Thread: Broken spark plug removal?

jeffryscott is offline 2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy

Default Broken spark plug removal?

So, went to change a spark plug on an 89 Volvo 245 (my "new" expedition vehicle light, but not replacing the 4Runner) and the plug in #1 broke clean off, leaving only the threads in the head. Nothing outside to grip onto ... a bit of a problem.

Suggestions on removing would be most appreciated ...

Thanks,

Jeff
    2002 Isuzu Trooper. OME suspension, Michelin LTX AT 265/75/16, ARB 47l fridge. A few of my photos here: http://jeffryscott.com/

goodtimes is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Poseur
    That sucks.

The only way I know of to fix that involves pulling the head.
    "Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured" ~someone

Is it really just the threads left in the head? If the center is open you could try tapping an "easy out" in there and see if that will extract it for ya.
    Brad

My Photo Gallery

2004 4Runner - 2011 Kimberley Karavan

Quote Originally Posted by Tucson T4R View Post
    Is it really just the threads left in the head? If the center is open you could try tapping an "easy out" in there and see if that will extract it for ya.
    The center is open, some bits of ceramic left. Over on the Volvo board a few have mentioned PB blaster, heat, more PB blaster, more heat and an EZ out or large screwdriver to get it moving ...

If I can break the bond that froze the bits together, there is hope. I really don't want to pull the head on a $400 car.

We need a Tucson get together too.
    2002 Isuzu Trooper. OME suspension, Michelin LTX AT 265/75/16, ARB 47l fridge. A few of my photos here: http://jeffryscott.com/

goodtimes is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Poseur
    If the center is open, you might have a chance. Be careful though, all those little bits of ceramic that are left are just waiting for a chance to break off and fall into the combustion chamber.

If you try a big easy-out (I might have one big enough to try), smear a bunch of grease on it so any pieces of ceramic that break off will be trapped in the grease, not falling into the combustion chamber.
    "Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured" ~someone

PB blaster/heat cycle followed by an easy-out or large flathead screwdriver.
    2004 Jeep Wrangler X
    2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Quote Originally Posted by jeffryscott View Post
    The center is open, some bits of ceramic left. Over on the Volvo board a few have mentioned PB blaster, heat, more PB blaster, more heat and an EZ out or large screwdriver to get it moving ...

If I can break the bond that froze the bits together, there is hope. I really don't want to pull the head on a $400 car.

We need a Tucson get together too.
    Sounds like consensus on the approach. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

And yes, we do need a Tucson get together. Or maybe another local camping run to share a fire again.
    Brad

My Photo Gallery

2004 4Runner - 2011 Kimberley Karavan

This is a common problem on Ford's 5.4 motors. Snap-on and Matco sells a special kit that allows for removal of the broken plug. I think a cheaper alternative to the above companies might be a kit made by k-d tools. It s been several years since I looked for one but I m sure its still out there.

good luck

Default Fixed

Sadly, or I should say embarrassingly, it was easy. I was getting a good grip with the ezout, but couldn't get it to move. Today, I figured how to grip it with a ratchet (using a bolt extracting socket)and it came right out. Reminds me to start simple, instead of making it complicated.

Thanks for the help and advice, now let's find time for a beer.