the teams leaving from Barcelona will be picking up an award!

At 13:30 you need to be back in your cars and ready to go and from this point until around 2pm, teams will cross the starting line for the final time. You will be directed up the starting ramp for one last photo opportunity and one last chance to wave goodbye to the tearey loved ones you are leaving behind as you venture into the unknown...

Anyone in the area that wants to stop by. . .

I leave for France in the morning.
16743_X500Y375.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke