Camper Trailer Skin options ?

gahi

Adventurer
Most cars are I think 20 gauge, plus they have the compound curves stiffen them. Considering aluminum is softer, I wouldnt want to go any thinner. Also, see whats available in the sizes you need. For me, I needed some 5ft x 10ft sheets. Heres a shot of the frame with the aluminum on it.
P1000435.jpg

VE2WHZ

Adventurer
Most cars are I think 20 gauge, plus they have the compound curves stiffen them. Considering aluminum is softer, I wouldnt want to go any thinner. Also, see whats available in the sizes you need. For me, I needed some 5ft x 10ft sheets. Heres a shot of the frame with the aluminum on it.
P1000435.jpg

WOW

do you have more pic ??

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I used FRP on the first trailer build. I scuffed it lightly, primed it with Rustoleum Plasic primer, then shot it with two light coats of silver rustoleum...two years old, came out great and looked great!

tom

If you want to stay light stick with aluminum. The Industry standard for Rv's is .019. Goes on like siding with a blind, hidden fastener. If you want to make it structual use foam block insulation and the the can foam to bond it to siding, inside and out, and to framing. Its quick and easy if you use a foam gun. It's a whole lot better than the cans because the gun has a lot more contol. There about $40.00. If you use sheets check out 3M. They have a very high bond, VHB, tape designed just for appling skin to metal faming members. Once it's set it takes and air chisle or sawal to get it lose, it's real serious tape and not that expensive if you consider the labor savings. Hope this helps.

Tom

Hafwit

Adventurer
Regarding composites again, how about simple fiberglass sheets as are used to build shed roofs, patio covers, etc? It might look a little old fashioned, but it ought to be a good material. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg

gahi

Adventurer
Regarding composites again, how about simple fiberglass sheets as are used to build shed roofs, patio covers, etc? It might look a little old fashioned, but it ought to be a good material. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg

Like the corrugated stuff? If so, it would be hard to seal at the joints.

Hard Corps

Thanks,
Greg

Been reading all the threads here on trailers soaking in ideas to build my own. I'm considering using a product called Sea Board for the sides (over a welded steel structure) rather than steel sheet. 1/4" sea board is half the weight of 16 ga steel. Its also UV stable, never rusts or needs paint (its available in colors) and works pretty much like wood.

I've used it in a few other projects and it is tough stuff. Cost isn't too bad but it is more expensive than treated ply. It is used alot to replace cabin decking in sailboats. Seems like a good fit for off road trailers to me.

Cheers,
Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior