M416 Build

Shakey

Paid $300 for this last week:
34xj6gi.jpg

Now I want to start a simple build. I spent a few days searching here, but surprisingly couldn't find answers to some questions:

1) The only body work needed is on the rear tailgate, the spare tire hung off of it for years and now there is a large hole. Anyone have a write up for installing a tailgate? I would have rather not cut this up, it's in fantastic shape. But since the tailgate already needs a large patch, I might as well put in a tailgate.

2) I want to keep it spring under. What springs will give me enough lift for 33's?

3) It has new 5x5.5 hubs that retain the stock parking brake. My Jeep is 5x4.5. Can I do a simple hub swap to 5x4.5 and keep the parking brake? Any part numbers?

jeeper92

Adventurer
Hello

Just outta curiosity what are the dimensions on that trailer? Im in the process of securing one and was wondering if ill be able to fit a rtt tent on top of it

thanks

TacoDell

Adventurer
giving up the amphibious, water tight, capability of this trailer,
for a tailgate, just seems a waste.

And... since your not doing the axle over... I'd think it wouldn't be all that difficult to retrieve things over the rails at it's original height.
I'm 5' 10" and seem to have little issue getting things in/out of mine.

If it were my junk... I would replace the missing tie down bracket.
near about where that gash/hole is ?

my rear td bracket was also missing and the tub was left with a gaping wound...

I filled the holes with my mig, utilizing a copper backing plate...
M100 brackets are not easily found, so instead..
I found an M37 tie down bracket, which utilizes bolts/nuts, holes drilled.

IMG_0014-2.jpg

Tho' this replacement bracket is not period correct for my trailer,
It mimics the original with the exception of the bolt thru mount and a slightly shorter ear (hook end).
I'm glad I put it on there... as I use that tie down point often.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Paid $300 for this last week:

Great find! and great price!!

Now I want to start a simple build. I spent a few days searching here, but surprisingly couldn't find answers to some questions:

1) The only body work needed is on the rear tailgate, the spare tire hung off of it for years and now there is a large hole. Anyone have a write up for installing a tailgate? I would have rather not cut this up, it's in fantastic shape. But since the tailgate already needs a large patch, I might as well put in a tailgate.

I also vote to restore the panel, although a tailgate is nice. There are write ups out there on tailgates, just don't recall where I saw them.

2) I want to keep it spring under. What springs will give me enough lift for 33's?

Spring over is your best bet, and is easy to do. Finding springs with enough arch to run 33's sprung under will give the trailer a very rough ride, unless you go with longer springs, new perches/shackles/etc.

3) It has new 5x5.5 hubs that retain the stock parking brake. My Jeep is 5x4.5. Can I do a simple hub swap to 5x4.5 and keep the parking brake? Any part numbers?

I can't help here, kept mine 5 on 5.5

My build for ideas: Shoot me a pm if I can answer any Q's:coffeedrink:
http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n274/hillbillecj7/Adventure Trailer Project/

Just outta curiosity what are the dimensions on that trailer? Im in the process of securing one and was wondering if ill be able to fit a rtt tent on top of it

thanks

Yes, they fit nicely!

trailerCJ001.jpg

M416

You can change the hubs I have been told. The problem is the large center hub on these trailers. I ordered a new axle that would match my jeep and got it with the built in grease fits so I can grease hubs with out taking apart and cost was $150 to my door.

You got a really good price on the trailer. When it comes to the tailgate some will say do it some will say not to. Do what will work best for you.

I have 33's I am about to put on and have been told the will just barely fit if you do not do the SOA. I plan on doing the SOA this weekend. I want the extra room between tires and fender.

To get some extra height you can also replace the rear C shackle with a new H type shackle. Just order the extended length shackle. That will give a little more height.

If I can be of any help just let me know. Alot of people on this site are very helpful and they have a wealth of knowledge.

saburai

Explorer
Great Build thread!

Hi Springhill:victory:

May I ask where you got the axle for $150 shipped?

Many thanks...

You can change the hubs I have been told. The problem is the large center hub on these trailers. I ordered a new axle that would match my jeep and got it with the built in grease fits so I can grease hubs with out taking apart and cost was $150 to my door.

You got a really good price on the trailer. When it comes to the tailgate some will say do it some will say not to. Do what will work best for you.

I have 33's I am about to put on and have been told the will just barely fit if you do not do the SOA. I plan on doing the SOA this weekend. I want the extra room between tires and fender.

To get some extra height you can also replace the rear C shackle with a new H type shackle. Just order the extended length shackle. That will give a little more height.

If I can be of any help just let me know. Alot of people on this site are very helpful and they have a wealth of knowledge.

Axle

I called Randy at ABC trailer. The $150 included welding on the spring perches and $10 for the able to grease the hubs with out taking them apart (built in zerk fitting). Also includes cheap lug nuts. I ordered mine 59" wide and the perches are 39 1/4. I hope this helps. If you need ABC phone number let me know and I can get it at home. :elkgrin:

extras

If you need to replace your drain plugs, need a place to call for leaf spring bolts, u-bolts or c shackles, or part numbers for anything let me know. I have noted it all for future reference. :smiley_drive:

Axle

I got the 3500 lbs axle not the 2000 lb. I got mine without springs because mine were good and ordered u bolts from a place I knew they would have right ones.

You do have the right place to order from, Ask for Randy. Tell him what you are using it for and he will help you.

Shakey

giving up the amphibious, water tight, capability of this trailer,
for a tailgate, just seems a waste.

I have no need for an amphibious trailer. A tailgate, on the other hand, will be very useful. In fact, I'm putting a tailgate on my Jeep for the same reason.

And... since your not doing the axle over... I'd think it wouldn't be all that difficult to retrieve things over the rails at it's original height.
I'm 5' 10" and seem to have little issue getting things in/out of mine.

The lift over height is not the reason I don't want to do a spring over. This will solely be used on the trail to carry camping gear. A spring over trailer will likely be more unpredictable on the trail, and on difficult trails that would not be fun.

If it were my junk... I would replace the missing tie down bracket.
near about where that gash/hole is ?

The tie down bracket is still there, but doesn't show in the picture.

I'm not creating a reproduction, and am not concerned about authenticity. It's going to get taken through trails carrying gear and even used for trail cleanups. I wouldn't drag something period correct through trails and use it for camping.

But I'm discovering that I'll likely have to switch axles, which is a major disappointment because it looks like I'll have to give up the parking brake. I find the parking brake very useful. I haven't given up yet, but since it appears no one on this forum has ever swapped hubs to 5x4.5, I'm under the assumption it's not possible.

I'm keeping it spring under and will search for lift springs that will fit 33s. I'm sure they are out there. But it looks like I need to find a vendor friendly to the idea of ordering multiple sets of springs and allowing me to return what doesn't work. I'm shocked it seems no one on this forum has found springs for a spring under that allow fitting 33s. If they're out there, it's being kept a secret.

RJ40

Adventurer
For a parking brake, one option is to order an axle with electric trailer brakes with a manual parking brake option. Dexter Axle offers this on their 10" electric trailer brakes and you should be able to order them as an option if you opt for an axle from ABC Trailer or Redneck Trailer Supply.

See page 2 of below:
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/6-8k_cat_4-07/10_in._Brakes.pdf

Anybody ever use one of these on their trailer? I'd love to see how the parking brake was set up....:drool:

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior