What are my Rack Options? Large RTT with Can Storage?

car-car

Observer
I have an 80 series Land Cruiser, and I am curious of what my roof rack options are? Ideally, I would like to mount a large RTT (comtemplating an Eezi-Awn 2200 to accommodate the family) and still have room for water/gas cans. Is this doable? Has anyone done anything like this with the 2200 and water/gas can storage up top over an 80 series?

Thanks.

kai38

Explorer
I have an 80 series Land Cruiser, and I am curious of what my roof rack options are? Ideally, I would like to mount a large RTT (comtemplating an Eezi-Awn 2200 to accommodate the family) and still have room for water/gas cans. Is this doable? Has anyone done anything like this with the 2200 and water/gas can storage up top over an 80 series?

Thanks.
Check to see if Bajrack makes an exp rack that would fit the 80 series.

car-car

Observer
Looks like BajaRack does make a expedition style rack for the 60 / 80 series Land Cruisers. They sent me a spec sheet saying their LC EXP rack is 82" long x 48" wide in total, with the flat section being 58.25" long x 48" wide. It does have a basket up front to store water/fuel cans or other storage.

Now I just have to figure out what size tent I can fit on there.

Thanks.

bluedog

Adventurer
My large Camping Lab tent at 71" long and 2 gas cans mounted sidways does work on the Front Runner rack.

UPOverland2009012.jpg

B.

murrapatrol

I have a Prime Tech RTT, theeuropean version of the camping labs tent on Thule roof bars mounted to open over the rear of my Nissan Patrol. I have a roof box mounted forward on 2 more Thule bars. I use the canopy around the tent to use the rear of the Patrol with doors open as a utility room, etc.

A word of caution on this brand of roof tent: the weather proof cover is not very durable and it 'self- destructs' when subjected to highway speeds over 120kmH (80 MPH). I repaired mine with duck tape while I am waiting for a replacement. To minimise the risk of damage, I recommend covering it with a strong tarpaulin tied down over the cover, secured with the RTT straps and bungie cords. The tarp will take the buffeting from the wind and may suffer, but this should protect the RTT cover underneath from the effects of wind turbulence etc.

This is a bit of a hassle to install and remove when deploying the tent, but it will be worth it.

car-car

Observer
So, I may be out of options on a rack to accomodate a large RTT and water/fuel cans up top on my 80 series Land Cruiser. I ended up ordering a large Serengeti RTT from Camping Lab today, which has a closed footprint of 79" x 47" (opens to 79" x 94"). Due to the large size of the tent (which I thought was more important to comfortably accomodate the family and sacrifice can storage up top), I wouldn't have much extra space up top.

From my research on expedition racks from the major players, here are the approx. lengths for the 80 series:

African Outback: 85.5" L
Front Runner: 86" L
Baja Rack Expedition: 58.25" Lfor the flat; 82" L including basket up front
ARB: 87" L
Hannibal: 90.5" L

I went and measured the Scepter style water/gas cans I have and they measure between 18"/19" in length, plus the 79" tent, puts me at 97"/98" minimum. So, I will have to keep the cans in the cargo area of the cab for now, until I can find another aftermarket solution or fab something up.

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz