New luggage for outdoor

Kathy_Wills

Thanks, Rusty, for the suggestion. Looking at the discussion (or the lack of it), I thought maybe I should post some more details about my needs. I am looking for an outdoorsy bag that can hold some scuba dive gear. However, I should also be able to use it for cross country trips – essentially something sturdy to withstand extreme travel abuse.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Kathy, the extra info helps.

I haven't done as much Scuba diving as I would like, but I find that a mesh bag to hold wet gear is really what I like. I use one that's large enough to schlep my gear to and from the boat or shore dive. I got it from Campmor online. Then I put a large ziplock or two inside to protect the things I want to stay dry; usually a small towel is all. 'Course, that's for small boats, not live-aboards.

On the other hand, mesh bags aren't really good for general travel, as the mesh tends to find and grab on to any semi sharp edge or corner.

Fortunately, even rugged mesh bags will pack pretty small, so for general travel I stuff it and the dried-out gear inside a regular large sport duffel.

I don't like to advertise that I am carrying a bunch of expensive dive gear, so I avoid the bags sold in the dive shops with logos and dive flags on 'em.

If you want to use the bags for airline travel, remember weight restrictions. I've really been surprised that many travel bags weigh a lot empty. A heavy bag means you can't put as much in it without paying more fees.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
The plain duffel bag suggestion seems good for the tanks but don't you need to keep the regulator etc. pretty clean?
If your travel plans include off road travel dust will find it's way into any bag with a zippered closer. I'd look a pelican case with some internal padding for stuff that is sensitive to dirt/shock.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
The plain duffel bag suggestion seems good for the tanks but don't you need to keep the regulator etc. pretty clean?
If your travel plans include off road travel dust will find it's way into any bag with a zippered closer. I'd look a pelican case with some internal padding for stuff that is sensitive to dirt/shock.

The regs have attached dust covers that will suffice, but most people carry them in a padded zipper bag. Especially since most divers have an attached dive computer to protect, as well. Throw the padded bag inside the duffel, as well. Or carry it separately (carry on). If you are on a budget, I have read that thrift store insulated casserole carry bags work just as well.

Really the only dive gear that needs something like a Pelican case is high-end photo/video gear. Everything else is really rugged, and will do fine in a normal duffel. Even with gorilla baggage handlers.

As for the dust, if it's waterproof to 150+ feet, it's pretty well dust proof. It won't get hurt by dust, and you will have plenty of water to rinse it off at your destination...

Most divers don't travel with tanks. They are difficult to travel with, and readily available for rent at popular dive sites. You would really have a hard time finding a place to dive where tanks weren't available cheaply. Personally, I would even have a hard time justifying buying tanks for local diving. If you own a tank, you still have to pay to have it filled, and it's only a couple of dollars more to rent one. Plus you have to 1) pay for the tank and 2) pay for annual visual inspections 3) pay for the hydro cert every 10 years. Last time I rented a tank, which was several years ago, it cost about $5 to have a tank filled, versus $7 to rent a filled tank. At $2/dive, it takes a long time to pay off a $150 tank, without factoring in the inspection costs. Oh, and the only way to get a tank on an airline is to remove the valve. Then to have it filled you have to pay for an inspection and cleaning, which can only be done by a dive shop, which rents tanks cheap. Really no good reason to try to travel with tanks 99.9% of the time.

Sorry if I got carried away.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
The regs have attached dust covers that will suffice, but most people carry them in a padded zipper bag. Especially since most divers have an attached dive computer to protect, as well. Throw the padded bag inside the duffel, as well. Or carry it separately (carry on). If you are on a budget, I have read that thrift store insulated casserole carry bags work just as well.

Really the only dive gear that needs something like a Pelican case is high-end photo/video gear. Everything else is really rugged, and will do fine in a normal duffel. Even with gorilla baggage handlers.

As for the dust, if it's waterproof to 150+ feet, it's pretty well dust proof. It won't get hurt by dust, and you will have plenty of water to rinse it off at your destination...

Most divers don't travel with tanks. They are difficult to travel with, and readily available for rent at popular dive sites. You would really have a hard time finding a place to dive where tanks weren't available cheaply. Personally, I would even have a hard time justifying buying tanks for local diving. If you own a tank, you still have to pay to have it filled, and it's only a couple of dollars more to rent one. Plus you have to 1) pay for the tank and 2) pay for annual visual inspections 3) pay for the hydro cert every 10 years. Last time I rented a tank, which was several years ago, it cost about $5 to have a tank filled, versus $7 to rent a filled tank. At $2/dive, it takes a long time to pay off a $150 tank, without factoring in the inspection costs. Oh, and the only way to get a tank on an airline is to remove the valve. Then to have it filled you have to pay for an inspection and cleaning, which can only be done by a dive shop, which rents tanks cheap. Really no good reason to try to travel with tanks 99.9% of the time.

Sorry if I got carried away.

Fascinating stuff to someone who knows nothing about the sport. It all makes perfect sense. I was thinking more in terms of traveling from a jumping off point to a remote location, you know diving in lake Titicaca.:sombrero:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Northface Duffels

I have several Northface Duffels that I have carted gear around the world with (motorcycle, camping etc). They have lasted very well and no rockape baggage handler has managed to wreck them yet. Not waterproof but water resistant and dust resistant enough that I will use them on the motorcycle. Good tie down points and the shoulder harness does work.

Actually we have used these to move countries 3 times now (and the roll up small enough when you get a London size apartment with no storage :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior