Jerry Can for Water

Awkragt

Adventurer
So I’m getting an OR Fab Tire/Can carrier. I don’t really need 10 gal of gas most of the time, 5 gal gas 5 gal water would do it.
I’m thinking of getting a new Blitz Jerry can, repainting it and putting a tap on the bottom so you can just open the tap and get some water out without having to remove the whole jerry can. Would I have to do anything to the can to make it safe for potable water? If it’s just a metal can it might rust too so I’d need an inner coating?

ThomD

Explorer
So I’m getting an OR Fab Tire/Can carrier. I don’t really need 10 gal of gas most of the time, 5 gal gas 5 gal water would do it.
I’m thinking of getting a new Blitz Jerry can, repainting it and putting a tap on the bottom so you can just open the tap and get some water out without having to remove the whole jerry can. Would I have to do anything to the can to make it safe for potable water? If it’s just a metal can it might rust too so I’d need an inner coating?

Why not just buy a new $20 plastic water can? There is thread around here about adding a screw in spout to the existing cap so that you don't permenently alter the water can.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
433_0.JPG

They have water specific jerry cans you can use

WoldD90

Adventurer
The water canisters have a food grade liner to protect you and the liquid. If you like the metal cans, get one of the blue Nato style.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
450dude had a plastic can fitted with a standard water faucet, the kind on the side of your house. He carried the water jug (plastic) such that you could access the faucet while the jug was in the carrier. It was sweet for a quick hand wash on the trail.

I think all he did was drill a hole and use a couple os rubber washers with a backing washer/nut to seal the faucet.

Edit: come to think of it lowcrawln did the same thing IIRC

Errant

Explorer
Oh I didn't think about that! Looks like I'll stick to my trusty Reliance 7 gallon for now.

I have one of those, very disappointing in the operation of the faucet itself, very hard to turn on/off due to stiffness and small grip area.
its built very well but very frustrating to work especially on cold weather outings.
I'm about to change it to a gate valve or just send it back to Paul.

YJake

Adventurer
450dude had a plastic can fitted with a standard water faucet, the kind on the side of your house. He carried the water jug (plastic) such that you could access the faucet while the jug was in the carrier. It was sweet for a quick hand wash on the trail.

I think that I've seen pics of that set-up and like the idea a lot. I may have to rig one of those up for the same purpose. :coffeedrink:

Jake :tea:

car-car

Observer
For one of those, you can get three of these:

600409.jpg

$18.99 each here: http://buylci.com/ (Click on the "Shop Now" link top right, then search on water can).

IIRC, they had free shipping on orders $50 or more, so 3 cans would get you there. And the shipping was extremely fast. They are pretty good quality. I had read some good reviews on them before I got mine, and they lived up to the hype when we got ours.

Albin

Adventurer
IIRC, they had free shipping on orders $50 or more, so 3 cans would get you there. And the shipping was extremely fast. They are pretty good quality. I had read some good reviews on them before I got mine, and they lived up to the hype when we got ours.

Good point about the free shipping for +$50, I didn't know if that was still in effect, hence didn't mention it.

Everything I've heard about both LCI and their MWCs has been positive or better than positive. And I read a lot of water container threads on several different types of forums.

Good luck.

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior