Foxwing wind/rain/freestanding ?

jfarsang

Adventurer
Hopefully you guys who have been using them can shed some light.

Can it be deployed in a parkinglot for example without the support lines ? ie. freestanding.

If so, how would it be in the wind ?

Any of you use it in a nice rain shower yet ? How was it for draining ?

All in all, how does it stand up in windy conditions ?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The Foxwing can be deployed without lines in no-wind conditions. It can, kind of, even be deployed without poles for brief windless periods, but it looks pretty lame, all droopy and floppy. I've done it, though, for brief, quick shelter. In a rainstorm, it's nice to have something you can deploy very quickly so can go about setting up camp, etc., out of the rain.

I don't believe I'd go without the lines if there was any chance of the wind lifting the awning off of the top of the poles. Once the awning is unsupported, it is very susceptible to damage. And figure that you will need two people in anything over a very light breeze. The Foxwing is a lot like a kite in that it's ready to fly off if the wind gets under it. And if the wind does get under it and lift it, you're almost certain to have damage to the awning and possibly the vehicle.

I haven't had mine in a really hard rain, but in good steady rains, it works fine. I expect, guyed out, that it would do as well as any in heavy rains.

It's a fantastic awning, spectacular in its coverage and actually quite easy to deploy and store. But you need to have a buddy holding it down to deploy it in the wind. Violate that rule at your own risk.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I had one thought a thunderstorm on a recent camping trip.
I would tie it down. They have a kit for the unit for those using it in area that are not able to be used to stake it (sand bag option).

In a rainstorm, you simply adjust the (adjustable) poles down so there is plenty of slope on the awning.

If I had one complaint, it is that ours is mounted as an extension on our roof top tent on the trailer.
I had a window flap draped over the top of the rear of the awning to keep rain from running down between the tent and the rear of the awning. Next time, I will pull that flap taunt, as it filled with water and eventually to the point that it drenched me while I tried to shed the water that built up in the trough.

Other than that ... it is a fantastic unit and I have nothing but praise for it.

Dendy

jfarsang

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses guys.

Just trying to justify the cost of a pair of ARB 8ft awnings/mosquito netting for the price of one foxwing.

I wish I could have a hands on with a foxwing. That would seal the deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior