Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: FG fuel economy

so, 10,000lb's, is that truck rated for that?? My last trip, 6000+ miles, and I got 16.7 mpg imp. at an average speed of around 62 mph, the weight only affects hill climbs so its not really an issue other than thats why I bought the fuso, I could of continued to totally overload my westfalia and get 25 mpg I guess, so anyone else with some precise mpg numbers from some 3-5 ton available load trucks that are loaded to around 10,000 lb's? Starting to get really curios. Do these F550, topkicks etc get over 15 mpg?? And not some tank to tank mpg or the manufacturer's computer stats, real good calculations, I took my total km's for my trip using two gps's and devided by all the fuel I used for an 8,250 km trip. So far I think I am way better off with my fuso, besides I can pull into a camp spot late at night and no one hears me, try that with a cummins.

Quote Originally Posted by westyss View Post
    so, 10,000lb's, is that truck rated for that??
    No, 8800 lbs. I have air bags in the rear plus a fat anti rollbar. It's been a great truck and handles the Alaskan well, but we want to be on the road more and have a little more space and easier setup. Also the top half of the Alaskan has serious dry rot and needs to be rebuilt. Therefore I'm building 13.5' camper on the Fuso.

Default mpg

found a Car & Driver report on the topkick 4500, they stated book mpg's as 8 but they reported getting 9mpg. The ford f450 was showing the same but some people state huge numbers, like 18 city, 22 hwy I really doubt that. Following my bro inlaw while he was towing his fifth wheel in a f350 diesel he got abysmal mpg's, we filled up at the same place, and around the same amount and he was looking for a fill station while I was still around half tank. And he paid double for his truck. So what does it mean? Well I guess the mpg's for fuso are really a little above average, those other trucks have way more power but thats what costs, if you wanna tow huge loads or haul stuff at 70-80mph get a ford, if you want to cruise and smell the roses get a fuso.
    To each his own, and that is what every one is doing, setting up a rig for their own needs, and uses.

Default Bring thread back to life

On a 1350+ miles from Colorado to Northern California/Baja Oregon, I averaged 11.5 mpg overall on the trip. Mileage was 12.6 mpg when the terrain was general flat (although at higher elevations). Average overall speed was 54 mph. The highway speed range was from 50 mpg (about 20%), to 65 mph {GPS confirmed} (about 10%).
    But I had head winds most of the way and the truck has an 8-foot high ‘box’. So a frontal area 64.6 sq-ft. (body only, no undercarriage drag factor) with an estimated drag coefficient of 0.7 (Cd). Of course with this much drag, speed is the driving (pun intended) factor. At 50 mph it takes about 37.7 hp to overcome its aerodynamic drag, yet at 65 mph it takes 82.9 hp. So a 30% increase in speed takes 120% more hp (and related fuel). Truck weighed 8990 lbs.

My plans include lowering the height of the box by 18 inches (12 inch ‘chop’, 6” drop on frame), which will reduce the frontal area by 18%. Adding aerodynamic improvements with cab roof diverter, and box side diverters, which should improve drag coefficient by 22% to 30%. And driving slower, the real winner to save fuel and smell the roses.

D'oh I gave you its drag coefficent and then forgot to say what type vehicle- 2002 Fuso FG 50K miles (used by a little old lady to delivery furniture in a Colorado mountain town),
    Last edited by mog; 03-08-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Vehicle type added

Is that an FG or a Mog your driving?

That's the FG he 'stole' in Western Colorado Somewhere on here I posted pictures of an FG with a similar box converted to a camper inside that was for sale in Upstate NY about 4 years ago.

Is that an FG or a Mog your driving?
    D'oh sorry about that.
    A 2002 Fuso FG, as Kerry said, I stole last month from Colorado.

Here is a photoshopped picture of it when it has had the roof lowered 12 inches, and is lowered 6 inches on the frame.
    (I wish the real work could be done that quick/easy).

Do you have a Mog and if you do can you compare the two for comfort, MPG speed etc? And lastly, motor size, I believe it would be 4.2 litre???

Do you have a Mog and if you do can you compare the two for comfort, MPG speed etc? And lastly, motor size, I believe it would be 4.2 litre???
    3.9 liter (238 cu-in)

Well the Mog I had was a ’66 404 DOKA, so not a fair comparison, as it was last used during the Spanish Inquisition to get people to talk.

The only ‘modern’ Unimog I’ve spent a fair amount of on-road driving/riding is an ex-military U1300. A hundred times more comfortable then my 404, and not a bad ride.

The best comparison I can make to the Fuso, is my 2002 Ford F-250 crewcab. I just got home last night from a 700 mile trip in the F-250, so a fair comparison to the Fuso trip I made last month. The Ford is quieter, and softer, BUT the Fuso has a 14,000 lbs rating and was at 8990 lbs, while the Ford is rated at about 9,000 lbs and was at 7,700.

I think with added sound damping in the Fuso’s cab, and customs springs/shocks set for its final weight, the Fuso will be on par with the F-250. Two things I like more about the Fuso are the upright driving seat position (bus like), this is just a more comfortable position for me. And the Fuso forces me to drive 55 mph (or less). Will the F-250 (mine has the V-10 gas engine), I always seem to be going fast to ‘get home sooner’. The Fuso driving is at a relaxing pace, and as my dad would saw “it is better to be the traffic, then trying to pass the traffic”. A more relaxing, not trying to pass every ‘slow poke’, worrying about Johnny Law and his ticket book drive. And at the end of the day, it is only a half hour or so that was ‘saved’ by going ‘fast’..

I had a 12 hour day, and a 14 hour day driving the Fuso home, and at the end of both, I was fine, not stiff, or worn out. This was completely stock, with a driver’s seat that could uses some new seat foam. Overall much-much nice then I expected. It is no Cadillac, but it sure is no 404.

fg rpms.JPGfg rpms1.JPG

RPM/speed example with SRW 34.9" Toyos. 2006 SWB FG84

Based on my garmin GPS, the speed is correct.

(With the stock wheels and tires the speedo was off about 5mph. When I singled it out and added tire diameter, the speedo corrected itself.)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast