Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FG fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by engineer View Post
    Hey Andrew,
    Thats pretty good considering I get about 4.5-5 klm/ltr from our with a fully loaded bus.
    Your at least 20% up on our economy!! Goo work mate, all the efforts with the truck paid off!!
    Chock
    Yer cheers mate, i spose i should probly add that i didnt have alot on board, all up would not be more than 4.5T, i think this, the 11.00R16s, and DPchip contributed to this fuel figure.

Just brought a FG down from Cairns to work. Did the first 734kms at 100 + kph and got 20.6 litre per 100kms (4.85 KPL). Then did the next 614 kms at around 85kph and got 13 litres per 100kms (7.7KPL). This has some bodywork over the front which aids with the aerodynamics some but probably not that much (see the pic below). It was on duals with 8.25R / 16's. 85 kph was at 2700rpm. I haven't calculated the last 300km's yet.

Oh BTW this was a FG637 . Maybe an '02 model. So no turbo and mainly had the original exhaust. It had a full bus body on it too so I guess it must be around 4 and a half ton give or take a couple of hundred kilo's.

Big difference at different speeds, huh? I've done the math 3 times now and get the same answer. It used quite a bit of oil on the first leg too and not a drop on the second. Must be a moral to the story somewhere.

Last edited by whatcharterboat; 08-03-2010 at 11:07 AM.

I use my 649 Dual cab pretty much like a normal work ute. As I tend to stay under 90kmh, mainly because it seems to most relaxed at this speed, my economy is constant at around 16Lt per 100ks. Not really cheap to run, but what other 4x4 ute can carry a 3.6 meter long load inside the tray! And you look down on landcruisers...

And you look down on landcruisers...
    yeah, its good aye- i love even more, looking down on drivers of jacked-up F250s, whos drivers' are always shocked to learn there are bigger things on the road than them...

They are on opposite ends of the scale....
    Our 6x4 l/cruisers (hdj79) don't use too much fuel on the highway at speed, but the fg649, OMG can they drink...., but on the low speed sections of Daintree, where we do around 60 km/hr the cruiser drinks and the little tractors (fg649) just sip.
    Does anyone know the diff ratios on a Canter????
    Criuser is about 4.1:1 i think,.....
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

We just got back from a 5200kms trip Brisbane to Tannum sands across to Bedourie via Diamantina River Road then down to Birdsville and then back over 4 weeks and averaged 17 lts per 100kms. Yes they do drink on the highway when you get the truck going.

Pete and Kel

Default fuel consumption

I have just finished an 8,225 km trip from Vancouver, british Columbia, to Lake Superior, Ontario, and over all mpg was 16.7 imp, 5.85 km/litre. The faster you go , the more you use is the theme for these un-aerodynamic trucks. Was approximately 10,500 lb's with single rear wheels in an fg140 2007, with alot of stopping. Average speed was 98 km/hour or 61 mph. Fastest speed was 122 km/hour. I would rather still be on the road too instead of back home and at work.
    Ill post in the comfort thread too because I used the Aons in the front with some National , air seats and found the ride still very harsh. Some bumps had me slamming my head on the roof. I need a suspension upgrade and shocks, any advice??
    Yves

Quote Originally Posted by westyss View Post
    over all mpg was 16.7 imp, 5.85 km/litre. Yves
    is the fuel mileage adjusted for the change in wheel size?

either way, do you think the 19.5" wheels affects your mileage?

When I had my swc installed, the fuel economy before at 80 to 85kph with the 16" wheels did not change when I had the 19.5" wheels installed- I am now travelling at 95 to 100kph.
    I have not done a long trip at 80kph since the 19.5's were installed
    Enjoy Life

Our FG is bloody thirsty!!!!!!!
    Here we are filling up at Birdsville QLD

Pete and Kel

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast