FlipPac wiring and windows

Frostymug

Observer
First post here but I’ve been lurking for years. So thank you everyone for sharing your vast Expo knowledge.

I recently purchased a 2010 Tacoma access cab 4x4 TRD off road model for my build platform. The first modification will be the purchase an AT FlipPac. Before I place an order I wanted to get recommendations from FlipPac owners regarding preinstalled wiring and window options.

The standard FlipPac comes with one incandescent interior light. Any additional wiring to be built into the FlipPac for lights or anything else needs to be specified at time of order. What wiring options are recommend for pre-installment? Or is it better to add wiring after the fact, as needed?

What about windows? Side windows are an option and are available in two sizes as well as a windoor. I’m inclined to forgo the side windows in order to allow more build out options. What are the advantages/disadvantages of side windows?

The standard front window is a fixed slider but a fold-down window is an option. I like to keep my windows clean, is there enough space between the cab window and the FlipPac window for cleaning or is the fold down window needed?

Any ordering suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cliff

SilverBullet

Explorer
I don't have a FlipPac, but have drivin lots of camper shell vehicles. I recomend a windoor on the passenger side to keep your blind spot at least somewhat viewable (I think the ATFP has a front window option too). Then build your cabinets/cuoch behid the drivers side.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The LED light option from AT is huge - talk to Mario for details. Well worth the money as it gives you more/better light and multiple 12V sockets. Also, recommend a second battery (national luna power pack or similar) for house power. I went with no side windows for strength/watertightness/privacy and maximum use of interior cubic feet for cargo.

billy bee

Adventurer
Lights/Wiring
The used FP I bought has two DC lights in it, both on the driver's side. I ran a hot wire from the driver's side battery all the way to the trailer hitch and wired the lights to the battery. I run that hot wire in most of my trucks, making it easy to tap into power.

The two DC lights provide plenty of illumination, but I will add additional electrical supply in the camper. I will probably wire in 12V outlet, an inverter, and maybe a 1/4" plug for a light above the sleeping area. This light will have to be portable and attach to the tent framework only while the tent is deployed.

BUT, I will install all that stuff into one panel in the bed of the truck rather than into the shell. So, my plans would not call for any additional wiring or lights in the shell.

Windows
My camper is way too close to the cab to reach between them. But the cab has a slider, making it possible to clean the exterior of the shell window. A tilt-down window sounds pretty good, however.

My shell has two screened, sliding windows, one on each side. I often travel with my dogs and having the ventilation for them is important to me. I will be making some window covers for privacy while camping in crowded areas. Like the visibility, too.

HTH,
bb

Bikeman71

Observer
The LED light option from AT is huge - talk to Mario for details. Well worth the money as it gives you more/better light and multiple 12V sockets. Also, recommend a second battery (national luna power pack or similar) for house power. I went with no side windows for strength/watertightness/privacy and maximum use of interior cubic feet for cargo.

I am picking up my Flip Pac for a 2008 Toyota Tacoma (four door, long bed) later this week.

The options I went for on mine are the following:

17 gallon water tank with outlet for an outside shower that has hot water capabilities.

LED interior lights that TacoDoc refers to above.

NL Power Pack

No extra windows.....added security

Rain Fly

F35 Awning

These extras add up when it comes to price, but I still came in well under a Four Wheel Camper "Shell" version that would have no extras.

I built a comfy living area that will slide right in. I have spent literally 50+ hours researching storage/living quarters on this very site and I can't wait to get the camper and make it all come together. With any luck, I will post pictures of the entire build by the weekend.

Bikeman71

Observer
I'd like to see detailed pics of this! :drool:

Yes, I will be spending the day with Martyn and Mario....I will take pictures as they pull everything together. I am so excited....I'm not sleeping well because I can't wait to get everything wrapped up.

My wife is about to kill me....I'll get an idea at 11PM and head out to the garage to make a change to the platform so I don't forget the next day.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
My wife is about to kill me....I'll get an idea at 11PM and head out to the garage to make a change to the platform so I don't forget the next day.

Sounds familiar, I went through this during my build and still have the urge to make upgrdes occasionally

Shipfitter's Disease is a serious condition! :snorkel:

Frostymug

Observer
SilverBullet – The blind spot is a concern. I might block out part of the rear cab window to mimic a shell without side windows and drive around for a couple of days.

TACODOC – Do you find yourself using both LED lights at the same time or is one light enough? Down the trail I’ll probably add a fridge, which will require a second battery. Any issues with the blind spot on the right side? Looking at your build thread I see you added a center high mounted brake light. Was that pre-wired? If not, how did you attach the wiring to the inside of the shell? By the way I think I have Shipfitter’s Disease and I haven’t even started yet.

Billy bee – I though about installing a light at the top of the tent pole and possibly running the wiring inside the pole? Ventilation for the dogs is a good point, thanks.

Bikeman 7 – Sounds like you’re ordering all the stuff I should get. I too would like to see pictures of the water system. If possible please take pictures of how the awning is mounted and how the rain fly attaches.

Cliff

eugene

Explorer
Sounds familiar, I went through this during my build and still have the urge to make upgrdes occasionally

Shipfitter's Disease is a serious condition! :snorkel:

I never knew there was a name for it. I'd opt for bare minimum from the factory because I know I'd replace it all within a year anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior