My Waeco fridge meets it's end...

Youngunner

Adventurer
Well, after one year of flawless performance, my Waeco CF40 is finally dead. It just recently sprung a mysterious leak of coolant and no longer cools when running. I've contacted Dometic and a few RV fridge repair places and the consensus seems to be that it is junk now. I guess the only good thing is it cost me $100.00 off craigslist. I guess it's time to part it out and find something new!

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Im kinda retarded when it comes to HVAC stuff, so bare with me. But, cant you fix the leak and re-charge it?

~ James

chasespeed

Explorer
Yes and no.

If it was refrigerant that was leaking, YES, it could be repaired and fixed. BUT, the cost to fix it, could very easily outweigh the cost of replacing it.

He mentioned "coolant". So...

BUT, if you want to ship it off somewhere.... I am an HVAC guy... my outdoor fridge is a Keg cooler from a bad that my buddy owns... smoked compressor, and wasnt worth it for him to pay someone to fix it.......

Chase

esh

Explorer
Was it a random failure or was the cooler used and abused? Just curious about the circumstances. The CF40 has been bouncing around Aussieland long before ARB and the rest started thinking of going to the DanFoss setup.

Kevinj110

Observer
This is going into an area I am unfimiliar with but couldnt you recharge it with es12a that stuff seemed pretty easy and cheap to use.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Often portable refridgerators don't have refrigerant ports such as those on a common setup, thus fixing and re-filling them is more than a fix on your auto for example. There is an RV shop that specializes in HVAC stuff here in SLC that has been able to fix portable appliances in the past, I'm dropping off a troubled unit in the next couple days there to see if it is worth recharging. I'll let you know what they charge.

Youngunner

Adventurer
I was thinking about trying to add ports to the system for filling. The factory fills and seals the system during production. The most frustrating part is I can't find the leak!

chasespeed

Explorer
You really need to take that to someone with the right tools.

I know that fridge uses R134a. But, exactly how much, I dont konw. And on small appliances, that is VERY critical.

depending on the leak, you'll need nitrogen to flow through the system while making the repair, and then a good vacuum pump to bring that into a deep vacuum. THEN worry about charging.

Oh yeah, not to mention the EPA license.

Chase

Youngunner

Adventurer
I just went ahead and picked up an Engel MT45 with a bunch of other goodies including an additional 3 year replacement warranty. Should be here in a week!:wings:

chasespeed

Explorer
SO.... whatcha gonna do with that old unit??????? There are a few of us HVAC/R guys on here.....I would love to get my grimy hands on that...

Chase

alan

Explorer
Was it a random failure or was the cooler used and abused? Just curious about the circumstances. The CF40 has been bouncing around Aussieland long before ARB and the rest started thinking of going to the DanFoss setup.

Waeco don't have a good reputation in Aussieland, the compressor is good but the rest of the fridge gives problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier