BLT Offroad KLR

Cabrito

I come in Peace
My next priority is new tires. I have been watching the SuperBrace. The design may clear the fender better. I'm not quite ready for one just yet though.

on the brace: if you don't feel like you need one why bother? For me it was a quest to get the front end to settle down in the cross winds.

Still looking for tires eh? I'm totally used to the knobbies I have on it right now. I've almost forgotten that they are even off road tires. They only time they trip me out is on wet pavement and grooved highway, but I'm used to the squirmy feeling now and just keep it below 70mph on the grooved stuff.
I just received my Avon Gripsters and plan to install them this weekend time permitting. I'm now looking for a second set of wheels to put the knobbies on.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I hear quite a few runnning Gripsters. I REALLY want to try the Shinko 700. The tread design looks good for what I do and my terrain. No one has the rear in stock yet though.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I hear quite a few runnning Gripsters. I REALLY want to try the Shinko 700. The tread design looks good for what I do and my terrain. No one has the rear in stock yet though.

Those look like a decent tire. Cheap as heck, but they get great reviews.
Have you checked MC Superstore? They have some in stock, but the sizing on them is the kind I don't understand.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...Series-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx?sst=RR|15048

I had gripsters on my last two KLR's and loved them.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Today was the day. Happy-Trails had the rear in stock. I picked up front,rear and two heavy duty tubes.
The Kendas took a bit to break loose. The front was not bad, but the rear did not want to go. I finally broke the bead and remove the tire. Good thing I am replacing the tires and tubes. The rear tube was terribly wadded up and pinched. Only a matter of time before it was a real problem. Thin tubes too. My bike has heavier tubes. Glad I am making the change for sure.
The new Shinko 700 rear has a pretty stiff case. It spooned on pretty well , but took three tries to seat one side of the bead. I did not over pressurize it. I'm a chicken so I don't exceed 40 psi.

All back together now. Dynabeads on-board. 2oz in the front and 3 oz in the rear.

I have done no more than roll it into its parking spot for the night. It feels smoother already. tomorrow I will get the chance to try them out.:bike_rider:

KG6BWS

Explorer
110 lbs???

That's a lot of weight gain for what was mostly a cosmetic upgrade, where are you getting this info?

Im wondering the same thing.

According to the Kawasaki specs:

2004 Dry weight (no fluids whatsoever) 370.4lbs
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_klr_650_2004.php

2010 Curb weight (all fluids topped off) 432lbs
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_klr_650_2010.php

Considering they give the specs for the 1st gen as a "Dry" weight, and specs for the 2nd gen as a "Curb" weight, I would guess that from the factory and ready to ride theres no more than a 20lb difference...if that.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
2002 KLR650 - KLR2

Eventually "L" will move to my KLR. The low seat and all the armor has been with that in mind. I have been keeping my eyes open for another, although it is not needed for a year or two. Last week I came across a deal too good to pass up.
klr22.JPG
klr23.JPG

2002 Kawasaki KLR650 5700 miles. A local friend owned it and treasured it.
Bikemaster AGM battery
Highway Pegs
Aluminum Skid
Master Cylinder guard
Progressive rear shock
Progressive fork springs
Exhaust mod with aluminum outlet
HID headlamp
Wolfman rack and Saddle bags
TMS trunk
Magellan Crossover GPS
Dash kit with clock
Avon Gripster tires
16 tooth front sprocket
Stainless steel brake lines
Digital temperature gauge
Afrika light switch with headlamp switch and push to cancel turn signals.
Moose 1" longer shift lever
"Doo-Dun"

klr21.jpg

All ready to go exploring!

sandalscout

Adventurer
Nice bike! I just picked up a 2001 with 14k miles on it, much closer to stock, but I'm really digging it.

I'd love to have push to cancel turn signals. I have that on my XT and hate the stock turn signal switch on the KLR in comparison.

Is your windshield stock? Looks a little taller than mine, but might be the angle of the picture.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Nice addition Henry.

Looks like it's pretty much ready to go. The add-on's that it came with are nice. (I just did my front end with Progressive springs this weekend)

Can you tell me more about the top case? I've been looking around for a Givi or similar for mine.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys! The windshield is stock. The dash makes it look a little taller in that picture. I have a tall windshield off my other bike. I did not like the buffeting it created.
The Afrika light switch is a nice addition. I have push to cancel on all my bikes. Hard to train an old dog new tricks , so I had to have it on this one. The switch is still available from KLR650.com as far as I know. That is where I purchased one for my other KLR.

My top case is a cheap ebay special. A friend bought it for his Versys and went to different bags. I bought it at his yard sale for $20. It is the same as the box I have on the other KLR too. That one has worked great for me the last two years. I think it was a JC Whitney special? Big enough for a spare helmet and just right for the daily commute stuff (lunch, gloves, jacket)

I really need to find an aftermarket seat for this one. The stock seat just doesn't fit me right. I haven't seen any "deals" out there yet.

Oh, I forgot to mention that this bike knows the way to Alaska. That was his trip last year. Expedition ready :)

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Close call:

292900_3160037214869_464869129_n.jpg
311625_3160037334872_1743731694_n.jpg
376734_3160037574878_720685194_n.jpg

No more Shinko for me. I read of some problems like this, but not for the 700 series. This separation went about 80% around the left side. Glad it did not fold up or tear apart at highway speed on the way home. It was hot enough I didn't want to hold a hand on it by the time I stopped. You could hear the bump and feel it a little. Very mushy in the turn.
I still had good tread, well above the wear indicator. These should have finished out the year.

On a quest for the next great tire. Until then I spooned back on the old Kenda that I took off. It should make the season for me while I research the next tire.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Close call:

No more Shinko for me. I read of some problems like this, but not for the 700 series. This separation went about 80% around the left side. Glad it did not fold up or tear apart at highway speed on the way home. It was hot enough I didn't want to hold a hand on it by the time I stopped. You could hear the bump and feel it a little. Very mushy in the turn.
I still had good tread, well above the wear indicator. These should have finished out the year.

On a quest for the next great tire. Until then I spooned back on the old Kenda that I took off. It should make the season for me while I research the next tire.

Which Shinko is that?

I had a similar problem with my 705 rear.

First I noticed this-
IMG_0138.jpg

Then I noticed this
IMG_0144.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Mine are the Shinko 700 series Dual sport tires.

0000_Shinko_700_Series_Dual_Sport_Front_Tire_--.jpg

I really liked them up until this point. They were on about a year and a half. No long trips. Occasional offroad use. Mostly weekend trips. Daily commuting was the majority of the miles. Probably 2000-2500 miles? I was hoping for 3500 miles or so the way the tread wear was going.

I had read a few reports of the 705 having problems, but nothing on the 700. Guess it may be the whole line that has issues. I won't be buying that brand again.

I have the Avon Gripsters on KLR2. I kind of like those. I may consider them on KLR1. Another tire might be under consideration. The Kenda K761 Dual Sport rear.
I have time and research before I make any decisions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier