Jerry can for spare fluids

HopLite

We've all used the 20l (5gal) Jerry cans for fuel and water. Has anyone used them to store & stow engine coolant? Engine oil? Gear oil? After all, they are just containers meant to contain a fluid.

I was thinking of a 5gal can with pre-mixed engine coolant, a 2.5gal with engine oil, and a 2.5gal with gear oil (trans, transfer, front and rear diff all using the same). I can't think of a better way for on-board keeping of spare fluids. Does anyone have past real-world experience in doing so?

The drawbacks that I see: (1) make sure to pre-filter any particulates or crud from the fluid (2) some difficulty in adding the fluid...would need a funnel or appropriate hose.

Any thoughts?

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I've never used one for that, but I've started carrying ATF, Oil and Antifreeze in the bigger containers. I have the one gallon ATF and Antifreeze and the 5.5 Quart oil.

All the containers are nearly the same size and pack well.

CJCA

Adventurer
Personally, I consider it mandatory to use jerry cans / MFCs for their labeled purpose. It prevents cross contamination and possible poisoning from storing non-specified fluids in containers. It's the reason I refuse to buy or own used water cans. You never know what's been stored in them in the past.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I also keep the fluids in thier original containers. I keep them all in a plastic box, so if they do leak/spill, it's contained.

I try and keep only unopened, new bottles, (and put the opened ones in the shop) but with a CJ, you're always adding something:coffeedrink:

CJstuff379.jpg

HopLite

I was planning on stenciling "50/50 coolant" or "10W SYN BLND" or "80W/90 HYPOID" on the outside...thus permanently re-purposing specific jerry cans for specific fluids.

It just seems that the jerry can is so well proven. The logical extension is...Why not run with it for all fluids and not just fuel and water?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I was planning on stenciling "50/50 coolant" or "10W SYN BLND" or "80W/90 HYPOID" on the outside...thus permanently re-purposing specific jerry cans for specific fluids.

It just seems that the jerry can is so well proven. The logical extension is...Why not run with it for all fluids and not just fuel and water?

I can't imagine needing fluids in the quantities you describe but if i did, your plan would be a great way to go. I'm assuming (rightly, I suspect) that you're wise and responsible enough to pull it off safely.
Seems like you could easily mod an air powered "siphon" to get gear oil into a diff/tranny.
Seems like Gerry cans would be safer than plastic containers, too. I've lost count of how many people I've heard tell stories of a leaky plastic container of some kind.
Let us know how it works.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
What cans are you using? Wedco/NATO as well as Scepters have identification built into them. The popular steel NATO cans use a drop in placard that was very likely for different fluids and could easily be made custom for your own purposes. Scepter used different color straps, red for petrol, yellow for diesel, etc. This leaves, grey, green, sand, etc to identify things as you wish.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper

Properly stenciled, they'd work great. I use an old jerry can for waste oil, and an old water jug for when I flush the radiator.( Both marked clearly.) They work great for transferring the waste product to the recycle place.

As far as transferring the oil/gear oil, they make some great hand pumps for this.

The one I have is made for a gallon jug, but it would be easy to transfer oil to a gallon jug using the jerry can spout. (kind of hard to get a 5 gal jerry can under the rig to fill the diff/T-case/tranny)

As far as in my expedition rig, it's having the room to carry these that would be my concern, as I run in either my CJ or XJ, and space is at a premium.:coffeedrink:

Sirocco

Explorer
For international travel Jerry cans will be what we use as the mileage we will cover will dictate at least 2 service intervals, whilst I know you can get oils in the most far flung corners of the world, I would feel safer knowing our lifeline (rig) has been using contam free stuff brought from the UK. Your idea is excellent, but as an alternative you could try these if smaller quantities were required: http://www.fluiddefense.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?openid=180

Whilst original containers may suffice, over long distances they may wear and leak. maybe acceptable on a backcountry trip, but after carting them for over 10,000 miles out of your home country, I would be a little upset if they finally leaked everywhere! They are also an odd shape so packing is not all that efficient.

The oilsafe drums would also be good for dispensing into from the can and out of into the vehicle.

G

HopLite

I have an few extras of the NATO style metal 5-gal can. I have historically used the manufacturer's plastic jugs...but have occasionally found them to leak after many many miles. While standing in my garage and thinking of a better solution, my eyes just landed on the NATO cans...then drifted onto the stack of empty extras. Now that it seems that I am not completely off my rocker, I'll thoroughly clean and label a few while brainstorming how to make fluid transfer more spill resistant without cross contaminating hoses/spouts.

Yudda

Adventurer
I have an few extras of the NATO style metal 5-gal can. I have historically used the manufacturer's plastic jugs...but have occasionally found them to leak after many many miles. While standing in my garage and thinking of a better solution, my eyes just landed on the NATO cans...then drifted onto the stack of empty extras. Now that it seems that I am not completely off my rocker, I'll thoroughly clean and label a few while brainstorming how to make fluid transfer more spill resistant without cross contaminating hoses/spouts.

This is what i use:

German army surplus.

can-1.jpg
(2) 5 ltr jerry cans (Oil and ATF)
center "can" is hinged and contains my parts cleaning brush, shop towels, bottle of Brake fluid, grease, carb/brake cleaner, and a few small often used tools.

All 3 fit in the bottom tray... which is great for organization during trail repairs.

There hard to find now....but after a long search on Ebay... i finally snagged one. Cost me $50 shipped to FLA

Also....Living where i do, i always carry a large Jerrycan full of water in the back...it is drinking water....but its also there if the coolant system should develop a leak.

Hope it helps,

Rob

Last edited:

Michael Slade

Untitled
I had that same kit posted for sale here almost a year ago. It's all nice'n'purty with custom colored powdercoating and a full set of tools.

Not one bite.

I have a second kit that I do use for spare fluids. I always thought it was the perfect use for it.

_SLD1698.jpg

1speed

Explorer
I had that same kit posted for sale here almost a year ago. It's all nice'n'purty with custom colored powdercoating and a full set of tools.

Not one bite.

I have a second kit that I do use for spare fluids. I always thought it was the perfect use for it.

_SLD1698.jpg

Did you sell it? I didn't see it 4 sale. I was bidding on one on ebay several months ago and it went too high. If you still have it and want to sell it, let me know how much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles