FG fuel economy

kerry

Expedition Leader
Just completed a 7600 mile journey in the FG. Most of that driving was on interstate highways at around 63-4mph. Fuel mileage was 11.3 mpg. That's lower than has been reported her by others and lower than my initial measurement early in the trip. Had 3 kayaks on the camper.

Last edited:

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Typically, I get 10 mpg at 60 mph but it jumps to around 14 mpg at 50 mph or lower. The latter was seen in the mountains at 7000 to 10000 ft.

VicHanson

Adventurer
I hope you had a good trip Kerry. I just drove from Florida to Minnesota, about 2,000 miles, and averaged 15.5 with my Isuzu NPR. The bad news is that I had a tail wind for much of the way. That was driving at 55 mph. Heading for California in about 10 days, sure that will drop as I hit the mountains.

Vic

kerry

Expedition Leader
Typically, I get 10 mpg at 60 mph but it jumps to around 14 mpg at 50 mph or lower. The latter was seen in the mountains at 7000 to 10000 ft.

I guess I'm not out of line then. I did drive at slower speeds for about a tankful and I noticed a marked difference in how fast the fuel gauge moved.

Amesz00

Adventurer
Just got back from a 4 week, 6000km offroad trip with dad, took his big MAN and my "little" canter. havent done the final fuel calculations yet, but all through the trip I was getting consistently 5.8-6.2 km/L, mostly over rough dirt roads, desert dunes, and huge corrugations. Gotta be happy with that from a truck...

engineer

Adventurer
Hey Andrew,
Thats pretty good considering I get about 4.5-5 klm/ltr from our with a fully loaded bus.
Your at least 20% up on our economy!! Goo work mate, all the efforts with the truck paid off!!
Chock

Amesz00

Adventurer
Hey Andrew,
Thats pretty good considering I get about 4.5-5 klm/ltr from our with a fully loaded bus.
Your at least 20% up on our economy!! Goo work mate, all the efforts with the truck paid off!!
Chock

Yer cheers mate, i spose i should probly add that i didnt have alot on board, all up would not be more than 4.5T, i think this, the 11.00R16s, and DPchip contributed to this fuel figure.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Just brought a FG down from Cairns to work. Did the first 734kms at 100 + kph and got 20.6 litre per 100kms (4.85 KPL). Then did the next 614 kms at around 85kph and got 13 litres per 100kms (7.7KPL). This has some bodywork over the front which aids with the aerodynamics some but probably not that much (see the pic below). It was on duals with 8.25R / 16's. 85 kph was at 2700rpm. I haven't calculated the last 300km's yet.

Oh BTW this was a FG637 . Maybe an '02 model. So no turbo and mainly had the original exhaust. It had a full bus body on it too so I guess it must be around 4 and a half ton give or take a couple of hundred kilo's.

Big difference at different speeds, huh? I've done the math 3 times now and get the same answer. It used quite a bit of oil on the first leg too and not a drop on the second. Must be a moral to the story somewhere.

4244576410_cb4920eddd_o.jpg

Last edited:

bptp7270

Adventurer
I use my 649 Dual cab pretty much like a normal work ute. As I tend to stay under 90kmh, mainly because it seems to most relaxed at this speed, my economy is constant at around 16Lt per 100ks. Not really cheap to run, but what other 4x4 ute can carry a 3.6 meter long load inside the tray! And you look down on landcruisers...

Amesz00

Adventurer
And you look down on landcruisers...

yeah, its good aye- i love even more, looking down on drivers of jacked-up F250s, whos drivers' are always shocked to learn there are bigger things on the road than them... :p

engineer

Adventurer
They are on opposite ends of the scale....
Our 6x4 l/cruisers (hdj79) don't use too much fuel on the highway at speed, but the fg649, OMG can they drink...., but on the low speed sections of Daintree, where we do around 60 km/hr the cruiser drinks and the little tractors (fg649) just sip.
Does anyone know the diff ratios on a Canter????
Criuser is about 4.1:1 i think,.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles