Fuel filler through canopy??

kennyv

Hello all,

This is my FIRST post.

I am thinking of fabbing an aux. fuel slip tank for the box of my 01 Nissan Forntier Crew Cab. I was planning on running the filler through the side of my factory fiberglass topper. Any thoughts and/or suppliers of filler necks, fuel doors etc.? Any similar setups?

I have been looking for a forum with similar interests as mine, I've found a home!

Thanks
kennyv
CANADA

articulate

Expedition Leader
kennyv said:
Hello all,

This is my FIRST post.

I am thinking of fabbing an aux. fuel slip tank for the box of my 01 Nissan Forntier Crew Cab. I was planning on running the filler through the side of my factory fiberglass topper. Any thoughts and/or suppliers of filler necks, fuel doors etc.? Any similar setups?

I have been looking for a forum with similar interests as mine, I've found a home!

Thanks
kennyv
CANADA
Aw, dude, I'm ashamed that no one has spoken up . . . in any event, I'm glad you've found a home.

I'm not familiar with doing this, so I'm giving you a little bump to the top. Good luck.

Here's to life,
Mark

kennyv

Hay Thanks,
Maybe the others are not familiar with the term slip tank, or maybe I'm using it out of context. Having said that, a slip tank to me is a vertical type fuel cell that fits up tight against the front of the box. Typically there hight is only as tall as the side of the truck box as well. My thoughts at first were to crawl in the back of the truck to re-fuel, but a co-worker suggested running the filler to the outside of the truck, then he said how about the side of the canopy!!?? I hope that makes a bit more sense?

Thanks for the bump...

kennyv
CANADA

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Hi Kennyv - welcome to ExPo! Where in Canada are you from? There are a few of us on here.

You can do a fuel fill via the canopy if you use something like a fenderwell fill kit with a fast fill neck similar to what is used on race trucks. Essentially it's just a filler point that comes through the body with a flexible clear tubing that goes to the tank. The only problem is that filler would have to be pretty high up with a tank like that. Something like this: http://www.jazproducts.com/fuelaccess.htm

You might want to check into the laws on that though - municipalities up here are pretty sticky sometimes. I know that transfer tanks are pretty restricted - you know those tanks where guys fill up their bobcats, etc with diesel? You can't even overnight park some in some residential areas without technically breaking the law. Pretty sure you can't put one of those under a canopy legally here either. But since the tank you are speaking of is directly connected to the fuel system of the truck it should be OK.

Otherwise, there are a couple of slick auxillary tank installs on this site with excellent filler points. They have mostly been underbody tanks, but you might get some ideas out of it. Just do some searches in both the Toyota and Land Cruiser sections to start...

Pete

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think it sounds like a decent idea, but I'd make sure the filler neck has enough flex in it to account for the fact that the shell is likely to flex a little bit independently of the bed if you get into serious twisty roads. Probably not a big deal as long as you plan for it. But it would sure suck to get a leak from the filler neck, especially if you didn't discover the leak until you tried to fill the aux tank with gas! :eek:

Cummins

Make sure to vent the tank out from under the canopy. west coast marine has some options and fittings as well.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Builder Certification and rollover protection

One tank supplier I use has a manufacturers EPA certification sticker on tank and another for the door jamb w/build date. I could not get any fabricator to build a replacement aux tank for my Suburban because of liability issues.

I suspect using aftermarket racing tank and proper fittings, filler, venting to outside of cabin and grounding would be a safe bet. However, I'd also setup a rollover venting system to be sure EPA/DOT regulations are followed along your safety and the safety of others as priority.

Anyway, whatever approach you decide upon keep it safe and secure, GOOD LUCK!

I suggest the following FATS system for rollover/venting protection, I use it!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2712471

chnlisle

Adventurer
Years ago I had a Nissan with one of these on it. I had something very much like the Maggiolina Air Top on top of the rack as well as a 35 gallon fuel tank. It worked great and gave me great range especially down in Baja. But it required a certain amount of driving caution with all or that weight up high.

Attachments

• 265_camper-truck.gif
    265_camper-truck.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne