ATTN BajaRack Owners with 4Runners

SilverBullet

Explorer
Does anyone have any pictures of the specific models of racks that BajaRack makes specific for the 3rd Generation 4Runner. I have searched read that they make one to go in the tracks on my factory rack, but with the 4th gen out now, that is the primary one on their website. The forum here has some, but nothing to compare them all.

Also a few questions:
1) With the racks mentioned above, will the sun roof still open in the moon-roof position (slanted up)?
2) What is the load capacity of a 4Runner roof. I have heard 300#, so a roof top tent is out of the question for more than 1 adult, right?
3) Has anyone ever fabbed jack and awning brackets to go on the expedition style racks? I like the no sides, but these would be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I got the rack made especially for the 3rd generation. It comes with 'feet' that will slide into the factory rails.

IMG_2857.jpg

I was not wanting something that would extend too far forward of the rails even though I don't have a sunroof.

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

Since I am getting an Outlander trailer, my needs for the rack have changed dramatically. Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Does anyone have any pictures of the specific models of racks that BajaRack makes specific for the 3rd Generation 4Runner. I have searched read that they make one to go in the tracks on my factory rack, but with the 4th gen out now, that is the primary one on their website. The forum here has some, but nothing to compare them all.

Also a few questions:
1) With the racks mentioned above, will the sun roof still open in the moon-roof position (slanted up)?
2) What is the load capacity of a 4Runner roof. I have heard 300#, so a roof top tent is out of the question for more than 1 adult, right?
3) Has anyone ever fabbed jack and awning brackets to go on the expedition style racks? I like the no sides, but these would be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

To hopefully answer your questions I have this rack on my truck. I have no problem with the sunroof whatsoever...when you mount it, because of how it mounts into the tracks, you can set and center it however you want to be sure to clear the sunroof and back door.

I have not used this rack with a RTT but SOAZ ran one on his truck for a while with 2 people sleeping in it and as far as I know had no issues. His RTT however was mounted to Thule bars and not this rack.

I have some custom Hi-lift and ax shovel mounts that TMac so kindly helped fab up for me because I just couldn't swing the cost of the Baja Rack mounts:

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

Sorry I do not have any good pics of the shovel/ax mount at this time. I have not tried to fab up any awning brackets because I have an extra pair that came with our Baja Rack for the FJC.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I got the rack made especially for the 3rd generation. It comes with 'feet' that will slide into the factory rails.

IMG_2857.jpg

I was not wanting something that would extend too far forward of the rails even though I don't have a sunroof.

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

Since I am getting an Outlander trailer, my needs for the rack have changed dramatically. Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

I have seen yours on a 4Runner forum other than here, thanks. So is that the Mule or Mega Mule?

SilverBullet

Explorer
To hopefully answer your questions I have this rack on my truck. I have no problem with the sunroof whatsoever...when you mount it, because of how it mounts into the tracks, you can set and center it however you want to be sure to clear the sunroof and back door.

I have not used this rack with a RTT but SOAZ ran one on his truck for a while with 2 people sleeping in it and as far as I know had no issues. His RTT however was mounted to Thule bars and not this rack.

I have some custom Hi-lift and ax shovel mounts that TMac so kindly helped fab up for me because I just couldn't swing the cost of the Baja Rack mounts:

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

Sorry I do not have any good pics of the shovel/ax mount at this time. I have not tried to fab up any awning brackets because I have an extra pair that came with our Baja Rack for the FJC.

Any side pics or perhaps top looking down? Also, is yours the Mule or Mega Mule. I am thinking about the Mega Mule but worried the length will be too much. I actually like the expedition rack for the RTT and such, but have concerns about load.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
I have seen yours on a 4Runner forum other than here, thanks. So is that the Mule or Mega Mule?

This rack is NEITHER the Mule or the Mega Mule...It is the Baja Rack specifically for the 3rd generation. I got mine at TRDparts4u (ask for Jacque). The difference between the Mule and the specific 3rd generation rack is how installs on the roof. The 3rd generation has custom feet that slide into the factory installed roof tracks while the Mule is attached to the factory cross bars...

IMG_2857.jpg

Here are some pics of the Mule on Jacque's 3rd gen. As you can see, the Mule sits quite a bit higher due to the rack attaching to the factory roof rack cross bars...Credit Jacque for these pics...:victory:

bajamule4.jpg

bajamule1.jpg

Here are some pics of the expedition Baja Rack for RTTs for the 3rd generation...
Credit John at BajaRack for these pics...

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0530.jpg

Hope these help...

Regards,

BWJ

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Same answer as bwj...neither. It's the Baja Rack made specifically for the 3rd gen 4Runner...which is what I thought you were asking about.

I have no additional pics at this time as I'm writing this from somewhere else.

SilverBullet

Explorer
Okay, clarify, sorry. I know they are not the Mule or MegaMule, but length wise, how long are they? I plan to use Adventure Trailers for the buy since I am local to them and avoid shipping, but still want to decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior