Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566

Thread: C5500 TopKick 4x4 Crew Cab Build

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeed View Post
    How are you liking the 395/85/20 XZL's? How many miles do you have on them. I have a 4x4 international as well looking for tire opinions!
    So far, so good, with about 3500 miles on them. They're quieter than I thought they'd be on the pavement, and they've been great off-road. Mine are on Hutchinson wheels, which required some minor machining and spacers for the rear to deal with the offset issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    Headed south with the family this past week. Late departure, all lit up before rolling out:

We camped in the Grand Staircase, off Cottonwood Road that connects UT12 to Big Water/Kanab on 89. First stop was Grosvenor Arch.

Unhooking the trailer in order to pull forward for slide out deployment. In usual fashion, we setup a central basecamp, then buzzed around on the dirt bikes for day trips. Amazingly warm and dry- too dry. We were walking down slot canyons that are normally flowing this time of year without getting our feet wet.

I continue to be impressed with the off-road capabilities of the 7400. My only complaint so far is wind noise from the forward doors at highway speeds. We drove home in a stiff headwind and it's became obvious that I've got adjust the hinges on the forward doors to get a better seal. Unfortunately, I'm clueless about how to go about it, so unless someone on the forum has some experience with these doors, it'll probably be a trial and error ordeal.

Your rig is SICK. My first build (which was recent) is this: http://www.hautgroup.com/landroamer/

My second build will be a ground up build like yours. Well done.

Derrick

Extremely impressive build. Thank you for all the incredible information you've shared throughout your build. I've been sitting here reading and taking notes as if studying for a college exam. I have been leaning towards a honeycomb based wall similar to your design. My design differs slightly with an aluminum exo frame and slightly different insulation and interior paneling. I was looking at Nida-Core prior to seeing what you have used. I believe your core thickness was 1.75". Is that correct? Did you have that thickness custom made? I do not see it on their site?
    If you have time, I have a few more questions for you.
    How high is your "basement" from frame to floor?
    What is the interior height of you overcab when not deployed?
    I'm unclear how you spliced two panels together? Did you hollow one out, remove face material from another and insert?
    With the overcab area, how is this supported or reenforced to hang over the cab and support weight?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoChicken View Post
    Extremely impressive build. Thank you for all the incredible information you've shared throughout your build. I've been sitting here reading and taking notes as if studying for a college exam. I have been leaning towards a honeycomb based wall similar to your design. My design differs slightly with an aluminum exo frame and slightly different insulation and interior paneling. I was looking at Nida-Core prior to seeing what you have used. I believe your core thickness was 1.75". Is that correct? Did you have that thickness custom made? I do not see it on their site?
    If you have time, I have a few more questions for you.
    How high is your "basement" from frame to floor?
    What is the interior height of you overcab when not deployed?
    I'm unclear how you spliced two panels together? Did you hollow one out, remove face material from another and insert?
    With the overcab area, how is this supported or reenforced to hang over the cab and support weight?
    Thanks.
    Thanks. Good questions.

My panels were made to my specifications, including the skins, and I sourced mine from Plascore. They are very good at what they do. I took a while to get the skin material manufactured from their supplier, however. The primary walls are 1.75", but I purchased a lot of 1", .75", and .5" material for interior components, doors, and cabinets. I also ordered "spline" panels of 1.65", because the skins are .05".

The most difficult part of fabricating was joining the panels, which required a creating a special routing jig to remove core material very precisely to a depth of 3". It was slow, messy work. 6" spline pieces were inserted using SABA Sealtack PP adhesive to join the panels together. While it worked structurally, the joints are quite visible, at least to me. At the time of my build, 50" was the maximum width available from any supplier. That might have changed, and there are several players in Europe and China that can fuse 108" wide panels.

The basement has 23" of interior height, 25" from frame to underside of floor (1.75" panel, .25" pultrusions wrapped on corners). The basement wraps the chassis rails, with 8" of pass through in the rear and 10" forward. There are seven "pass through" sections, with 3 housing fresh water tanks, one for black water, and one for grey.

The exterior height dimension of the cabover if 44". The cabover was assembled as a separate component, including panel sections that extend 5' into the main body to support the cantilever. The assembly was inserted into the main body, then bonded and mechanically fastened into place. It cost me 4.5" of interior width forward of the galley, but it's not missed. I'm very pleased with the results. It's been bomber and can support 1000lbs of people/cargo without measurable deflection.

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566