Solo travelers - how little can you travel with and for how long?

CSG

Explorer
As I keep looking at my LX470 as a camping rig I have, so far, reverted to using my camping van instead, especially when I go with my boys.

The thing is, I can't really take the van off road and don't want to spend the money to make it a 4x4. I've got a great off road rig in the Cruiser but you don't have the creature comforts of a camping van. For a night or two it's fine but I'm thinking of a longer trip back to Utah this fall and would like to take the Cruiser. I'll probably get a small fridge and sleep in the rig. I figure to use a duffel bag for clothes and my Rubber Maid 24G Action Packer for food and misc. Also have a day pack with hiking stuff, a camp chair, and collapsible toilet.

Seems to me like that's more than enough gear but I wonder?

How do you solo travelers roll for trips of a week+ where you will be in different spots each day?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
One thing to remember is you really don't need much more to go for a week than overnight. If you can resupply along the way the difference is negligible.

I use mostly backpacking equipment when I solo camp with the FJ40. Having a vehicle allows for luxuries like folding chairs, a full size stove / cook wear and 5 gallons of water. Other than that it's pretty much like a backpacking trip for me.

I've heard a fridge totally changes your world, maybe someday I'll find out.

CSG

Explorer
Kind of the way I figured, Rusty. I once went 6 weeks with a backpack, little cooler, and a few odds and ends when I was about 30 and owned a small pickup with a shell and carpet kit.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Think of it this way if you have a fully kitted rig:

Fridge
Tent / RTT
Water Source (Jerry Cans or other)
Storage for food/clothing
Chairs
Awning
Cooking stuff
Etc

Going from an overnight to a week long trip just means increasing the quantity of food, clothing and water. The size of your fridge doesnt change, none of your hard goods change. Just the water and clothing amount. Add another jerrycan and maybe a small duffel bag. The difference is really minor.

I found that the total additional gear for me and my girl plus one dog on going from an overnight to a totally self sufficient 3day trip changed by less than 50lbs. Of which 30+lbs were water. The increase on volume was negligible, it consisted of more shoes for her, more makeup for her, more chocolate for her, more hair care stuff for her, more wine for her, a change of socks and boxers for me.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
One thing that cuts down the amount of clothes is multi use items. I have a Colombia three way coat, it serves as a coat, sweater, and wind shell.
I also like the pants that convert to shorts. One pair I have is light weight and the shorts serve for swimming. I sleep in poly-prop underwear that I can also use to layer up if the weather turns cold.

When I backpacked I established that three pair of socks were the minimum I could get by with, one on my feet, one ready to wear, and one drying. The same logic applies to underwear.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
As I keep looking at my LX470 as a camping rig I have, so far, reverted to using my camping van instead, especially when I go with my boys.

The thing is, I can't really take the van off road and don't want to spend the money to make it a 4x4. I've got a great off road rig in the Cruiser but you don't have the creature comforts of a camping van. For a night or two it's fine but I'm thinking of a longer trip back to Utah this fall and would like to take the Cruiser. I'll probably get a small fridge and sleep in the rig. I figure to use a duffel bag for clothes and my Rubber Maid 24G Action Packer for food and misc. Also have a day pack with hiking stuff, a camp chair, and collapsible toilet.

Seems to me like that's more than enough gear but I wonder?

How do you solo travelers roll for trips of a week+ where you will be in different spots each day?

No problem at all for a week solo.

Attachments

• Mt Lemmon.JPG
    Mt Lemmon.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 107
  • rear 100.JPG
    rear 100.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 99

CSG

Explorer
Rusty, that's a *very* nice set-up and pretty much exactly what I had in mind (other than the RTT; I'd get a Maggiolina).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles