DIY Window tint

preacherman

Explorer
Anyone ever done it?

I found lots of pre-cut kits for my truck in the $90-100 range. My Trooper does not have window tint and it was 130 deg when I got in it today:Wow1: And today was not a hot day for us, it was only 90!

Any suggestions or tips on DIY window tint?

Errant

Explorer
I don't know about TX, but in CA there are a million and one places that will do it for you for $100, so I've never even considered messing w/ the DIY kits.

angusdevil

Adventurer
There are even lots of places that will come to you to do tint. Just had a buddy do it and it was done really well.

preacherman

Explorer
I found one kit for $30 that uses a name brand tint. It's tempting because places in my area want $350 to do my trooper.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I've done my own in the past. The keys are patience and cleanliness.

I pay to have mine done now.

I've done my own in the past. The keys are patience and cleanliness.

I pay to have mine done now.

Exact same story here.

I've done 5 vehicles and just paid to have my last one done. The warranty and no hassel-ness of it made it worth while. $120 for my car.

YJake

Adventurer
Been wanting to do this to the hard top on my Jeep. It gets as hot as the Devil's ******** in there during summer! :Wow1:

There happens to be lots of those tint "shacks" in parking lots around town. I'm sure tempted to give one a shot one of these days.

-Jake

SilverBullet

Explorer
Even Best Buy locally does it here, so check the chain, they might do it cheap too. I would have it done for the warrenty against bubbles too.

chasespeed

Explorer
My Rodeo was done for around 120..... My Caddy, 150.

If you want to travel, and hit the beach, I can name a few places in Corpus that'll take care of ya...

Chase

Team Wild

Observer
If you do it yourself make sure the windows are clean.. Razor blade them down. Keep everything extermely wet. Dont touch the tint to anything or you will have dust in the window. Tuck in your window gaskets so they don't touch and get dirt in the tint. Peel tint about half way and start at the top of the window. Squeegy the water out really good. Don't roll the windows down for a couple days to prevent pealing of the edges. Careful of those automatic windows that roll the window up all the way with one touch of the button, they will haunt you.

Good luck.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've done 2 BJ60s and an F350 crewcab. Sound advice from above post! It isn't rocket surgery, but take your time. I just had to take the tint out of my
pickup for an inspection and will price out a pro job to replace it. For the two side windows in my truck it will probably cost about the same as just buying the tint film...

JohnMcD348

Observer
I'd seriously consider checking around and letting your fingers do the walking. Find places that have been around awhile. Sometimes, it's worth the extra to have a professional do it. I've had 1 installer that I've used on all my vehicles for nearly the past 20 years and won't ever do it again unless they go out of business. Many of the pro shops will also offer a warranty so if it goes south in a few years, you can get it redone. That alone is worth the extra. Getting the old glue off the windows is beyond a pain.

riverrat88

Observer
I find it takes more time but is much easier and comes out better when i have taken the windows out and do it on a table instead of on the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior