Cabritos 2000 KLR650

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Cabritos 2000 KLR650 ongoing bike build and trip report thread

Finally back in the saddle after a few years. More than a few since being on another KLR. This is my third one.

My first KLR was a '89 that took me all over northern CA and multiple trips down I-5 to see my girl in LA. It also took me on a great solo trip to Death Valley in the month of July!

Back then more than ten years ago I'd heard of the doohickey. I never had one in any of my previous ones and drove them a lot. Both had over 25k miles on them. That was way back around '96. There was plenty of Internet to, but nothing like now. There is so much info out there that my head is spinning.

It's a 2000 model that was poorly maintained for a short time by a young man who sold it to me.
IMG00073-20100608-1320.jpg

I'm curious to hear from some of the other KLR folks here on Expedition Portal on what KLR forum they prefer and what sources they like for parts and such.

I have a few ideas for add-ons so I will post them as I go.

Last edited:

emohn

Observer
Nice KLR!

Here's mine (also a green 2000 model) loaded up for a 1400 mile Lap of Kentucky.
908655699_XZJJt-L.jpg

I bought it back in February from a guy in Knoxville off ADVrider.com and have put about 3k miles on it since. I'm having a blast with it. I've added the $17 Stearns ATV seat pad, $18 nylon saddlebags (with the middle connecting part cinched up a bit, but I need to cut out about 5" to get them sitting higher and farther back), and the Large $22 Walmart Dry Bag on the rear rack for clothes and other gear.

The bike already had the doohickey replaced, dual star bash plate, acerbis handguards and wolfman tank bag when I bought it. Next on the agenda for me is replacing the factory fuse setup and adding additional fused circuits by going with something like Eastern Beaver's PC-8 fuseblock. I've got a Garmin 2610 I need to get a RAM Mount for and wire in and would like to add heated grips at some point, so the electrical upgrades will hopefully simplify their addition.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Nice KLR!

I've added the $17 Stearns ATV seat pad, $18 nylon saddlebags (with the middle connecting part cinched up a bit, but I need to cut out about 5" to get them sitting higher and farther back), and the Large $22 Walmart Dry Bag on the rear rack for clothes and other gear.

I've got a Garmin 2610 I need to get a RAM Mount for and wire in and would like to add heated grips at some point, so the electrical upgrades will hopefully simplify their addition.

Nice setup. Wish mine was in as nice as shape as yours.

You got some nice additions there. I'd like to put one of those pads on the seat but I'm just 5'6" and can barely touch the ground as it is. I'm thinking about one of those Corbin seats that can take 2.5 inches off the height but they are spendy.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
New Plastics and Nuvi 500 GPS mounted

So I got some plastics that are in a little better shape. Not from the same year but I can live with it for now. I'm thinking about one of the IMS army green tanks so the mis-match might not matter.
KLRbodywork.jpg

It looks way better.
IMG00109-20100628-1125.jpg

I did not replace the rear section yet.

GPS is fun but not really needed around town.
IMG00102-20100625-1513.jpg

Here are a few shots of the RAM mount
IMG00105-20100625-1514.jpg
IMG00104-20100625-1514.jpg

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I just joined the KLR650 club a couple days ago. Mine looked much like the first picture in this thread with the heavy oxidation. It is a 2000 as well.
I found that scrubbing the oxidation off with SOS steel wool pads and then using a heat gun to blend the fine scratches works great. It brings the plastic back to near new condition.

KLR650.JPG
KLR6502.JPG

Hit that with Mother's Back to Black and they are good to go.
I have a Cycle Rack on my TW200 and love it. That was the first thing this one got. The tall windshield doesn't work well for me. The air vibrates my helmet so I picked up a stock windshield from a friend to replace it. The tank bag and Happy Trails highway bars were already on it.

I was neat to see the Ram GPS mount. I have one of those mounts on the way for my PN-20.

Now I need to get the wife comfortable on the TW200 and we can go riding together.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Something to be said for a carburated thumper...

I agree...

And on that note.
I started to do the fuse mod on the bike while at work the other day. I still need to install it though.
While I was drilling the holes I used a bigger bit to de-burr and applied a little too much pressure and now I have two different sized holes. (see the washer)
IMG00111-20100629-1615.jpg

IMG00112-20100629-1615.jpg

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Your Nuvi

First, nice bike. KLRs are sweet. Good luck with it.

Keep us apprised as to how well the Nuvi holds up on a thumper and out in the weather. I'm in need of a new GPS and I'm having convulsions about spending $600 or so for a Zumo.

Jim

Cabrito

I come in Peace
First, nice bike. KLRs are sweet. Good luck with it.

Keep us apprised as to how well the Nuvi holds up on a thumper and out in the weather. I'm in need of a new GPS and I'm having convulsions about spending $600 or so for a Zumo.

Jim

Thanks,
Will do on the Nuvi reports.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Finally got around to installing the Fuse upgrade and re-location.

I still need to route the wires correctly.

I installed the blade type fuses and upgraded the 10amp to a 15amp (suggested on a KLR forum)
IMG00121-20100709-1650.jpg

I also installed some Anderson Power Poles so I can plug in my charger or a cig adapter to power up the GPS or HAM radio.
IMG00138-20100713-2103.jpg

Cabrito

I come in Peace
New Moose Hand Guards installed

I think I finally got my hand guards right. I got the smaller Moose ones. I had to trim the one on the brake side to accommodate the master cylinder.

IMG00140-20100718-1726.jpg

It's nice having the beefier ones over the stock.

Motojournalism

Observer
Great bike:wings:
Good call on the handguards, first upgrade I did. Saved my levers many times!
Did I see aluminium handlebars there?

I've only had two fuses go in three years, (lights/rad fan) but it would have made things easier if I'd had that blade/relocation upgrade. Was it difficult? How long did it take?

Mine's been great! It's taken me from Newfoundland to Panama without a hitch.
Just the consumables, tires, chain/sprockets, battery, brakepads etc. Leave the engine stock other than the doohicky and you're set!

Saskatchewan
3960699857_d325cef4df_z.jpg

Just outside Death Valley
4116813958_67372c84e8_z.jpg

El Salvador
4375208476_7802b4e2c5_z.jpg

End of the road in Panama (Carti)
4443422217_b03f2ccca0_z.jpg

The bike is a great "pack-mule" you're gonna love it:bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members