What's the deal with the Freelander?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
A big part of the problem with the Freelander's reputation is because it was only available with the Rover V6 and auto transmission in America, which aren't very good units. Actually, from what I've read, seems the auto isn't that bad except for one fatal flaw, that maybe isn't even that hard to diagnose and fix, but the dealers are just suckering everybody into paying for a whole new trans. The engine requires a rediculously expensive timing belt change, and develops a mysterious engine coolant loss that can't be traced back to a leak or head gaskets? Other than that, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It isn't a hardcore off-roader, it was never intended to be, and that's fine.

I wouldn't mind picking up an 05 myself, as a daily driver. But I'm pretty concerned about those two issues. Lately I have been concidering an 08 at some point. It's built on the Ford EUCD platform, and much of it is shared with a number of Volvos and Fords, and it's a Volvo engine. All good stuff. It does have a Haldex AWD system which I'm not a fan of and I question the durability/repairability of it. But, I'm another year or two away so... we'll see what happens in the interim.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
...from what I've read, seems the auto isn't that bad except for one fatal flaw.....

The engine requires a rediculously expensive timing belt change, and develops a mysterious engine coolant loss that can't be traced back to a leak or head gaskets

Other than that, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

The transmissions are junk.

A timing belt will cost you $1800 to change (There are 3 belts....One is $264.00 and the other two are $138.00 a piece, plus labor)

The motors all go bad. There isn't one that hasn't gone bad. The only remedy is a new motor....A new motor is $6000.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.....:smilies27

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
So now they have this LR2, which I guess is supposed to be one less than the LR3. It resembles the Freelander quite a bit. Has much changed internally or is it just a facelift?
yeah I'm wondering about that too. The First gen's were garbage, plain old garbage. Take every horror story you've heard about land rovers and they happened consistantly to the Freelander. The Diesel versions were marginaly better (heaps better in the engine department alone) but still suffered the electrical gremlins of the gas powered US version... which was known to blow it's motor, be it a HG or a full on windowed block.

I heard one give up the ghost from a distance @ the TSF trails here in Oregon. most everyone in our group mlooked at eachother and grimaced... We didn't know what it was but it sounded like a day-ender for sure. Several hours later we came back through the same way and sure enough, there was the freelander (it actualy looked cool with some tall skinny tires and a basket rack etc.) with a nice big fat hole in the side of the block. The guy was revving the snot out of it and I'd guess a wrist-pin lert go or something??? I didn't investiate that closely it was tha5t bad you could see from just a peer into the engine bay(yIKES! I never want to see that under my hood) Either way it was hosed and a LONG way from the trail head...

BUT: As someone else said, the new Freelander II looks like the freelander front clip grafted onto a shrunken Range Rover back end. It looks quite nice eh. Plus from all the video's I'm seeing on youtube it appears like it moght have a low range???? Can't tell for sure, but it definatly tackles things the original would have struggled with.

SO what's the deal on the FL-II??? It would appear that LR took all the flack of the first Freelander and dove into making a wholy better rig all-around. But I don't know...

Cheers

Dave

SMD

Adventurer
Plus from all the video's I'm seeing on youtube it appears like it moght have a low range???? Can't tell for sure, but it definatly tackles things the original would have struggled with.

No low range, no rock crawl mode on the Terrain Response. Has the other modes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke