Hydroplaning KM2s

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I've owned the Cooper STTs in 33x12.50R15s on a Ranger and a Sport Trac, it was a good tire.

But I have not had any hydroplaning in my KM2s. Mine are 35x12.50R18s on an 06 F150, with 26k miles on them and 13/32" tread. Even in heavy thunderstorms and loads of standing water it hasn't been an issue. They worked great in snow and ice as well.

The STTs were on a different truck but I didn't have any complaints with them either. They were squirly on roads with a light snow layer, more so than the KM2s, but I would buy them again.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Keep us posted.
Interesting development.

I took the Jeep in for cam bolts to improve the castor angle after its lift. I had noticed a loose bolt on the rear swaybar link, so I asked them torque everything ---- if you've seen my "I have cancer thread", you'll understand why I can't get on the ground at the moment and tighten things...
They found that the trackbar mount bolt had sheared off in a sneaky way on the inside; the head was still there, still looked tight, but wasn't holding it in place at all.
In fact, that area had been inspected by them and Ed Voyles Jeep 3 times; It had been like that for about 11,000 miles.

So when the KM2s (or the MTRs and Coopers, for that matter) would get a little slide going, the potential was there for a slingshot effect from the loose trackbar.
The tires had a bit of a raw deal.

Verdict: judge declares this one a mistrial. Case dismissed.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Well that makes tons of sense Bill, a loose track bar can certainly cause some 'interesting' handling issues :sombrero:

Good work figuring this out.

Interesting development.

snip.........

They found that the trackbar mount bolt had sheared off in a sneaky way on the inside; the head was still there, still looked tight, but wasn't holding it in place at all.

snip....

So when the KM2s (or the MTRs and Coopers, for that matter) would get a little slide going, the potential was there for a slingshot effect from the loose trackbar.
The tires had a bit of a raw deal.

Verdict: judge declares this one a mistrial. Case dismissed.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Bill

Glad you got the trackbar sorted out. Keep us posted on how the KM2 perform in wet conditions from this point forward.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Keep us posted on how the KM2 perform in wet conditions from this point forward.
I can let you know how the Coopers do from this point forward...

040.jpg

bronconut

Observer
So we can just write it off as one of those Jeep things:) You'll like the Coopers we sell lots of them for the oil field trucks and they do great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94