Need a new muffler, suggestions??

KG6BWS

Explorer
Ive got an 04 Taco, 3.4L.

Im getting tired of the noise of my flowmaster muffler and want something quieter. Only reason I even installed it was to piss of my ex, who left it in my garage.

I dont want to go back to a stock muffler unless I just cant find anything else. That land anchor of a muffler had quite a few dents in it when I removed it so I would like to stay with a smaller one if possible.

Any suggestions for a small, quiet, aftermarket muffler??

I dont need a full exhaust system, just the muffler. I can put the rest of it together myself.

Second question while Im on the subject. using a heat shield (probably an aluminum sheet) what would be a safe separation distance from the exhaust to a gas tank?? I had an idea for an auxiliary gas tank.

Use a stock 18 gallon tank, mounted where the muffler is now, get one of the Land Cruiser dual-inlet style filler necks and run it over the top of the stock tank. It would keep the weight very well balanced having the tanks side by side on opposite sides of the truck. Second would be to hook them up so that the engine draws gas from both tanks at the same time. That would keep the weight very evenly balanced from side to side.

tommudd

Explorer
I ran the Flowmaster for 100,000 miles until I got tired of the droning at highway speeds
Went with a Magnaflow this time, has some sound to it when getting on it, but on the highway nice tone but no droning sound
Wish I would of done it sooner

01tundra

Explorer
I'm running a 18" S.S. HP@ Hushpower muffler and love it. I'm surprised that something so small sounds good and it not annoying. I had a Flowmaster 40-series prior to the Hushpower and it was annoying.

Not sure if you would get the same results, but I'm really happy with it and it tucks up nicely out of harms way.

http://www.hushpower.com/products/53/Mufflers.html

P5190004.jpg

Geronimo

Observer
Second vote for the MagnaFlow, nice mild rumble at idle and on acceleration, Quiet at hwy speed.

Used them on V8's, V6's, and I6's, all sounded great

KG6BWS

Explorer
Cool. Thanks guys. Ill check them both out.

Yeah Ive got the Flowmaster 40 on mine too and Im just getting tired of the noise at highway speeds. Its not bad around town but when im on the gas it gets annoying. Especially when I have someone with me cuz its hard to even talk.

CYi5

Explorer
I saw a picture awhile back of a toyota truck with OEM tanks on both sides...may have been a T-100. I'm having trouble finding it now, but i'll keep looking later. I forgot to look for what they did with their exhaust.

KG6BWS

Explorer
I saw a picture awhile back of a toyota truck with OEM tanks on both sides...may have been a T-100. I'm having trouble finding it now, but i'll keep looking later. I forgot to look for what they did with their exhaust.

Thats exactly what I want to do. My idea is to cut the exhaust up and weld back together, condensing everything as tightly as possible, then running the tailpipe back past the tank. Im just curious what would be considered a safe separation using heatshields.

chasespeed

Explorer
1st, I second the mangaflow. A LOT of various styles from them to make fitment easier. And, I love the sound.....nice and mellow while cruising, but not obtrusive...

Second, is the tank a polymer or is it steel? That will make a lot of difference.

If its steel, I would say you could pretty darn close w/o it becoming an issue.

The first reason, is, that part of the exhaust, is DOWNSTREAM of the muffler(at least, I believe that's what you are saying), so, the main restriction, and heat buildup, will be ahead of that.

Second, I have seen a few more than a few factory pipes run pretty close to tanks..... in fact, in my camaro, the muffler was RIGHT by the tank....

I wouldnt have it TOUCH, but, if you're gonna do a heat shield, I would say...3-4 inches... if you find that tank(or anything in that area is getting TOO warm for your comfort, you could always treat the tailpipe, then wrap it with a header wrap, and seal the wrap with a silicone dye.

Just a thought....

Chase

michaelross

I used to have the flowmaster on my truck. But later on I got a bit tired of the sound. I decided to take on a new one. And that was the magnaflow. And I have never regretted the change.

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I can't think of a sweeter sound than a Toyota V6 exhausting through a Borla...

Not offensively loud but has a nice little rumble just off idle.

97tjguzzy

Explorer
not sure of the difference between a jeep 4.0 and the yota motor, but I have the hushpower as well and it is throaty but very quiet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles