Another Boot Thread.

Akecj7

Observer
I recently had my interview for our county SAR unit and have started the search for some boots. I am willing to spend a little coin (250ish) as these will hopfully last a while. I have fairly poor ankles so the more ankle support the better. I have been looking at a couple of boots. Any suggestions on these or others that have used.

http://www.danner.com/boots/quarrytm-loggertm-2-0-gtxr-plain-toe-work-boots.html#ReviewHeader

http://www.danner.com/boots/flashpointtm-mens-womens-plain-toe-work-boots.html

The Flashpoints are probably at the top of my list. I know a few Hotshots and they like them. I also believe that either of these can be sent in to be resoled.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Pro...n/Footwear/Filters/Mens/Outbound-Mid-GORE-TEX

The merrells I would look at either the full leather or the synthetics.

If there are others please let me know your experiences would be great.

Ghostship

Observer
I love the Danners. For SAR I use the Fort Lewis uninsulated in the summer and the 600g in the winter. They give me good support and are still flexible enough to be dragged behind the dog. I think any of their models would probably work fine for you.

Michael

Fish

Adventurer
Most wildland firefighters use either White's or Nick's boots. I've been trying a dual certified Haix boot out, but I find it's way too heavy. I've switched back to my Whites for fires.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Honestly I am not a fan of danner's they do not fit my feet for anything. Now I am at a cross roads here because I am a firm believer in White's. I wore a pair for quite a few years and if your looking for a full grain leather boot, that's the route for sure.
On the Merrell side though, while I have not worn those particular boots but I have worn the reflex and one other by them and by far they are the most comfortable hiking boot I have ever worn.

Akecj7

Observer
Thanks for the info, I would love a pair of whites but they are about double the cost of the Danners. I am going to try and get to a Cabelas and try on a pair of the Danners to see how they fit. I dont do any wildland fire fights but our unit has worked with fire crews during major fires near residents homes with evacuations and such.

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Whites

Whites are expensive and worth every penny! I have 3 pair and one of them has been resoled 3 times! Wear them everyday-none better! I have a tip for you on breaking in a new pair...
1. Set them in the bathtub and fill with warm water. Leave overnight.
2. Next morning dump out the water and towel dry as thoroughly as possible.
3. Put on 2 pairs of socks.
4. Lace up the boots and wear them until dry!
5. Don't leave out Step#3!
Works like a champ and they'll last you a loooong time! The pair that have been resoled 3 times are about 20 years old and still my favorite! My wife got me my third pair and they are exotic dress boots-only wear them when dancing!:victory:

Akecj7

Observer
Whites are expensive and worth every penny! I have 3 pair and one of them has been resoled 3 times! Wear them everyday-none better! I have a tip for you on breaking in a new pair...
1. Set them in the bathtub and fill with warm water. Leave overnight.
2. Next morning dump out the water and towel dry as thoroughly as possible.
3. Put on 2 pairs of socks.
4. Lace up the boots and wear them until dry!
5. Don't leave out Step#3!
Works like a champ and they'll last you a loooong time! The pair that have been resoled 3 times are about 20 years old and still my favorite! My wife got me my third pair and they are exotic dress boots-only wear them when dancing!:victory:

would you recomend this for Danners as well?

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
All full leather boots can be "broke" in in this way. I know a lot of loggers in AK, my uncle included, that would take a new pair of boots and throw them in the bay for the day. Ware them till dry and then re oil them. Steady upkeep of full grain leather can really make a pair last. Lots of different isea on the proper maintenance of leather. Mink oil has always worked well for me. I have used bear grease, mink oil, linseed, and every "brand" oil out there that the boot companies offer. Still prefer the mink.

Oh, wow! Now, you have me wondering if I should hold my money for boots instead of clothes!

I do have two pairs of Red Wing hiking boots that I currently wear (one black, one suede) plus a third pair that's in storage in case one or the other gets sent off to be resoled, BUT I want to see if I can find another pair of hiking boots in a AA or A width. The Reds are the best fit I have been able to find locally, but they're really too wide (as the tongue area clearly puckers from too much eyelet closure).

I'm asking because I'm about to go through E. Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and the northeast coast around Boston. Does any one know of where I can find a bootmaker or seller that is located within these states and sells a boot for women that is an A width? I may even have to consider a men's model, as for instance, Danner has narrow men's boots, but no narrows for women's models that I have looked at. My concern with men's is whether or not they would fit my arch, considering that women have shorter arches than men in general, given the same physical overall length measurement.

Thank you!
Stephanie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94