73-91 Suburban Duramax Swap

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I have heard of it done into a pickup of the same era. A Cummins would be much cheaper and easier to do. A duramax has a lot of electronic gizmos and wiring. If all the electronic gizmos aren't all together like a family your engine and trans won't work. Eg. ECM and I believe the Instrument panel have to be together and programmed to be together or no go. I know there are aftermarket controllers for the trans but am not sure about the engine. Again a cummins would be much cheaper and it has been done quite a bit so you can learn from other peoples mistakes, not your own.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Yes it has been done many times, but like has been said cost will be a factor.

Standalone contollers are available for both the Duramax and the allison. Ever thought of using a Manual tranny, The Bell housing bolt pattern is the same as the old stuff, You could use a Chevy NV4500 or even a ZF5 or ZF6 out of a wrecked Dmax truck but stick Dmaxs are very scarce.

What series of Dmax were you planning on using?

mcgall83001

6.2 /6.5

Have you looked at a 6.2 or 6.5? It's a far cry from a Cummings but but will probably cost less than half. There is aftermarket support to correct some of the shortcoming of the engine.

+ no electric to worry about.

lstzephyr

wanderer
A friend of mine had some dash problems with his duramax, it took something like 3k to fix the problem. :Wow1: I don't know if that included labor or what but that right there made me uninterested in one.

Outback

Explorer
Trust me. The Duramax and Allison are not the best combo for your Sub. I would get a sub with the 6.2 and then install a Banks Sidewinder Turbo kit on it. 20 to 24 mph and longevity plus good power.

Rot Box

Explorer
My neighbor swapped a D-max/Allison into a 72 GM pickup that he transformed into a crew cab. Awesome looking truck but its proven to be a retirement project! :Wow1:

I like the idea but time is money and that swap would take a lot of both! :bike_rider:

coreys88burban

Adventurer
i was planning aduramax allison swap into my 88 burban. duramax will be wire for wire with what you can you as GM wiring is the same i mean colorwise such as the starter wire (always purple..and so on) but it is a lt more money. also you need a custom crossmember for the engine and transmission. then you need a custom wiring harness to work with you inst. cluster (PPE makes them if u send it all in but it expensive) and a cummins will be cheaper, and all the swap parts including a crossmember are made and affordable. me i plan a 12v cummins (stock) with a Suncost stg V. Allision Transmission. then later on moddin the 12v to about 450-500hp and 700-800tq world class automatic trans and long lasting engine that will litterly run on **** if needed..not a bunch od sensors like a duramax..the mechanial cummins wil run on just about anything u put into the fuel tank hahaha:victory:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
A Duramax sounds like a perfectly good way to ruin a solid old Suburban. If one must have a diesel, that is what Cummins engine is for. A Banks equipped 6.2 or 6.5L aren't too shabby either.

bfdiesel

Explorer
A slammed three door with a duramax and 6 speed allison would be the reason I was asking not really an expo reason. I don't think their doomsday diesel is going to be going far after they have an em pulse to destroy their transmission controller.
I do like the idea of a 12v p pump with a manual transmission (g56 or eaton fuller) in a quad cab ford OBS. This truck is actually a goal of mine once I get a house with a shop/garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior