C5500 TopKick 4x4 Crew Cab Build

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Unless I missed it your not installing air conditioning, is that correct? Those of us who live in the south east USA (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi) pretty much consider A/C mandatory. I know where you live it usually does not get as hot or humid as it does for us. I really like your idea of barely using the generator, mostly relying on the solar to keep your house batteries charged. I'm not sure that we could do that here in the south east. The energy draw of even a single A/C unit would probably require so much battery bank (To run all night) that it would be impracticable, and so many square inches of solar panels it would not be possible because you would need more sq/in than the total of your roof. I do remember seeing a link in a thread recently, (Might have been this one) where somebody was asking about a unit intended for RV use that is roof mounted and looks similar to a "Normal" RV A/C unit but is actually an evaporation or "Swamp cooler". They use far less electricity than a compressor driven "Normal" A/C system but with the high humidity in our region, they are all but useless for decreasing the air temperature so where we really need it, they are not a viable option.

Another quick comment on the A/C. If I had expected to spend much time South (including international destinations) or East, I would've gone with a 12 or 24V DC unit and it would've been a bigger priority in the design. There are a number of product offerings in the 5,000 to 7,000 btu range that would get the job done with a decent battery bank. I also did some testing last summer with a couple of the "Swampy" 12VDC evaporative coolers. They did fine in Utah's climate in a small space. I never tested the larger rooftop evaporative products because of the "splash factor". If we end up in a situation where we need to run A/C all night, my electrical system has an automatic generator start (the inverter/charger, charge controller, battery monitors, and control panel all communicate using the "Xanbus" protocol), so if we're not plugged into shore power and the batteries are down to where the inverter can't support the loads, the generator will kick on automagically.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
So everybody probably thinks I dropped off the planet- to the contrary, I think I've logged enough air miles to have circled it a few times in the past two months. I just realized how much time has passed since I've provided a progress report. This post is being written from 40,000 feet and about the only time I seem to have these days for checking EP. My cousin and master-craftsmen, Gerard, has continued work on the rig full time, however. He has done an amazing job at going after every little detail. I am very happy with the results. The interior has really turned out great. We still have some work to do on configuring the insides of the cabinets and drawers, and it's finally time to install the speakers and other AV components. I've also decided to install a Wilson SoHo cellular enhancement setup, so if any of you have experience with their gear or have recommendations on alternatives, especially antennas, let me know.

The exterior has a few more details to finish up as well. I've decided to install an alumnum rub rail on each side above the cargo doors, which will also have a drip rail on the lower edge. Over the past six weeks we've experienced some very heavy rainstorms combined with harsh winds, which served as a good test of all the seals and gaskets. The only trouble was with the small "side" slides, because I had forgotten to install the outer wipe seals. Once those got installed, no leaks. I've also got to get the solar panels re-installed, but that will take less than an hour. And I still need to fab up a railing system for the roof "deck", as well and the steps for the rear and side doors.

I can't wait for my schedule to settle down enough to do a shake-down trip! And I promise to do an inside shoot next week when I get back.

96coachmen

Absolute the best detailed thread I have ever read. I can't wait to see this rig finished. Your thread is the reason I joined this forum.

axehead

Wow. This is an amazing build. I have sat and read the whole thing over 2 evenings.

Just one comment on this solution:

I ordered a box of 20 and we buggered several of them already. So, I came up with this:

unused-M.jpg

5 actual sealed bearing assemblies (only 4 are visible in the shot above), recessed and mounted on stainless axles. It gave me the clearance needed, as well as much greater piece of mind.

unused-M.jpg

May I humbly suggest that if you ever have problems with your bearing on a stick solution, that you could investigate the use of industrial load skates like these:

P60725.jpg

Pacific-Load-Skates.jpg

The bearings are linked together like tank tracks and are perfect for sliding a heavy object over a relatively flat surface. An analogy would be the way the Egyptians used logs to roll heavy blocks of stone.

This is the supplier I am familiar with, but I am sure you could find them locally: pacific load skate

NeverEnough

Adventurer
May I humbly suggest that if you ever have problems with your bearing on a stick solution......

Now that made me laugh, and I needed a laugh! I checked into the skates early on, but had some dimensional restrictions that ruled them out. Most of the bearings in the rig come from Pacific, BTW. Only time will tell how the "bearings on a stick" do the job- crossing my fingers.

Yeah, I know I haven't posted any new pics and have broken my promise. Sadly, this another post from 38,000 feet and we're on decent. But I'm actually hoping to take the rig out for a test over-nighter with the boys this weekend. It really looks great inside- even the cushions fit.

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
OK first off, you have earned my design and fabrication admiration. I have never actually said that, so realize that it is truely genuine. If you knew me it might mean more, but you don't so just know that it is about as high a compliment as I have for another individual given that I make my living on those very principles that I am currently admiring. Second off, Bravo. You had an idea, and took to it with a complete disregard for cost, time investment, or economy of any sort and stuck with it for what must seem an eternity endlessly pursuing a vision unique to your own wants and needs. Also quite admirable. Addtionally, you have created something unobtainable by others lacking aforementioned traits and boldness. Plainly put you are a ************ and one day, I hope to cross paths with you, at which time I will stop whatever it is that I am currently doing, pull up a chair, and proceed to pick your brain for as long as you can stand the conversation.

NeverEnough

Adventurer
OK first off, you have earned my design and fabrication admiration. I have never actually said that, so realize that it is truely genuine. If you knew me it might mean more, but you don't so just know that it is about as high a compliment as I have for another individual given that I make my living on those very principles that I am currently admiring. Second off, Bravo. You had an idea, and took to it with a complete disregard for cost, time investment, or economy of any sort and stuck with it for what must seem an eternity endlessly pursuing a vision unique to your own wants and needs. Also quite admirable. Addtionally, you have created something unobtainable by others lacking aforementioned traits and boldness. Plainly put you are a ************ and one day, I hope to cross paths with you, at which time I will stop whatever it is that I am currently doing, pull up a chair, and proceed to pick your brain for as long as you can stand the conversation.

Thank you very much. I don't deserve it, but it's always nice to see an effort appreciated. And any picking of my brain would be just result in an air leak.

I snapped a few quick shots of the inside last week. Work and family have pushed other priorities, so the rig is still parked. A couple of shots from the back of the "great room" in camp mode looking forward to the galley/dining:

CA06201221394930-M.jpg

CA06201221400102-M.jpg

From the galley looking toward the rear of the rig with side-slides deployed (notice the speaker wires hanging, sorry, need to get those mounted):

CA06201221374820-M.jpg

A shot of the passenger-side sofa deployed in sleeping position:

CA06201221370100-M.jpg

And then there's the joys of simple camping off the bikes. My second oldest just graduated from high school so we did a quick 360-mile enduro loop through the mountains and SRS desert of central Utah to celebrate. Way more fun than spending the weekend installing speakers!

CA06201222143565-M.jpg

CA06201222224800-M.jpg

CA06201222181905-M.jpg

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
...(notice the speaker wires hanging, sorry, need to get those mounted)...

How dare you post pics of such shoddy workmanship here on ExPo! We expect nothing less than perfection and will not tolerate this in the future.

Looks absolutely fantastic. Been loving seeing the updates as they come in.

Highlight this if offended- *Commentary on workmanship in jest. For those without a sense of humor or mock sarcasm!*

sarconcepts

Adventurer
The interior looks great, warm & inviting, but not too 'fuzzy' or sterile. (it's easy to go either way)
A warm interior always compliments the 'machine' rugged good looks of the outside
it's nice when it takes on its own personality, not just the one you've given it in your head all this time.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles