Rust-oleum HELP needed please

barlowrs

Explorer
Hey Guys, I finally got my rear bumper :wings::wings: and I am working on painting it. I got some rust-oleum hammered as it says you do not have to prime with it, but the color is more grey/silver than black, and I don't like it.

I was wondering, can I do a second coat of plain old black oil based rust-oleum ontop of the hammered? I beleive they are both oil based, so I think its ok. Anyone ever done this?

Thanks

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I'm not sure what "look" you're going for but I think you'll be happier with Rustoleum "Satin Black" rather than the hammered stuff.

FWIW- I use Rustoleum gray primer (any color primer works as long as it's not black) and Satin Black on all of our off-road vehicles. It works great for wheels, sliders, skid plates, etc. I've been asked numerous times where I get my parts "powder coated". If you take your time and use multiple light coats, it looks pro and is easy to touch-up when scratched.

barlowrs

Explorer
OK, I went for it.....just put a second coat of regular semi gloss black rust-oleum that I had left over from my sliders. Lets hope the paint doesnt melt off or something. haha

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
surprised you didn't prime it and shoot it with truck bed coating. I use the rustoleum stuff and like it.

barlowrs

Explorer
I happened to have a bunch of it left over from when I painted my sliders. I also couldnt do any kind of spray, since I live in an apt and have no place to spray it. I have to use "paint on" with a brush stuff. I think it will turn out ok...after all its armor, made to take a beating..haha

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
ahh I see. I honestly have never used anything brush on except for some other bed liner stuff that I hated because I could not seem to get a good even coat on. post up some pics when your done. There are about 3 tacos and 2 LC's that keep doing the push/ pull on my want section. If I take this out of state job then I will be purchasing a new ride. having a hard time with the idea of selling the runner but it is really a PITA to put the kido in the rear seat of a 2 door.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The biggest thing when painting anything is prep. Raw steel is often covered in a light oil so it needs to be thoroughly degreased before priming. I recommend a self etching primer on all steel projects as your paint will adhere better and last longer on a properly cleaned and primered surface.

amocaT

Adventurer
Sorry, not to hackjack...But, are you guys clear coating? I'm guessing touch up would be easier w/o the clearcoat. I want to paint some wheels. Can't decide if I want to clear or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior