Overland Expo West 2016: The Mobile Abodes

Overland Expo West: Day 3

Overland Expo West 2016: Day 1

Hema Explorer Released for North America

Turtleback Trailers – A Comprehensive Review

Home On The Road: Life in the So-Cal Teardrop

Thread: C5500 TopKick 4x4 Crew Cab Build

Thanks, and yes, Colorado has been very nice so far.

I think your box was fairly complex with your slides etc. I should think a more simple box might be a bit less stress. I do not know though.

Did you have to do anything to support cabinets etch. I have been pondering building a box out of sandwich panels, but I wonder how well they would hold up, and how one would mount to it without having to punch all the way through to the outside to get support.
    "Do you know what a soldier is, young man? He's the chap who makes it possible for civilized folk to despise war." -Allan Massie

My panels used a composite, random strand skin with a thermally-fused polyester veil. The veil allowed us to use fiberglass lay-up for butt joints, which is how all of the cabinet shells and internal walls were made. The joints are very strong and almost invisible. Laminate was then glued over the skins. They've withstood enough road testing at this point to validate the technique. There are a few situations where a mechanical fastener was required, such as adjustable shelve within cabinets, or the marine catches for the cabinets. In those cases, we glued 1/16" aluminum strips to the skin, which was enough for a screw to get a good bite, and it works with the aluminum trim and highlights used throughout the interior.

Just found this thread... Amazing work! Well done.
    http://totalcomposites.com/ your supplier for European designed fiberglass sandwich panels and accessories.
    https://www.facebook.com/totalcompos...homepage_panel

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian View Post
    Just found this thread... Amazing work! Well done.
    I've been following Total Composites, wished you would've been around when I did the build! Next time...... (not too far off, actually)

NeverEnough, are you hinting? :-)

DirtTrackTravelers.com
    LowTech's
    `70 E300 4x2
    `72 M35A2 6x6 - lil Draggin', w/ 4 ton bolster trailer and radio box shelter
    `92 E350 metro bus converted to live-in rig

My Live-in Rig Builds
    Dirt Track Travels

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    I've been following Total Composites, wished you would've been around when I did the build! Next time...... (not too far off, actually)
    Woah wait... a new build soon??
    2000 Jeep XJ Classic 4.0L
    2005 Jeep WK LTD 5.7L
    1992 CDN M101 1/4 Ton ExPo Trailer
    2014 Black Rock 17B 23' Travel Trailer
    VE7RXJ
    ____=__=
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Just did another 5 day trip, including 40 miles of fairly technical 4WD tracks in Cathedral Valley, north end of Capitol Reef in Utah, and another 200 miles of muddy dirt roads. And while I appreciate something new about my rig every time I go out, I also become aware of many things that could be improved. Because of that, I've worked up several new camper designs in the past few years, and have spent a lot of time exploring chassis options. It's challenging to come up with an overlanding solution that gets the job done right- so many miles on paved roads, but so very important to have strong capabilities for those few, challenging miles off the beaten path. I love the size of my rig when I stop for the night, but it's beast of a vehicle both on and off the highway.

This last outing reinforced that concept. I've been targeting a shorter wheelbase for the next round, but I must admit that having a longer wheelbase made getting through most of last week's obstacles (deep washes with running water and snow drifts) easier- even though I had to make a 7 point turn on a snow-drifted switchback with 400 ft of air below!

So my next build is still just lines of code, but whatever I end up with, it will definitely get muddy!

Well I suspect that should you choose to sell this beauty that there will be no short line of folks who would love to own it as it. I personally see one of the comprises of your truck as being that I would not go on too difficult of a road. But I see that as OK, and well worth the interior creature comforts.

Yeah, love your rig. If you build again please put the link in here so we can find your next go!
    "Do you know what a soldier is, young man? He's the chap who makes it possible for civilized folk to despise war." -Allan Massie

No matter how well planned or executed a design is, there is always room for improvements or tweaks. I am constantly finding things to improve upon in all facets of life. Home, work, the Datacenters I manage, my Jeeps, my trailers etc.

It sure keeps things interesting!

Love this beast.
    2000 Jeep XJ Classic 4.0L
    2005 Jeep WK LTD 5.7L
    1992 CDN M101 1/4 Ton ExPo Trailer
    2014 Black Rock 17B 23' Travel Trailer
    VE7RXJ
    ____=__=
    l l ,[_____],
    l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
    the Datacenters I manage,
    Hey, I have one of those.... That build was as much fun as my expo rig, maybe more!

My son an his buddy, both rapidly becoming talented nature photographers and videographers, already up since pre-dawn capturing the early light on Temple of the Sun and Temple of the Moon. My jobs are driver, key grip and gaffer! With a wide enough lens and proper angle, the truck doesn't look nearly as intimidating!

Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast