Have you weight your vehicle in ready for trip condition?

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Had mine unofficially weighed a couple of weeks ago...4620 included baby and 1/8 tank of fuel, no spare, no tools, no camping gear.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I've weighed my 4 door at the local dumps scales as a customer prior to most of my mod's

Where are you all weighing your rigs? Do the CHP truck scales on the highways allow us to weigh our rigs?

Casper

Adventurer
Funny, I have been wondering about this over the last year. Weighed my 2000 Xterra with 1/2 tank of fuel, no tools, no parts, no camping gear, no Porthos. 5920. :Wow1: Took a look at what I carry in the X, it's gotta be at least 100 to 150 lbs(and that doesn't even include Porthos at 150 an me at, well you don't what to know) :Wow1: Won't even mention the Chaser behind the X. Now I am looking at way's I can shed the lbs. (hehe, both me and the truck) Probably going to loose the rack, rear bumper and front bumper. With that I should lose a couple hundred pounds each. Bumpers will be replaced with lighter ones.

OK, enough rambling, back on topic.

off-roader, I weighed in at a local quarry. If you don't need a cert, they will do it for free. If you can't find something local, ask the DMV, they always know where you can weigh in since certain vehicles need to be weighed to register them.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos

jcbrandon

Explorer
2007 Dodge Power Wagon crew cab loaded for a five-day, 400-mile overland trip: 7880 pounds (3,581 kg).

Full tank of gas (34 gallons, 129 liters), four jerry cans of extra fuel (21 gallons, 80 liters), four jerry cans of water (21 gallons, 80 liters), driver (200 pounds, 91 kg), camping, recovery, and emergency gear, groceries in the fridge, and personal kit. That gives me a 150-mile fuel reserve and it's still 630 pounds (286 kg) under the GVW of 8,510 pounds (3,868 kg).

Loaded like this, I'll get 14 miles to the gallon on the highway on the way to the trailhead 700 miles (1,126 kilometers) away, with a 10 percent fuel reserve.

When I got the truck I weighed it including a full tank of gas (34 gallons at 6.15 pounds per gallon) and me in the drivers seat. It was 6,500 pounds (2,955 kg). I've since added a few hundred pounds of armor and equipment. The truck is just under 7,000 pounds (3,181 kg) as it sits in the driveway, ready to roll to the coffee shop or Home Depot.

I've weighed the truck at the DMV, the dump, and at a truck stop. The dump scale is consistently a couple of hundred pounds high.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Fully loaded Defender 110, 2 people for a week (so lots of beer) we weighed 6900lbs. This was at one of those highway patrol truck checks. We just stopped and asked! The GVW for the truck with current suspension is 7716lbs. Did not get a front/rear distribution.

This is an oldy moldy thread that just bubbled to the surface. While it is in the top layer of the thread pool:

My 1960 Land Rover Dormobile (Ford 302 engine, American T-18 gearbox, Rear Salisbury axle (Dana 60 built under license), with all three fuel tanks filled (42 gallons), the water tank filled (15 gallons) the fridge stocked, camping gear aboard to stay out indefinitely, Me and an adult Irish Wolfhound on board weighs in at 5790 pounds (2630 kilos). Front axle weight = 2560 pounds, rear axle weight = 3230 pounds

I stopped off at the local land fill on my way out for a trip, put the front wheels on the scale, read the weight, put the whole truck on the scale, got the weight and drove part way off to get the rear axle weight.

Series Land Rovers are designed to have 70% of the payload weight on the rear axles. My truck has the one ton suspension under it. The suspension was designed to carry a maximum of three 167 pound persons plus 2240 pounds of cargo cross country.

Front axle max = 2550 lbs, rear axle max = 4200 lbs total max for the suspension = 6750 lbs. So my heavy winch puts me 10 lbs overweight in front but I'm over sprung in the rear. Next time I need springs I will go down to the next softer rear spring but stick with the same front springs. Last winter when I needed a new valve job, I replaced the cast iron heads with aluminum heads that were about 50 lbs lighter, swapped the brass radiator with an aluminum one and I weigh about 30 lbs lighter than I did when I weighed the truck. So hopefully I've shed that extra 10 lbs off the front axle.

It really helps to know your vehicle weight, weight distribution and suspension capabilities. Just loading your truck down assuming your suspension will take it is a way to end up with a broken suspension after that over exuberant accidental whoopsy daisy. And if you are over sprung you are not getting the best ride or articulation from your truck.

Just throwing suspension parts under a truck without knowing your loaded off road axle weights is not a good idea. So for those of you who replied without actual weights, I suggest that you get thy beast to a public scale and look at your suspension specs.

What you find may be an eye opener :Wow1:

Last edited:

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Interesting this popped up again since I'm working off the flab. Last time I weighed the ranger it was 5200 lbs (1472 lbs of gear). The past couple days I've swapped out some equipment for better, lighter stuff and ditched some useless gear. Right now I'm setting at 1095 lbs of gear, so I'm estimating the total weight is 4845 lbs. I mentioned the gear weight mainly since the payload capacity of my truck is 1260 lbs. I've been way over that and have broken the suspension a few times.

In addition to TeriAnn's post. Keep in mind when going up/down hills all the weight shifts to the front or rear. I had stock springs in the front and noticed while going down hill the suspension was nearly fully compressed. Small bumps made the front a-arms smash into the frame with a couple tons of force. Just some food for thought.

Mamontof

Explorer
Fully loaded Tahoe Z71 2000 with 2 people for a week ( all food on board ,
refrigerator and culler , box of cider for wife( I should buy more as 24 bottles
that way i will have more beer for me ) , 8 wine bottles and 2 24 bottle cases
with beer for me . Diving equipment and 28 gallon of gas plus some misclassifying:ylsmoke: crop what why know why i take on that trip :Wow1:)

Weighed 5499 Lbs. :smiley_drive:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
4Runner fully loaded with 2 passengers, 2 large dogs, and enough crap for a month long expedition (but we were going on a 5 day trip) :sombrero:

... 5413. GVWR 5250.

Haven't got the trailer weighed in yet, but its probably around 1000 lbs. loaded.

... bringing the grand total to around 6500 lbs.

Poor little engine. Don't worry, sweetie, Daddy will get you those 5.29s soon!

Haven't yet weighed the stock Cruiser.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Well stated by Ms. TeriAnn. Too stiff and too soft are both negatives.

I weigh my vehicles often, empty (wet), loaded for trips, with/without trailers, etc. Knowledge & data is power and safer. Run the right tire pressure, suspension PSI (if air), and make other adjustments based on the facts.

snip... lbs lighter than I did when I weighed the truck. So hopefully I've shed that extra 10 lbs off the front axle.

It really helps to know your vehicle weight, weight distribution and suspension capabilities. Just loading your truck down assuming your suspension will take it is a way to end up with a broken suspension after that over exuberant accidental whoopsy daisy. And if you are over sprung you are not getting the best ride or articulation from your truck.

Just throwing suspension parts under a truck without knowing your loaded off road axle weights is not a good idea. So for those of you who replied without actual weights, I suggest that you get thy beast to a public scale and look at your suspension specs.
snip...:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94