Mexico and Central America

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I am planning a trip to Belize/guatemala and the Yucatan Peninsula, any isuues or concerns I need to be aware of?

Oh! your truck looks great!

cell4soul

Adventurer
eurorom said:
I am planning a trip to Belize/guatemala and the Yucatan Peninsula, any isuues or concerns I need to be aware of?

Oh! your truck looks great!

Not really. The borders can be a pain in the rear to cross. They are all very disorganized. The Aduana and Imigracion are two different checks and usually not marked. With the exception of Belize, they won't speak English, or very little. It helps if you speak Spanish, and I speak fairly well. Do Not drive in Belize without insurance, there will be checks and they will require it. In Belize, do not waste your time in Belize City unless it is to get to San Pedro Island. There is a huge crack problem and very ghetto. Not to take from Belize, because it is beautiful. The whole area you are visiting is gorgeous with some of the best Scuba Diving in the world. I highly recommend getting certified if you are not already. Definitely visit Tikal in Guatemala, and as far as the ruins in Mexico I liked Palenque better than Chichen Itza, only becasue you can still walk on the ruins. Tikal is far and away the best of all ruins. Also, while near Chichen Itza be sure to go to the Cenote', there are a lot of them, but the one near Chichen Itza is amazing. just don't go when a tour bus pulls up, if you do just go sit at the bar til it leaves. Here is some pictures of a cenote:
2385328410098983477S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2306630940098983477S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2966303910098983477S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I could go on and on about the area, but you will be amazed. And don't sweat anything. Just stay alert, know you are in another country, and have a lot of patience......I say patience, becasue in the states you are used to modern conveniences, organization, a certain pace and level of service and many other things you won't find down there. Have fun!

Gerrit

cruiser guy

Explorer
Yep, I would like to make it as far as Panama this time. I've been as far as Honduras and El Salvador by vehicle.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
cruiser guy said:
Yep, I would like to make it as far as Panama this time. I've been as far as Honduras and El Salvador by vehicle.

How difficult would it be to travel to Panama, car permits? passports?

cell4soul

Adventurer
eurorom said:

It is no more difficult to get to Panama than any other Central American Country, just further. We entered Panam through the Pacific side of Costa Rica and exited throught the Carribiean Side, near Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. The Carribbean side is a much mellower border.

cell4soul

Adventurer
cruiser guy said:

Keep us updated on your progress! I assume you've been to Roatan Hondorus? That place is beautiful and my new favorite spot to dive.

pwc

Explorer
I started reading this book the other night after checking out their website and reviews on Amazon. http://www.brindlepress.com/

0974908037.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Looks like a lot of really good and relevant information. they have 96 'camp' sites in the back with GPS locations. they break down their budget and they're writing style is easy to read while being very descriptive and insightful (well, at least the first 4 days have been :) )

I also appreciated the info on taking a dog with you. We have two and keneling them for such a tip would be a big expense. I found the cost will be a wash with installing rear AC in the truck for them.

cruiser guy

Explorer
cell4soul said:
Keep us updated on your progress! I assume you've been to Roatan Hondorus? That place is beautiful and my new favorite spot to dive.

Not actually to Roatan but as close as one can be without being there!

http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3808

I've got my progress posted there too under "Trips in Progress" but that's a "log in only" part of the site.

I've posted there because it seems to take my pictures easier since I have no resizing tool on the laptop.

eurorom said:

If you can deal with the border formalities as far as Guatemala I don't imagine that Panama can be that intimidating any longer! I'll need to check on insurance as I don't think my Central American coverage does Panama. I've got my maps already.

I hope Scott forgives me for only posting on the 4wdtrips.net site!

Last edited:

cell4soul

Adventurer
From La Ceiba you are only a short boat ride to Roatan, I think it is well worth it, especially if you want to dive. We left my truck at the ferry station for 5 days loaded with gear and had no problems. There is 24 hour armed security....or you can put your truck on a ferry. I'm suddenly missing Central America.

4x4_E350

Thanks for the great reports & pics all.

Posted this on advrider and getting mixed reviews on safety in Guatemala.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223225

I may be taking a job in Roatan later this year and it would be tempting
to drive my 4x4 van loaded with my bike and other stuff all the way to
Honduras, then take the car ferry to Roatan. VS driving to Florida and having it all shipped.

My buddy is buying some property for development and I would start living there full time during and after.

What is your guys take on a drive to Honduras like Im considering?
My van, bike, kayak, mtb, dogs, etc. Was thinking about shipping all
of my smaller valuables, computers, video, personal stuff, etc...

Is it stupid to try it solo, even when eliminating night travel?
Should I take a passenger, drive in a caravan perhaps?
How long will a drive out of Texas take?

Sorry for the 20 questions, it would be a big trip for me.

cruiser guy

Explorer
Stop yer worrying!

I've been in Guatemala on and off for the past 2-3 years with a Canadian tagged vehicle. I've driven to LaCeiba which is the jumping off point for Roatan as well as beyond all the way to Irona which is the end of the road!

Is it possible to be robbed on the trip? That's like asking is it possible to be mugged in NYC! Of course it can happen, no one can assure you it won't.

The big thing is to try NOT to look rich. Having all your goodies hanging all over your truck will NOT help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94