$299 scratch and dent fridges on ebay

Xterabl

Adventurer
How compares?
To summarize all my reading/research (I now own one -- only for a couple weeks now -- and am cautiously very happy with it):
- solid parts and design
- but: fickle build quality (maybe no big deal if you're willing to (1) open it up and check the wire connections and/or (2) replace the 12V socket plug -- which tends to have intermitent mating to some power/cigarette outlets -- with something better...ideally hard-wire to battery)
-Twice the power consumption compared to the others (5-6 amps) at 12V compared to 2-3 amps)

I have not used the cadillac fridges, but the Edgestar has a nice simple control for temp change and "fast freeze", as well as good battery protection circuitry which shuts down the fridge when it senses battery at 10.4V and re-starts if battery goes above 11.8V. Also nice is it memorizes your temperature set point after unplugging and re-plugging (I don't know for how long it memorizes it).

Xterabl

Adventurer
Been searching around for information about the compressor...in my fridge is labeled QDZH25G. From googling, brands seems to be "Zhejiang Liyoung Comprssor Co."

Here's data on the unit:
http://www.liyoung-compressor.com/DC-Compressor-1.html
Here's some information about the compressor in the link:
DC COMPRESSOR
Suitable for water dispenser,small refrigerator,small freezer,wine cellar and other small cooling appliances used for car,ship and camping.
The main feature:small volume, light weight,strong bearing to shocking,high efficiency,low noise,good reliability.
Cooling system running requirement:In case the ambient temperature over 43℃,the stable running input of DC compressor should not over 80 watt.

Controller
Controller overheating protection,when inside temperature of the controller is over 95℃,the current will be disconnected,automatic resetting when the temperature lowing down.
If outside extension, we suggest to use DC blower fan cool the condenser, the compressor and the controller.
Protection signal of controller: flash frequency within 4S.
Error type: 1 time:fault of hardware 2 times: over-current 3 times: over-voltage
4 times: overload 5 times: over-temperature
Fault connecting of anode and cathode of voltage,compressor not run..
Anyways, seems to be unproven component...no track record. But I'm not sure there is yet any documentation that a compressor has failed.

Also, here is a link to a Microsoft WORD document showing properties of the compressor controller:
http://zjghengtian.com/HT_CC100DC12-24V-Anen.doc

EDIT: here is same info but in HTML format:
http://www.sikelan.com/product.asp?id=419&classid=103&action_i=103&type=b

This document contains wiring information and also tables of various resistors to use if you want to (a) change power cut-out/cut-in voltages () or (b) change the RPM of the comprssor. The first option may be useful for example if you use a non-starting deep cycle battery that is OK to repeatedly bring below 10.4 V; the second option may allow to reduce the power consumption of the unit at the expense of rapid cooling (assuming it's not already set to operate at the lowest RPM value...which is *probably* a safe assumption but should be verified).

However, keep in mind that, based on various posts (on this and other boards) it's not 100% clear to me that the Edgestars even use the same compressor -- which kind of complicates things.

EDIT: whoa these things are kind of cheap...$85.57 for on-off with $259.62 for shipping from china to U.S. Well, actually on 2nd thought, maybe consider the labor cost before judging quality of the item based solely on price.
LINK: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-g...ressor-with-reasonable-price-wholesalers.html

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Woah, why did I think this had the Danfoss compressor?

I've had problems with this so far, since my billing is different than shipping address, I got an email from Living Direct that I need to call in to confirm. But the 866 number given doesn't work from Canada. I tried another number I found for Simply Dehumidifiers which is the same company (there are like 10 different companies attached to eachother). That didn't work either. I was getting frustrated, but then BirfMark's 800 number worked. What a PITA. Anyway, they say it will ship tomorrow. I hope there's no more delay. I'm having it sent to Lucky8LLC in NY where I'll pick it up, along with a bunch of transmission stuff I'm buying from him. I wanted to go down to get my transmission this week. Friday would be great.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Been searching around for information about the compressor...in my fridge is labeled QDZH25G. From googling, brands seems to be "Zhejiang Liyoung Comprssor Co."

Here's data on the unit:
http://www.liyoung-compressor.com/DC-Compressor-1.html
Here's some information about the compressor in the link:

Anyways, seems to be unproven component...no track record. But I'm not sure there is yet any documentation that a compressor has failed.

Also, here is a link to a Microsoft WORD document showing properties of the compressor controller:
http://zjghengtian.com/HT_CC100DC12-24V-Anen.doc

EDIT: here is same info but in HTML format:
http://www.sikelan.com/product.asp?id=419&classid=103&action_i=103&type=b

This document contains wiring information and also tables of various resistors to use if you want to (a) change power cut-out/cut-in voltages () or (b) change the RPM of the comprssor. The first option may be useful for example if you use a non-starting deep cycle battery that is OK to repeatedly bring below 10.4 V; the second option may allow to reduce the power consumption of the unit at the expense of rapid cooling (assuming it's not already set to operate at the lowest RPM value...which is *probably* a safe assumption but should be verified).

However, keep in mind that, based on various posts (on this and other boards) it's not 100% clear to me that the Edgestars even use the same compressor -- which kind of complicates things.

EDIT: whoa these things are kind of cheap...$85.57 for on-off with $259.62 for shipping from china to U.S. Well, actually on 2nd thought, maybe consider the labor cost before judging quality of the item based solely on price.
LINK: http://www.aliexpress.com/product-g...ressor-with-reasonable-price-wholesalers.html

This thread said that it was a Panasonic Matsu****a?

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10205&highlight=edgestar

Bikeman71

Observer
Woah, why did I think this had the Danfoss compressor?

I've had problems with this so far, since my billing is different than shipping address, I got an email from Living Direct that I need to call in to confirm. But the 866 number given doesn't work from Canada. I tried another number I found for Simply Dehumidifiers which is the same company (there are like 10 different companies attached to eachother). That didn't work either. I was getting frustrated, but then BirfMark's 800 number worked. What a PITA. Anyway, they say it will ship tomorrow. I hope there's no more delay. I'm having it sent to Lucky8LLC in NY where I'll pick it up, along with a bunch of transmission stuff I'm buying from him. I wanted to go down to get my transmission this week. Friday would be great.

Don't feel too bad about your ship date.......their processing time will be one week IF they ship my fridge tomorrow.

chadlsaurus

Has anyone done any energy consumption comparisons between the name brand and Edgestar fridges? Or more simply, has anyone compared how long and how often they run relative to each other at a given temperature? Everyone talks about power consumption when they're running but what's just as important is what percent of the time they spend running since energy (the actual chemical potential stored in your battery) = power x time. Also, if the Englestar's higher current draw means that it's flowing more refrigerant and getting it's hot heat exchanger hotter and it's cold heat exchanger colder then it might be more efficient despite looking more power hungry at first glance.

Chad

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well, yesterday came and went, no shipping confirmation. I did get an order confirmation, but that's it. I'm going to call, this can't hold everything up.

Strizzo

Explorer
i got an order confirmation last week, i think the day after i ordered, and i haven't had a shipping confirmation yet either. i sent an email this morning.

the ebay ad did say to expect 5-7 working days for shipping, though

Bikeman71

Observer
I paid for mine over one week ago and still have not received any shipping information. Are we already running into the old saying, "you get what you pay for" before we even have it in hand?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm just surprised, considering it's the same company that ships really fast on the other orders. I wonder if they are pre-selling open box fridges, but have to wait for them to come in? I'm also just annoyed that the woman on the phone told me it was definitely going to ship yesterday.

Bikeman71

Observer
I'm just surprised, considering it's the same company that ships really fast on the other orders. I wonder if they are pre-selling open box fridges, but have to wait for them to come in? I'm also just annoyed that the woman on the phone told me it was definitely going to ship yesterday.

yep, i was told the exact same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94